You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why is it that...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RangerD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has their opinions and speculations as to how a "Steelers decision" is made on draft day, but unless you are Kevin Colbert, Bill Cowher, or someone with a last name of Rooney, you don't know for sure.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucksoh1 wrote:

Another thing is Washington runs a legit 4.4 so why you would say he is slow is beyond me he serves as a good # 3 WR and Ried is also a burner who could still yet produce. So WR is not even close to a need
If it is it will be a long season.

So, because Reid and Washington are fast, they are good?

Bethel Johnson may be the fastest reciever in the league, doesnt mean I want him as a reciever on my team.

For one, timed sepeed is overrated.

Two, it isnt their speed that worries me. At this point, they are good backups at best.

I never said I WANTED to take a WR in the 1st round, I just said if it fits, I wouldnt be opposed to it. I certainly wouildnt be opposed to drafting one in the 2nd round if Rice, Bowe or Meachem fell. If not, Id hope they would look for one early on the 2nd day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerD wrote:
Everyone has their opinions and speculations as to how a "Steelers decision" is made on draft day, but unless you are Kevin Colbert, Bill Cowher, or someone with a last name of Rooney, you don't know for sure.

Thanks for clearing that up... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywlker32 wrote:
Cutwolf wrote:
Cowher and Colbert share the same power ratio as Tomlin Colbert.

Cowher was, from what I've heard, given the benefit of the doubt when there was any discrepancies in who should be drafted, especially early on. I can try to find a link on it, but I am almost positive, and a new coach is less likely to be pushy with who he wants in the draft so as to not disrupt a balance.

I'm with you if Cowher wanted the guy he got him. It's already been said that Cowher would scratch guys off his list in the draft that wouldn't fit. Tomlin said he's not going to do that. I know Colbert never goes for BPA but things have already changed (hybrid 3-4) so maybe they will go for BPA. Cutwolf, I accutually like #1 Carriker #2 best OLB & 3rd T. Hunt. But I'm not so sure Carriker will be there at #15. And if they can't trade down do you want them to stretch? I think we need too much to trade up and lose a 2nd or 3rd.
skywlker32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big--ben7 wrote:
skywlker32 wrote:
Cutwolf wrote:
Cowher and Colbert share the same power ratio as Tomlin Colbert.

Cowher was, from what I've heard, given the benefit of the doubt when there was any discrepancies in who should be drafted, especially early on. I can try to find a link on it, but I am almost positive, and a new coach is less likely to be pushy with who he wants in the draft so as to not disrupt a balance.

I'm with you if Cowher wanted the guy he got him. It's already been said that Cowher would scratch guys off his list in the draft that wouldn't fit. Tomlin said he's not going to do that. I know Colbert never goes for BPA but things have already changed (hybrid 3-4) so maybe they will go for BPA. Cutwolf, I accutually like #1 Carriker #2 best OLB & 3rd T. Hunt. But I'm not so sure Carriker will be there at #15. And if they can't trade down do you want them to stretch? I think we need too much to trade up and lose a 2nd or 3rd.

You do realize that the Carriker in the first and so on is my ideal and not Cutwolf's, right? I'm just trying to keep you out of a mis-understanding.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Write this down...Most rookies dont make impacts right away. Ward is getting older. Not only could the reciever serve as a #3 for now, but could take over the role in a few years. Whether you want to admit it or not, at this time, we have no other good potential starters on the team outside of Ward and Holmes.

Ward has a solid 2-3 years left in him before he retires/moves on/moves to the slot. We can draft a wide receiver early next year.

Quote:
You can only blame so much on lack of a pass rush. Ike got burned far more than he should have, regaredless of the pass rush, or lack theirof. Why do you think Cowher benched him?

A lot of Cowher's decisions made no sense.

- Benching Ike instead of Deshea
- Not starting Anthony Smith although he was clearly the best option
- Wilson starting ahead of Holmes
- Colclough returning punts
- Saying "Holmes is our return man inside the 10 because he has surer hands." Think about it if you don't get why that is idiotic.

That is just from this year.

Quote:
And I laugh when people say Ike single handedly shut down CJ. I like Ike, but it didnt happen. Thats all I heard about in 2005, when the fact of the matter is they were bringing in Hope most of the game to help Ike cover CJ, and what happened. Housh and Henry lit us up. So thats not a good argument.

Chad Johnson disagrees

Quote:
"Well, Ike really isn't on the list," Johnson said. "But, on a serious note, he's very good. He's a good player. He's good, fast, quick. I did everything I could to make the plays I did."

----

As for Tomlin and Colbert sharing power...

Quote:
The Steelers' power structure will not change with the hiring of a young head coach, according to team president Art Rooney II.

The role of Kevin Colbert as director of football operations will be no different with Mike Tomlin as head coach than it was under Bill Cowher.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07025/756692-66.stm

That is all we have to go on. And the fact I think most people can agree Joey Porter wouldn't have been outright cut (at least not so soon) if Cowher was the coach shows that Tomlin isn't going to take anything lying down.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ward has a solid 2-3 years left in him before he retires/moves on/moves to the slot. We can draft a wide receiver early next year.

I was actually thinking that too initially, but this is a very deep recieving class, and if someone were to fall, I would like to pick them up.

Quote:
A lot of Cowher's decisions made no sense.

- Benching Ike instead of Deshea
- Not starting Anthony Smith although he was clearly the best option
- Wilson starting ahead of Holmes
- Colclough returning punts
- Saying "Holmes is our return man inside the 10 because he has surer hands." Think about it if you don't get why that is idiotic.

Ike got burned alot last year. I cant say DeShea was better, but it wasnt a terrible decision. Ike said so himself.

Ryan Clark played well, Smith is still inexperienced.

Wilson started ahead of Holmes because Holmes was havng problems grasping the offense. Once he caught on, Holmes was put in as our no. 2.

I dont get why RC was retruning punts either. Maybe because Reid got injured. Not sure.

Holmes does have surer hands, he just lacked the concentration.

Quote:
Chad Johnson disagrees

Quote:
"Well, Ike really isn't on the list," Johnson said. "But, on a serious note, he's very good. He's a good player. He's good, fast, quick. I did everything I could to make the plays I did."

Ike covered Chad, yes. But Palmer didnt throw to him much because Hope was always lurking. I watched those games a few times. Ike had help. He played well, but Hope had a big part to do with CJ being shut down. Like I said, look at Housh and Henry's numbers in those games...Housh's at least were great.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:
As for Tomlin and Colbert sharing power...

Quote:
The Steelers' power structure will not change with the hiring of a young head coach, according to team president Art Rooney II.

The role of Kevin Colbert as director of football operations will be no different with Mike Tomlin as head coach than it was under Bill Cowher.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07025/756692-66.stm

That is all we have to go on. And the fact I think most people can agree Joey Porter wouldn't have been outright cut (at least not so soon) if Cowher was the coach shows that Tomlin isn't going to take anything lying down.

Yep - like I said above, people can speculate all they want about who has (or had) the final say on decisions, but unless your name is Kevin Colbert, Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin, Dan or Art Rooney you're just guessing......
It was widely assumed after Donahoe was fired that Cowher was 1A and Colbert was 1B, but that was never "official" Steelers policy. Whether it was the unofficial practice, we'll probably never know....
skywlker32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Quote:

I was actually thinking that too initially, but this is a very deep recieving class, and if someone were to fall, I would like to pick them up.

I'm sorry I never understood this argument, but why would you feel that drafting a position that is very deep in this draft with an early pick is a good idea? The draft is deep at WR, so there will be guys that slip to the later rounds that will contribute significantly to teams. I've always felt that a deep draft means that you take that position a little later than you typically would unless it is a position that REALLY needs upgraded immediately.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Holmes does have surer hands, he just lacked the concentration.

Yes, but if Holmes has surer hands, he should have been back there FULL TIME not just inside the 10.

"Yes, it's OK for Colclough to be out there and fumble anywhere except inside the 10."

Doesn't make any sense.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywlker32 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Quote:

I'm sorry I never understood this argument, but why would you feel that drafting a position that is very deep in this draft with an early pick is a good idea? The draft is deep at WR, so there will be guys that slip to the later rounds that will contribute significantly to teams. I've always felt that a deep draft means that you take that position a little later than you typically would unless it is a position that REALLY needs upgraded immediately.

Thats why I said if someone were to fall in the early rounds. If Rice, Bower or Meachum fall to us in the 2nd round, and we already adressed a front 7 issue with the 1st pick, one of them would be invaluable. It is looking like Tomlin's i building for the future, and they would be inavluable. If one of them dont fall, then I agree we wait.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost certain the Steelers draft a need with our front def. 7. I also believe it's a much more possible we move up and not down in the draft.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: