You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers looking at Anderson, Timmons, Woodley, Harris...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Steelers looking at Anderson, Timmons, Woodley, Harris... Reply with quote

...among others

Quote:

TRACKING TOMLIN

The Steelers may still talk to free-agent punter Matt Turk, the brother of former Steeler Dan Turk, but all talks were put on hold last week as Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert hit the pro-day trail.

On Tuesday, Tomlin showed up at Arkansas to watch DE Jamaal Anderson and CB Chris Houston; on Wednesday, he watched WRs Dwayne Bowe and Craig Davis at LSU; on Thursday, Tomlin appeared at Florida State to see OLB Lawrence Timmons; and on Friday, he showed up at Michigan to watch the workouts of first-day prospects CB Leon Hall. DT Alan Branch, ILB David Harris, and DE LaMarr Woodley.

The most telling appearance may have been the one at Florida State, where Tomlin was the only NFL head coach. He drew the attention of Timmons’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, who was overheard telling Tomlin that his client would “be in better shape by minicamp,” according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Timmons measured 6-0 7/8 at the combine and weighed 234 pounds. He ran a 4.66 40 at the combine and didn’t improve upon the time at his pro day.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=2&c=627605

If you look at the Timmons thing, trade down seems likely. You look at the Branch (please God no) and Jamaal Anderson thing, trade up seems possible.

Just get here already, draft!
BigBen7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he showed up at Michigan to watch the workouts of first-day prospects CB Leon Hall. DT Alan Branch, ILB David Harris, and DE LaMarr Woodley.

Mike Tomlin I like the way you think(now don't screw it up Wink)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodley will be out of the NFL by 2010
BigBen7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:

Why?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust SF. He speaks the truth.

Woodley has bust written all over him.
StillersFury

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodley was a rock sock um college player...He played hard when inspired.

When Michgan tried a 34 Woodley disappeared and pouted like a child.

He quit in the middle of his workouts...Not a great impression.

He was dominated by quality tackles in college.

He is short...With a small lower body. Not strong enough to play the run in the Nfl

Not skilled or explosive enough to rush the passer
BigBen7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Woodley was one of the most highly sought after players in the country in high school, and he landed at Michigan with big expectations. As a freshman, he earned immediate playing time as a defensive end, and notched 23 tackles, four for loss, and two sacks on the year. As a sophomore, he moved up to a rush linebacker spot and had a fantastic season. He had a career high 70 tackles, 16 for loss, and four sacks. Woodley again had success getting into the opponents backfield as a junior, finishing with 48 tackles, 12 for loss, and seven sacks. It all clicked as a senior, when Woodley brought home the Lombardi award. He had 33 tackles, 15.5 for loss, and 11 sacks on the year.

LaMarr Woodley has the size and talent to play both linebacker and defensive end in the NFL. He is a rock solid 270lbs and has the toughness and strength to play on the line, but the instincts and athleticism to play off the line. He could be a big time pass rusher in the NFL if given the freedom to attack the quarterback. But he also shows the ability to stuff the run and make plays in space.

Although he fits a variety of roles, there probably is not one true spot for Woodley. He probably fits best as a 3-4 linebacker. His 6'2 height is less than ideal for an end or a linebacker. He’s not the freak athlete with blazing speed that has made other tweeners creep near the Top 10 of the draft.

LaMarr Woodley has had a lot of success at Michigan, and should continue that this year and in the future as an NFL defender. If he lands with a team that utilizes a 3-4 defense, he could thrive in a pass rushing role. He could still be a solid player if asked to play in a 4-3 as well, as a linebacker, or most likely, a defensive end.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love all these Woodley haters talkin out their back ends about him.

He wont fit well in some schemes because he doesnt have great size or speed, but if I knew we were gonna stick with the 3-4, Id love to get him in the 2nd round, because he will be a good pass rusher in a 3-4 as a OLB.

Those of you saying he will be a bust have nothing to back it up. He had 12 sacks last year at Michgan, and plays faster in the game than his timed speed will show. Whoever said he will be out of the league by 2010 is hater or seriously lacks football knowledge. Not trying to be mean but that is an absurd statement with absoulutely no way of backing it up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTM - trust me when I say that StillerFury has forgotten more football than most of us know.

Not including me, of course Laughing

Have talked with him on several message boards.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:
FTM - trust me when I say that StillerFury has forgotten more football than most of us know.

Well, I know a thing or two about football as well...not saying I know any more or less than him because I dont know him. But from the comments Ive see in this thread alone, I cant say Im on the same page as you.

I'll even go into further detail...lets start with his first comment:

Quote:

Okay, based on what? You could say this about any player in the draft really. Maybe this was an exagerration, I dont know. But I have seen no evidence to suggest Woodley isnt good enough to even make it as a backup in this league.

Quote:
Woodley was a rock sock um college player...He played hard when inspired.

When Michgan tried a 34 Woodley disappeared and pouted like a child.

He quit in the middle of his workouts...Not a great impression.

I never heard anything about this. Maybe you heard or know something I dont, but from what Ive heard, Woodley is a very hard worker and a team leader. Like I said, Im not a Michigan fan, but Ive done alot of studying on Woodley, especially prior to the season, and Ive never heard anything like that. Do you have a link or article to back these claims?

Quote:
He was dominated by quality tackles in college.

Well, thats what makes them quality tackles. And with 12 sacks and 15.5 tackles for losses, I dont think he was manhandled really.

Quote:
He is short...With a small lower body. Not strong enough to play the run in the Nfl

Look at players like Dwight Freeney, who is eerily simarly to Woodley in stature. I can see him not being great against tbe run, but he is not an elite prospects. You arent going to find a ton of players that are great against both.

Quote:
Not skilled or explosive enough to rush the passer

This I dont get. 12 sacks, 15.5 tackles for losses. From what Ive seen, he has a quick first step and is good at getting off blocks.

I just dont get some of your reasons. Maybe if you could shed some light on some of your comments, I could see more where you are coming from.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Steelers looking at Anderson, Timmons, Woodley, Harris.. Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:

Quote:

TRACKING TOMLIN

The most telling appearance may have been the one at Florida State, where Tomlin was the only NFL head coach. He drew the attention of Timmons’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, who was overheard telling Tomlin that his client would “be in better shape by minicamp,” according to the Orlando Sentinel..

I don't want Timmons if that idiot represents him!!!!!!!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steelers looking at Anderson, Timmons, Woodley, Harris.. Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Cutwolf wrote:

Quote:

TRACKING TOMLIN

The most telling appearance may have been the one at Florida State, where Tomlin was the only NFL head coach. He drew the attention of Timmons’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, who was overheard telling Tomlin that his client would “be in better shape by minicamp,” according to the Orlando Sentinel..

I don't want Timmons if that idiot represents him!!!!!!!

I was thinking the same thing...

NEXT QUESTION!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:

Or me of course, and my humble opinion tells me Woodley, Johnson, and Spencer bring 3 different games to the table and all 3 would be effective in thier own way as a Steeler. But I think Woodley's game translates the best of the 3. Call it instincts, call it field vision, call it what you want but he's got it. The guy looks good in pads, I'd love to have him on my team. Assuming we stay in a 3-4, if we're changing schemes any time soon which I doubt we need to look elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I never heard anything about this. Maybe you heard or know something I dont, but from what Ive heard, Woodley is a very hard worker and a team leader. Like I said, Im not a Michigan fan, but Ive done alot of studying on Woodley, especially prior to the season, and Ive never heard anything like that. Do you have a link or article to back these claims?

You can find a link at this very site about Woodley's problems with the 34 and Meeks in 2005. He failed to workout at the combine, quit at his pro day before Krummrie could get to him with a tweeked hammy,( read Brandt's review of the pro day at this message board) He did non contact foot drills and took no drops in coverage. Also was dominated at the Sr bowl and once again he had a mysterious hammy problems... You can never make a player play...You cant make a pit bull out of a poodle. Woodley is as soft as ice cream.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombineprofile.php?pyid=10128

From Nfl. Com

Quote:
Woodley (265 pounds) was invited to the Combine but did not run in Indy. He ran two 40s in 4.74 and 4.84 seconds and the short shuttle in 4.42. Claiming to have a tight hamstring, he skipped the three-cone drill. He also had a 38˝-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-9 broad jump and 29 bench presses.

Quote:
Well, thats what makes them quality tackles. And with 12 sacks and 15.5 tackles for losses, I dont think he was manhandled really.

I do...But I watch the games..I dont read stats or take other opinions for fact.

http://stats.ath.umich.edu/football/cmaster.php?pkey=1670

Quote:
Look at players like Dwight Freeney, who is eerily simarly to Woodley in stature. I can see him not being great against tbe run, but he is not an elite prospects. You arent going to find a ton of players that are great against both.

a few problems..Your comparing a RDE(Freeney) with a LDE(Woodley)...Your comparing a guy who ran a 4.44 40 with a guy who ran a 4.68 40...There builds may be similar there talent is not even close

Quote:
LaMarr Woodley | Defensive End | Michigan Wolverines

Woodley hasn't been high on most team's radars despite a strong career for the Wolverines, and a lot of his stagnant value can be attributed to him being undersized at defensive end at 265 pounds (Dwight Freeney size). While that isn't extremely small for defensive end considering Indianapolis Colts defensive end Robert Mathis is only 235 pounds (a smaller fullback), Woodley isn't even remotely close to the same speed range as Mathis or Freeney. Running 40s in 4.74 and 4.84 seconds, Woodley could find himself being switched to outside linebacker in the NFL. His status is currently in limbo as a marginal third-round pick.

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=kffl-nfldraftgrapevine&prov=kffl&type=lgns&league=fantasy

Quote:
This I dont get. 12 sacks, 15.5 tackles for losses. From what Ive seen, he has a quick first step and is good at getting off blocks.

I just dont get some of your reasons. Maybe if you could shed some light on some of your comments, I could see more where you are coming from.

He beat bums from Central Michgan and Iowa...Right tackles...Not even elite pass blockers.

Unless I could sit and break down film with you...I cant shed the light your looking for.

I made a few predictions over the past few months

Cowher would retire after the season
Steeelers would finish 8-8
Porter would be cut this off season
Nate Washington would cost the Steelers at least 3 wins.

I am not a poms poms Steeler media person..I write what I see.
skywlker32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SillersFury...in response to your comments about Woodley and his hammy injuries, I would just like to know if you have ever experienced it yourself. That is one of the hardest injuries to come back from, and takes some time. Woodley may have been slowed due to his hamstring and played less effectively as a result, I'm not arguing that at all, but he is by no means soft for taking it easy with that injury.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: