You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons swap picks with Texans - Jamaal Anderson for us?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spush

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:
Willis 40 time was great

Hes 3 cone and short shuttle were..S-L-O-W. Several inside backers recorded better times.

Willis was supposely pure straight line speed..Combine and Pro day feed into that.

I think Willis is being over valued at this point...Davis Harris is a similar type talent ...And Harris is thought of as a mid 2nd round pick(I believe Harris has more upside)

From my understanding the buzz on Willis is he is strictly a Tampa 2 inside backer who isnt a sure tackler but can get deep drops on passing downs which makes him an everdown player, and toughness is also in question. Sounds like Cato June to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spush wrote:
StillersFury wrote:
Willis 40 time was great

Hes 3 cone and short shuttle were..S-L-O-W. Several inside backers recorded better times.

Willis was supposely pure straight line speed..Combine and Pro day feed into that.

I think Willis is being over valued at this point...Davis Harris is a similar type talent ...And Harris is thought of as a mid 2nd round pick(I believe Harris has more upside)

From my understanding the buzz on Willis is he is strictly a Tampa 2 inside backer who isnt a sure tackler but can get deep drops on passing downs which makes him an everdown player, and toughness is also in question. Sounds like Cato June to me.

He's a lot bigger than June - June is 6-0, 225, Willis is 6-2, 240.
spush

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He's a lot bigger than June - June is 6-0, 225, Willis is 6-2, 240

yep, he plays a different position too, I meant similar styles. Not physical, more finesse.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spush wrote:
Quote:

yep, he plays a different position too, I meant similar styles. Not physical, more finesse.

Ok, gotcha... I guess it just depends on who you read, I've seen a lot of good things written about him - he's a top 10 or 15 pick, he's the best LB in this draft, etc... I really haven't seen too much negative about him at all....
spush

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
spush wrote:
Quote:

Ok, gotcha... I guess it just depends on who you read, I've seen a lot of good things written about him - he's a top 10 or 15 pick, he's the best LB in this draft, etc... I really haven't seen too much negative about him at all....

Im not claiming to be a scout, Im just going on the film clips I and everyone else sees. Very productive, no doubt, but not the killer instinct I'd want in a MLB. But he's the best of an, at best, average overall class. In the right system, he very well could be a stud.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spush wrote:
RangerD wrote:
spush wrote:
Quote:

Im not claiming to be a scout, Im just going on the film clips I and everyone else sees. Very productive, no doubt, but not the killer instinct I'd want in a MLB. But he's the best of an, at best, average overall class. In the right system, he very well could be a stud.

I wouldn't trade up for him, but if he's our pick at #15, I couldn't argue too much about it.
big--ben7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard reports that AP might still be there at 12 for the Bills if he gets past the Browns. If that's the case there is no trade neways. The Texans past on Bush plus signed A. Green. They need OL help for Shaub. I see Atlanta trading up to the 2nd pick to get CJ and Detroit taking Levi Brown at #8. I really don't want to trade up, we need our picks and more. Trade down.
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big--ben7 wrote:
I've heard reports that AP might still be there at 12 for the Bills if he gets past the Browns. If that's the case there is no trade neways. The Texans past on Bush plus signed A. Green. They need OL help for Shaub. I see Atlanta trading up to the 2nd pick to get CJ and Detroit taking Levi Brown at #8. I really don't want to trade up, we need our picks and more. Trade down.

We have 9 picks.

We have plenty of picks.

We'd still have 9 picks doing my proposed trade.

How many of our picks last year made the roster?

Rolling Eyes
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Anderson is all upside and seems to be a project similar to M. Williams from the Texans. Everybody is looking for the next J. Peppers and these guys aren't even close. J. Anderson only had one good year and has very little starting experience. While his numbers are great I don't think he's worth trading up for. I've thought before that maybe he'd could of been a R. Seymour type. But he could end up be a one trick pony and for the money the Steelers have to dish out to get him wouldn't be worth it.

2006 10th pick Matt Leinart got six-year, $50.8 million that's a lot of money to pay a guy who's only going to be a situational player.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
J. Anderson is all upside and seems to be a project similar to M. Williams from the Texans. Everybody is looking for the next J. Peppers and these guys aren't even close. J. Anderson only had one good year and has very little starting experience. While his numbers are great I don't think he's worth trading up for. I've thought before that maybe he'd could of been a R. Seymour type. But he could end up be a one trick pony and for the money the Steelers have to dish out to get him wouldn't be worth it.

You can say that about any draft pick. The draft is a crapshoot. Any player can bust, no matter what they showed in college (Bosworth). Any player can star no matter what they showed in college (Willie Parker). Jamaal Anderson has all the tools and ability in the world.

Anderson played in the toughest conference in the NCAA. He is the best DE in this draft. Gaines Adams didn't face anyone. If anyone runs the risk of busting, it is him.

Quote:
2006 10th pick Matt Leinart got six-year, $50.8 million that's a lot of money to pay a guy who's only going to be a situational player.

He'd be situational this year, start next year when we go 4-3.

Matt Leinart is a QB. They typically get paid higher.

And I always thought that the worst reason to avoid drafting a player is that he might potentially want a lot of money. That is the nature of the beast these days and if the player can help your team immensely, like Anderson could, you make it work. The only worse logic is saying "Don't draft a player because he might demand a huge contract when it is time for his 2nd contract." I've heard that before.
RangerD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:

You're not trading up if you think he's a situational player - (ok, he might be situational in 2007) - you're drafting him to be the cornerstone of your defense for the next 5, 10 years.

I mean, if the Steelers basically agree with you, then they'll sit tight at 15 and see what happens...If they think J Anderson is a stud, they'll have no problem trading up, just like they've done in the past....

As for the money - first off, Leinart's contract isn't the best comparison since he's a QB...second, the guy you take at 15 isn't exactly cheap to sign either.
big--ben7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:
big--ben7 wrote:

We have 9 picks.

We have plenty of picks.

We'd still have 9 picks doing my proposed trade.

How many of our picks last year made the roster?

Rolling Eyes

I'm sorry I should've said we need our 2nd & 3rd picks not more. I know we don't need more than 9. But we need our 3rd. I would like to see T. Hunt there. And trading down would give us at least another 3rd maybe 2nd. Our 4th last year didn't even make the team.
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Hunt lasting til 3.

We could grab Kolby Smith in 4 (who is the best "power back" in this draft, in my opinion).

1. Jamaal anderson
2. David Harris
4. Kolby Smith

Would be pretty nice...

BTW, we're picking 15 and we need an impact pass rusher. I don't agree with trading down. This is the year to trade up if there ever was one.
RangerD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
2006 10th pick Matt Leinart got six-year, $50.8 million

I tried to look up some other picks -

#9 overall Ernie Simms - 5 years - total undisclosed, but he got $12 mil guranteed

#12 overall Haloti - 5 years, $14 mil (doesn't seem to make sense considering what the Browns gave Wimbley, but that was the only number I could find)

#13 overall - Wimbley - 6 years, $24 mil

#14 overall - Bunkley - 6 years undisclosed

Basically, if we traded up to #9 or 10, the deal would be more like Ernie Sims' and not Leinart or Cutler
porterfarrior55

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
2006 10th pick Matt Leinart got six-year, $50.8 million

I tried to look up some other picks -

#9 overall Ernie Simms - 5 years - total undisclosed, but he got $12 mil guranteed

#12 overall Haloti - 5 years, $14 mil (doesn't seem to make sense considering what the Browns gave Wimbley, but that was the only number I could find)

#13 overall - Wimbley - 6 years, $24 mil

#14 overall - Bunkley - 6 years undisclosed

Basically, if we traded up to #9 or 10, the deal would be more like Ernie Sims' and not Leinart or Cutler

Exactly Qbs are obviously gonna make more. Just b/c people are pivked at the same # doesnt mean theyre gonna getr the same contract.

^props to saintsfan^

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: