You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hybrid defense article
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktfuehrer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:
a 46 defense is a 43 personel package

Steelers could not play a 46 at this point.

The keys to a 46 defense is

an OLB who can cover a slot Wr and still play the run like a mad man...Think Seth Joyner...Think Wilbur Marshall...Think Adalius Thomas.

Mike Backer who can make every play vs the run..Also can get 30 yard drops in coverage..Mike Singletary Ray Lewis.

Front 4 who can pressure the pocket and the passer.

Both safeties must be able to cover Wr in man coverage

The Steelers dont have players on the roster to fill those positions.
IF Amobi Okoye is able to be drafted, the 46 is an option. The hybrid most people are thinking of mostly is a 3-3 type with a versatile LB like Adalius Thomas. Another form of the 3-3 hybrid is using 3 safeties, then by drafting Reggie Nelson, a DE/OLB in the second and then let Troy roam, this could be an interesting situation...

1.15 Reggie Nelson or Laron Landry
2.15 Lamar Woodley, choose whichever tweener you think will be the best.

The D would look like this...

A. Smith - C. Hampton - B. Keisel
C. Haggans - J. Farrior - Rookie or J. Harrison
I. Taylor - R. Nelson - T. Polamalu - A. Smith - B. McFadden

Last edited by ktfuehrer on Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
azazaz7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to defend StillersFury. While I don't agree with all that he says (I think he/you go a tad overboard on Troy Polamalu), he certainly seems to be a knowledgeable poster. IMO it would be extremely monotonous if we all agreed all of the time so StillersFury's views should be welcomed here.

StillersFury, if were drafting and wanted to make the Steelers compatable with a 46 defensive front, who would be the guys you'd target in the draft? For running multiple defensive fronts, who are the most adaptable players that the Steelers should, in your opinion, look at?

I'm firmly in the Adam Carriker (3-4 DE or 4-3 DT/DE) camp but I can see the merits of Anthony Spencer (4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB), Laurence Timmons (in more 4-3 schemes) or Jon Beason (Cover 2) either. I like Tim Shaw's selflessness in that he agreed to play DE this year to help his team even though it's not his best position. His versatility would become a great asset in round 3 should he be available. Likewise I'm fond of Anthony Waters or Desmond Bishop as a future ILB in round 4.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:
Stillers.com and its "spin off" Steelerfury may have a lot of anger amongst the posters, but they are actually some of the most knowledgeable posters around.

If you can be thick skinned about it, a lot of people know what they're talking about.

I know for a fact that some of the more knowledgeable posters here cross post at Stillers.com and Steelerfury.

You mustve visited a different Stillers.com than I have. I dont disagree that they have a few good posters over there, but you need more than thick skin to tolerate most of the so called "Steeler fans" over there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do we really need another thread bout staying on topic???

read the article, post your opinion, whatever the hell it is. it's all very very simple. you can cut other people apart, or you can try to foster a better understanding of your side of the coin.

you make the choice.... one way will make everyone roll their eyes everytime they see your name, the other will make them want to read what youre blathering on about.

c'mon guys. this shouldn't be so difficult. stop whining. this is football for god's sake.
StillersFury

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
StillersFury, if were drafting and wanted to make the Steelers compatable with a 46 defensive front, who would be the guys you'd target in the draft? For running multiple defensive fronts, who are the most adaptable players that the Steelers should, in your opinion, look at?

They must address the front 7...Since you were more then civil..I will stop being a - and talk football.

My view of the Steelers is simple..Offense is pretty much set. Many of you disagree...I understand that.

http://www.steelerfury.com/articles/title/An-Offensive-look-at-the-off-season/

http://www.steelerfury.com/articles/title/DE--FENSE/

Thats my feelings on the Steelers

Quote:
I'm firmly in the Adam Carriker (3-4 DE or 4-3 DT/DE) camp but I can see the merits of Anthony Spencer (4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB), Laurence Timmons (in more 4-3 schemes) or Jon Beason (Cover 2) either. I like Tim Shaw's selflessness in that he agreed to play DE this year to help his team even though it's not his best position. His versatility would become a great asset in round 3 should he be available. Likewise I'm fond of Anthony Waters or Desmond Bishop as a future ILB in round 4.

I explain in detail all the players mentioned in links above.

Articles were done prior to most teams pro days
RangerD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:
[
http://www.steelerfury.com/articles/title/An-Offensive-look-at-the-off-season/

http://www.steelerfury.com/articles/title/DE--FENSE/

Thats my feelings on the Steelers

Good stuff in there.
StillersFury

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: