Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens current needs:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Ravens current needs: Reply with quote

Here is my opinion of the holes that we currently have on our team:

Cornerback- As of now, weve got nothing behind Rolle and McAllister. Im not sure what kinda nickelback free agent options still exist so a corner in the 2nd or 3rd round(maybe even first depending on different scenarios) would make sense

Middlelinebacker- Polley, Boulware, Thomas, Cornell Brown and Rod Green give us solid depth and starters at outside linebacker however godforbid Ray Lewis be injured but weve got nothing behind him. This is why i like Barrett Ruud so much. There is no way we can replace the leadership and mentality Ray bring to the field, but we can do our best to replace his production. I also think he need someone to start taking some snaps away from Ray so we can add some more time to his career.

Defensive End- Weve got 3 defensive ends on the roster- Weaver, Jarrett Johnson and presumably Terrell Suggs in the 4-3. Either a true starter or a backup that can start in different formations and substitions seems necessary( **cough**David Pollack**cough**)

Right Tackle- Zeus is 35 years and is having a hard time staying healthy and who knows what the status of Ethen Brooks is. Its really too bad we couldnt sing cooper carlise because that would have satisfied this need, atleast for a year. We need to add depth and maybe depending on who is available take a future starter if someone represents good value.

C/G- A replacement for Rabach. Right now, i dont believe we have a backup center and i think our 3rd string guard is brian rimpf, the 7th round draft pick that has has only played in 1 game. I think guy that can play guard/center in the 3rd-5th round (Chris Spencer, Jason Brown, Richie Incognito) would be a good pick up.
mic79e

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there isn't an easy solution but what about DT!?
raven5255

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys might think im crazy, but i feel very comfortable about our DTs. I really think Kemo and Dwan Edward can handle the duty well. Kemo has been improving dramatically over the last few seasons and the reason must see something in him because they gave him the 1st round tender. I also feel very good about Dwan Edwards. He hardly played last year, but apparently he has been working very hard conditioning and in the weightroom. Also, because we took Dwan in the 2nd last year with our first pick, i think he might be ready to make an impact. The Ravens have only had 5 or 6 second round picks in their history and i can only remember 3 of them(Jamie Sharper, Gary Baxter, Anthony Weaver) Of those 3, all of them were expected to start or atleast make an impact in thier 1st or 2nd season. We havent seen much from Franklin, but hes gotta be tough to hang onto that roster spot for a few seasons. I think we could use a little more depth at DT, but unless we are presented with a great value at somepoint in the draft, i dont think we need to make an big changes to our DTs.
mic79e

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we switch to a base 4-3, then DT and CB are our two biggest needs in my mind.

I've said all this before but I'll say it again. Firstly, Kelly Gregg is awesome, he's a great player and I'm very comfortable with him. I also think, as I've said many times before, that Ma'ake Kemoeatu will take a big step this season, but there is a chance that he may not. The simple fact is that we have one proven starter at DT, and that makes it a much bigger problem than RT, MLB, E, C and G, where we have starters and are talking about needing depth.

Your right Kemoeatu did get a first round tender, but I think that is largely a reflection that we can't afford to lose him because we don't have anyone else, and there was no one else to sign this off-season if we lost him.

I'm waiting for some actual proof with Dwan Edwards. He can't be judged a failure because he hasn't got a chance yet. But when you compare the comments from the Raven's when they drafted him "solid player, ready to contribute" and the comments at the end of last season, which weren't negative but far more realistic, it was obvious that he hadn't been blowing them away, and they felt he needed to improve quite a bit to become a regular contributor.

The Ravens are obviously concerned about the position because they we're willing to give up a substantial amount (too much in my opinion) to trade for Corey Simon. They weren't just looking for depth they wanted a top calibre starter. This also indicates that they aren't yet fully convinced that Edwards or Kemoeatu are ready.

This is the one potential weakness in our starting defence and the Raven's know it.
Playaj21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better lawyers for Jamal, maybe he could get Ray's old lawyer? Very Happy
raven5255

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is the one potential weakness in our starting defence and the Raven's know it.

Yes this could potentially be a problem. However i still think a major injury to one of our LBs or CBs would be far more hurtful then having a less proven DT, but deeper DT group. Our linebackers are incredibly important for us. And this year our CBs will be too because they will be 1 on 1 most of the time. Its just my personal feelings, and while i agree that we could definetly use a new starter at DT, i feel comfortable with what we have and wouldnt mind if we only added 1 more guy for depth. Also, i think OLine is a bigger need then DT. With 2 great shutdown corners and Ed Reed, we can afford to put some extra help in the box to shutdown the run. However, even with the addition of Mason, we are still a running team and you cant run if your Oline is always beaten up. I think not being able to run will be far more harmful then not being able to stop the run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: