You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Move up in rd 2 for Ben Grubbs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYSteelers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Move up in rd 2 for Ben Grubbs? Reply with quote

So it sounds like Grubbs is a really hot option at G. If we picked him up in the 2nd, we could worry a little less about the boat load of cash Faneca will command soon and worry a little more about re-signing troy. . . And he's supposedly atheletic and smart enough to move to C.
porterfarrior55

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I defintely wouldn't be opposed to this. As long as we don't have to give up too much to move up.

^props to saintsfan^
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just draft an o-lineman with every pick.

It's not like we're trying to develop Essex, Colon, Kemoeatu, Okobi, Philip, and just signed Mahan or anything.

I want a team of at least 47 O-linemen. Just incase, you know?
gseabrook26

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:
Let's just draft an o-lineman with every pick.

It's not like we're trying to develop Essex, Colon, Kemoeatu, Okobi, Philip, and just signed Mahan or anything.

I want a team of at least 47 O-linemen. Just incase, you know?

You know you don't have to be sarcastic when you disagree with what someone posts. You do it a lot and it lowers your credibility. Are you saying that we don't need to draft any O-lineman this year? We only have Smith, Mahan, Kemoeatu, Okobi, Phillip, Essex and Colon signed for more than one more year. Out of those 7, I think that 4 of them are capable starters (and that's being generous to Essex). Mahan and Smith are the only proven starters, Essex and Colon aren't quite there yet but could be, Okobi, I think, will be released, Kemoeatu doesn't know how to spell his name, and Phillip is decent. If we are able to somehow sign Faneca and Starks then yes, we might not draft an OL. However, out of Simmons, Faneca, and Starks I see us only resigning Starks b/c Faneca might be too expensive and Simmons is on the decline. This is why I think we will be drafting an OG in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round.
Grubbs is probably the 2nd OG in the draft (behind blaylock) and I think could be good enough to step in for either Faneca or Simmons in his 2nd year.
Dook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need an OG more than anything, Levi Brown can play both OG and OT so he's the pick at 15 if available.

Ben Grubbs is probably the best in the 2nd round but he'll probably go to Oakland, Detroit, or Arizona. There's a chance that OG Arron Sears (who I'd take at #46) would be available.

If we can't get Brown, Grubbs, or Sears I would reach a bit for OG Manuel Ramirez at #46 so there's really no need to trade up in the 2nd unless the team thinks Grubbs is significantly better, which he doesn't seem to be.

I absolutely would not trade up in the 2nd for Grubbs. We need our 3rd to get a decent OLB.

I wouldn't be looking for a center at all now with Mahan, Okobi, and Philip. We don't need a 4th center.
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faneca is leaving NEXT year, not this year. We have time to develop a replacement with someone on the roster or a later round pick. Kemoeatu will be a beast when it clicks. He has all the physical tools, we just need the mental aspect to click. Not a sure thing by any means, but I have faith.

I'd take an OG in the 3rd or 4th. Definitely not in the 2nd.
BigBen7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:
Faneca is leaving NEXT year, not this year.

Really, has he told you this?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBen7 wrote:
Cutwolf wrote:

Sorry, let me rephrase.

Alan Faneca, the 1998 1st round pick out of LSU, is a Free Agent next year. A free agent is described by Wikipedia as

Quote:
Players that have played 5 or more full seasons in the league, and whose contract has expired, are considered "Unrestricted Free Agents"(see below) and have unlimited rights to negotiate with any club. Teams may name a single player in any given year as a "Franchise Player"(see below), which eliminates much of that players negotiation rights. This is a limited right of the team, however, and affects only a small handful of players each year.

When a player in the NFL (National Football League) reaches Free Agency, there is the potential that he might leave.

I am sincerely sorry that I misspoke when I said Faneca is leaving next year. It was clearly an error in judgment.

What I meant to say is that Faneca will likely leave next year as the Pittsburgh Steelers (an NFL franchise) will likely be able to retain one of the two major free agents: Troy Polamalu (the samoan) or Alan Faneca.

Since Polamalu is younger and has many more years left in him, Alan Faneca will likely be the odd man out.

I hope you can forgive me for my poor phrasing. If there is anything else I can do for you, BigBen7, don't hesitate to ask. I am so sorry once again.

Thanks for your understanding,
Cutwolf
porterfarrior55

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:
Faneca is leaving NEXT year, not this year. We have time to develop a replacement with someone on the roster or a later round pick. Kemoeatu will be a beast when it clicks. He has all the physical tools, we just need the mental aspect to click. Not a sure thing by any means, but I have faith.

Not only is Faneca gone, simmons will probably also be gone. And while we have young guys with potential, thats all it is right now. Kemo does have the physical aspects but he can't understand the offense yet. So it wouldn't hurt to add a OL.

^props to saintsfan^
skywlker32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:
BigBen7 wrote:
Cutwolf wrote:

Sorry, let me rephrase.

Alan Faneca, the 1998 1st round pick out of LSU, is a Free Agent next year. A free agent is described by Wikipedia as

Quote:
Players that have played 5 or more full seasons in the league, and whose contract has expired, are considered "Unrestricted Free Agents"(see below) and have unlimited rights to negotiate with any club. Teams may name a single player in any given year as a "Franchise Player"(see below), which eliminates much of that players negotiation rights. This is a limited right of the team, however, and affects only a small handful of players each year.

When a player in the NFL (National Football League) reaches Free Agency, there is the potential that he might leave.

I am sincerely sorry that I misspoke when I said Faneca is leaving next year. It was clearly an error in judgment.

What I meant to say is that Faneca will likely leave next year as the Pittsburgh Steelers (an NFL franchise) will likely be able to retain one of the two major free agents: Troy Polamalu (the samoan) or Alan Faneca.

Since Polamalu is younger and has many more years left in him, Alan Faneca will likely be the odd man out.

I hope you can forgive me for my poor phrasing. If there is anything else I can do for you, BigBen7, don't hesitate to ask. I am so sorry once again.

Cutwolf

Take it easy with the sarcasm, it is completely unneeded. This is the type of thing that turns out bad on this forum. No one likes to be talked down to, and I realize that is how you felt you were treated, but doing this back is not going to help anything.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:
BigBen7 wrote:
Cutwolf wrote:

Sorry, let me rephrase.

Quote:

Cutwolf

Cutwolf, stop being an a$$.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:

Where did I say that he's leaving this year? I didn't.
Pretty soon we will have to spend a reasonably high pick on OL. I'm not saying that late rounders can't develop into good players, but we can't rely on Kemoeatu and Essex to be the starters of the future. Kemoeatu hasn't shown that it's going to click and the mental part of the game is just as hard as the physical part of the game. Essex... well the jury is still out. He's shown that he can fill in for Smith, but personally I don't think he's good enough to be our future LT.
BigBen7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwolf, sarcasm is the lowest from of wit, remember that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Cutwolf wrote:
BigBen7 wrote:
Cutwolf wrote:

Sorry, let me rephrase.

Quote:

Cutwolf

Cutwolf, stop being an a$$.

No kidding, right after I pointed out that sarcasm isn't needed Cutwolf does it again. People won't take you seriously if all you do is cut them up.
Dook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:

Why wouldn't you take an OG in the 2nd? That's where the talent is.

Develop a replacement? That's either Kemo or Essex. I'd actually like to see Kemo get the start next season in place of Simmons but I don't see everything the coach's see. You can't just assume that second stringers are as good as starters, there's a reason they aren't starting.

Even if Kemo and Essex and Colon could start for us in '08 we can't wait until the '08 draft to take 3 offensive lineman. We need at least one OG this draft.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: