You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hey Hines and Alan!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelTough

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Hey Hines and Alan! Reply with quote

Think it's about to shut up and be a leader of your team and accept changes like Roethlisberger is?

Just a thought!

Thanks for being so cooperative!
Not.. Rolling Eyes
RangerD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno - I think this stuff is a little overblown. I wonder how many vets went to "voluntary" minicamp before the 2004 season when we went 16-2 or the 2005 season when we won the SB....? If it was 100% attendance, then I stand corrected...
porterfarrior55

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
I dunno - I think this stuff is a little overblown. I wonder how many vets went to "voluntary" minicamp before the 2004 season when we went 16-2 or the 2005 season when we won the SB....? If it was 100% attendance, then I stand corrected...

Im sure it wasn't 100% but we have a new coach and a new system. These guys are supposed to be the leaders of our team. They should definetly be there.

^props to saintsfan^
BigBen7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your blowing this a bit out of proportion SteelTough. But I do agree with you, it would be nice to see them set an example/tone for the rest of the team.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the Steelers have a new coach in place, I think all players should have made the effort to attend. Perhaps Ward and Faneca are trying to assert some authority or are showing their disapproval at Joey Porter's firing.

Considering Alan Faneca is entering a contract year, skipping the meeting could turn out to be a big mistake for him. I'm not saying he'll lose his starting spot (far from it) but it may result in Tomlin viewing him as a problem player entering the twilight of his career who isn't worth the hassle of keeping around post 2007.

Ward will stay because of his fat relatively new contract so he has nothing to worry about.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't think it's that huge of a deal.... I wonder if ALL the older vets in San Diego or Dallas or Miami or AZ etc....(any team that changed coaches this off-season) all showed up for "voluntary" minicamps?
azazaz7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
I just don't think it's that huge of a deal.... I wonder if ALL the older vets in San Diego or Dallas or Miami or AZ etc....(any team that changed coaches this off-season) all showed up for "voluntary" minicamps?

I've no doubt that all teams had some "no shows". I disagree with players doing that elsewhere too. I think it's a slight sign of disrespect (and perhaps contempt) towards the new regime.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azazaz7 wrote:
RangerD wrote:

I've no doubt that all teams had some "no shows". I disagree with players doing that elsewhere too. I think it's a slight sign of disrespect (and perhaps contempt) towards the new regime.

I'm just curious if maybe a mountain is being made out of a molehill here? I'm really curious now to see how many vets showed up last year for "voluntary" workouts....I'll have to try to look that up.... If Ward and Faneca DID attend "voluntary" workouts last year, then maybe they ARE trying to express some displeasure, and then I would agree with the first post....If they routinely miss the "voluntary" workouts every year, then it's probably no big deal.
azazaz7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
I'm just curious if maybe a mountain is being made out of a molehill here? I'm really curious now to see how many vets showed up last year for "voluntary" workouts....I'll have to try to look that up....

They're different circumstances though. Last year the Steelers had a veteran coach and the players knew his philosophies and schemes. This year it's a new beginning. No showing the first, albeit voluntary, meeting isn't a great start.

Maybe the guys who no showed last year were guilty of some of the below par play of the Steelers last year -- not turning up was a sign that they'd lost some of the hunger the win Championships and made them complacent. I'm willing to bet that Ward and Faneca were among them last year too.

While I agree it's not massively important in the greater scheme of things, I'm quite sure that Tomlin will have taken note of the absentees. If two players are viewed as being equal by the new coach yet one turned up at voluntary meetings and another didn't, who do you think Tomlin would pick?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,I've already said, I really doubt Faneca is here in 2008 - someone other than the Steelers is going to give him a boatload of money.
azazaz7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
Well,I've already said, I really doubt Faneca is here in 2008 - someone other than the Steelers is going to give him a boatload of money.

I agree with you. I'd love to take Ben Grubbs in round 2. If the Steelers add 4th and 5th round comp picks (for Hope and ARE), I could see a scenario unfolding where Grubbs was traded up for using the Steelers own 2nd, 4th and 5th rounders.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azazaz7 wrote:
RangerD wrote:

I agree with you. I'd love to take Ben Grubbs in round 2. If the Steelers add 4th and 5th round comp picks (for Hope and ARE), I could see a scenario unfolding where Grubbs was traded up for using the Steelers own 2nd, 4th and 5th rounders.

I agree that we should take a OG with our 2nd or 3rd round pick and I think Grubbs would be great if we are able to get him without giving up too much. However, I'd think there's a pretty good possibility Faneca would hold out if we drafted a OG reasonably high. I know we shouldn't let the players dictate who we draft/don't draft, but if we draft, say Grubbs, then we have Grubbs, Colon, Mahan, and Kemoeatu who can play OG, he's gonna look at that and say "there not going to keep me around more than this year, why should I even show up?"
treat88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really is no valid excuse given the money these guys make, their position on the team, and the presence of a new coaching staff for them to not be there from Day 1.

Yeah, it's no big deal. Yeah, most veterans may do it. Yeah, they've earned it.

Whatever the excuse is it rings hollow. They should be at the camp.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
STELRFAN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

gseabrook26 wrote:
azazaz7 wrote:
RangerD wrote:

I agree that we should take a OG with our 2nd or 3rd round pick and I think Grubbs would be great if we are able to get him without giving up too much. However, I'd think there's a pretty good possibility Faneca would hold out if we drafted a OG reasonably high. I know we shouldn't let the players dictate who we draft/don't draft, but if we draft, say Grubbs, then we have Grubbs, Colon, Mahan, and Kemoeatu who can play OG, he's gonna look at that and say "there not going to keep me around more than this year, why should I even show up?"

If he doesnt show up then oh well you have to move on without him you can fine him trust me when those fines start hitting he will show up trust me. They need to think about the future alan fanecas feelings are not important Boo hoo!

UML-Redskins GM GoSkins

Jamal Lewis seems to be a real uphill runner now. That's a problem. Downhill runners are preferred. Maybe he is running in the wrong direction. Espn DJ Gallo
Jdrocco01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly disagree with Alan Faneca and Hines Ward in this situation. They should be attending these meetings even if they aren't mandatory. It just gives them a better feel for the new head coach.

I've always looked at them as classy players, but I must admit this tarnishes that outlook a bit. They aren't just making themselves look bad, but are also giving the younger players a bad example.

I say bad move by Faneca and Ward. They should be better than that.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: