You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Other interesting things in the Wexall article

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RangerD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Other interesting things in the Wexall article Reply with quote

SIMMONS
Contract talk: Another experiment the Steelers will monitor is the move of right guard Kendall Simmons to center.

The team opened preliminary contract-extension talks with Simmons, Alan Faneca and Troy Polamalu, but are wary of becoming too involved with Simmons until he shows better potential at center than he has at guard.

The Steelers have had difficulty against teams with powerful defensive tackles across from Simmons because hes more agile than strong. The team believes that agility could be put to better use at center, as it was with Dermontti Dawson and Jeff Hartings.

KEMO
backup Chris Kemoeatu has yet to display an understanding of the offensive system, and the situation could only worsen for the third-year pro after new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians installs his changes.

STARKS -
According to a source with the team, if Starks is in shape, talks will begin on a contract extension. But if Starks reports close to the 400 pounds at which he reported last spring, the Steelers will let him play out his current contract.

TOMLIN PRO DAYS -
On Tuesday, Tomlin showed up at Arkansas to watch defensive end Jamaal Anderson and cornerback Chris Houston; on Wednesday, he watched wide receivers Dwayne Bowe and Craig Davis at LSU; on Thursday, Tomlin appeared at Florida State to see outside linebacker Lawrence Timmons; and on Friday, he showed up at Michigan to watch the workouts of prospects cornerback Leon Hall. Defensive tackle Alan Branch, inside linebacker David Harris and defensive end LaMarr Woodley.

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/sports/local_story_076234403.html
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Other interesting things in the Wexall article Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
SIMMONS

KEMO
[i]backup Chris Kemoeatu has yet to display an understanding of the offensive system, and the situation could only worsen for the third-year pro after new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians installs his changes.

wonderlik of 14. Not all of the tests results are a mistake.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
RangerD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Other interesting things in the Wexall article Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
RangerD wrote:
SIMMONS

KEMO
[i]backup Chris Kemoeatu has yet to display an understanding of the offensive system, and the situation could only worsen for the third-year pro after new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians installs his changes.

wonderlik of 14. Not all of the tests results are a mistake.

Yep, sometimes there's a legit reason why a guy is a 6th rounder...
azazaz7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I took from that is that the team want to move the starting RG to C while the backup isn't good enough. Faneca is entering a contract year (perhaps the reason Mahan was brought in?). Ben Grubbs via trade down anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

azazaz7 wrote:
What I took from that is that the team want to move the starting RG to C while the backup isn't good enough. Faneca is entering a contract year (perhaps the reason Mahan was brought in?). Ben Grubbs via trade down anyone?

Just reading between the lines on that, it seems like a lack of confidence in Okobi and Kemo - maybe Simmons and Mahan are pencilled in as the starters?
Also, agree about Grubbs or (whoever) as a Day One pick - even if Simmons works out great at Center, he's a UFA next spring...plus Faneca and Starks...so it wouldn't hurt to bring in potential replacements.
porterfarrior55

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
azazaz7 wrote:

Just reading between the lines on that, it seems like a lack of confidence in Okobi and Kemo - maybe Simmons and Mahan are pencilled in as the starters?
Also, agree about Grubbs or (whoever) as a Day One pick - even if Simmons works out great at Center, he's a UFA next spring...plus Faneca and Starks...so it wouldn't hurt to bring in potential replacements.

I think Starks will be given a contract shortly. However our G outlook for next season is very unknown. If simmons doesnt play well this season he'll be gone and Faneca, well he just might want the bank and we can't be like the colts and give all our money to just a couple players. So we definetly need to draft a G by the 3rd.

^props to saintsfan^
RangerD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porterfarrior55 wrote:
I think Starks will be given a contract shortly. However our G outlook for next season is very unknown. If simmons doesnt play well this season he'll be gone and Faneca, well he just might want the bank and we can't be like the colts and give all our money to just a couple players. So we definetly need to draft a G by the 3rd.

We could theoretically lose all three of them.

I really don't see Faneca returning unless he is willing to accept a 'below market' deal.... He's going to get $7 or $8 mil a year minimum, with a very large signing bonus/guaranteed money.
porterfarrior55

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
porterfarrior55 wrote:

I really don't see Faneca returning unless he is willing to accept a 'below market' deal.... He's going to get $7 or $8 mil a year minimum, with a very large signing bonus/guaranteed money.

Yes we COULD lose all three, but i dont think that will happen. I think we will resign Max and see what Simmons does this year. If he has a good yeart we'll resign him if not well let him go. I think Faneca is definetly gone unless he really wants to remain a Steeler.

^props to saintsfan^
RangerD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porterfarrior55 wrote:
RangerD wrote:
porterfarrior55 wrote:

Yes we COULD lose all three, but i dont think that will happen. I think we will resign Max and see what Simmons does this year. If he has a good yeart we'll resign him if not well let him go. I think Faneca is definetly gone unless he really wants to remain a Steeler.

Yeah, I agree, we'll probably sign at least one of them - but then again, if you can believe the article, they aren't 100% sold on Starks or Simmons...
Jdrocco01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Other interesting things in the Wexall article Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
STARKS -
According to a source with the team, if Starks is in shape, talks will begin on a contract extension. But if Starks reports close to the 400 pounds at which he reported last spring, the Steelers will let him play out his current contract.

Wow! Nearly 400 pounds. That is insane. I am sure he will get an extension. The Steelers probably just want to threaten him with a delay on the talks so he is more motivated to get in shape.

RangerD wrote:
TOMLIN PRO DAYS -
On Tuesday, Tomlin showed up at Arkansas to watch defensive end Jamaal Anderson and cornerback Chris Houston; on Wednesday, he watched wide receivers Dwayne Bowe and Craig Davis at LSU; on Thursday, Tomlin appeared at Florida State to see outside linebacker Lawrence Timmons; and on Friday, he showed up at Michigan to watch the workouts of prospects cornerback Leon Hall. Defensive tackle Alan Branch, inside linebacker David Harris and defensive end LaMarr Woodley.

I really like the players Tomlin has been looking at during the pro days. I would enjoy any of those players listed above on our squad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Other interesting things in the Wexall article Reply with quote

Jdrocco01 wrote:
Wow! Nearly 400 pounds. That is insane. I am sure he will get an extension. The Steelers probably just want to threaten him with a delay on the talks so he is more motivated to get in shape.

In Starks' defense - he was part of that USO overseas tour last year, he went to Baghdad and Afghanistan for about 2 weeks last year, so his off-season workouts were interrupted for a good cause, plus obviously all the Steelers started late due to winning the SB....

Also, when you're 6-8, and your playing weight is 350,360 showing up at 400 is about the same as a 225lb guy showing up at 250...
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only line looks like it might get some major changes. It's going to be hard to replace Faneca if he is release or chosen not to resign next year. The only thing the Steelers can do now is prepare for the future.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: