You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grant visits Tampa Bay
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LSUSAINT

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Grant visits Tampa Bay Reply with quote

Quote:
Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are bringing in Saints defensive end Charles Grant for a visit.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

If the Saints could get the #4 overall pick. Shocked Drool
SaintFanWalking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Grant to Tampa Bay? Reply with quote

For Buc's 1st round draft choice they can have him. Maybe Saints will include tickets to Jazz Fest,pot of gumbo, boiled crawfish, BBQ shrimp. Wouldn't have to wait very long on Draft day for Saints selection.
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO WAY for anything less than the Bucs' 1st rounder. We need to get BETTER on defense and not worse. I don't care what any of you say...Charles Grant is the best player on our defense. Nobody plays run defense on our D-line like Charles. What is the best that we can do with a 2nd rounder? replace Grant with an inferior 2nd round DE? I am not even so sure that I like the idea of taking a 1st rounder for Grant. Who would we replace him with? Gaines Adams? There is no telling if Adams is giong to be any good.
jonboynola

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings up all sorts of scenario's, We would have tons of options. For this years and next years 1sts he can go. We probably won't get anything for him next year anyway, since he probably will leave for another team. We should then trade down once (or twice) to around spots 12-15 and still have a shot at the best overall corner in the draft, Leon Hall and multiple other early picks.
GeauxLSUTigers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
NO WAY for anything less than the Bucs' 1st rounder. We need to get BETTER on defense and not worse. I don't care what any of you say...Charles Grant is the best player on our defense. Nobody plays run defense on our D-line like Charles. What is the best that we can do with a 2nd rounder? replace Grant with an inferior 2nd round DE? I am not even so sure that I like the idea of taking a 1st rounder for Grant. Who would we replace him with? Gaines Adams? There is no telling if Adams is giong to be any good.

No but we could take Okoye, who looks like he could be a great DL. Since we franchised him, doesnt that mean that they would have to give us alot of compensatory picks or do I still have no clue what the franchise tag means.

1958, 2003, and 2007 National Champions!
jonboynola

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeauxLSUTigers wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

No but we could take Okoye, who looks like he could be a great DL. Since we franchised him, doesnt that mean that they would have to give us alot of compensatory picks or do I still have no clue what the franchise tag means.

The Franchise tag is a tool used to deter other teams from signing away your best players every year. You can only use it on one player per year. Once the Saints used it on Grant, it guaranteed him to be paid at least the average of the 5 top DE's salaries for ONLY the upcoming season. Any team can still negotiate with Grant on a contract because he is still a Free Agent but the Saints have the option of matching the same contract from the other team OR letting the player go and receiving the other teams 1st round pick in this years draft AND their 1st round pick in next years draft.

Players hate it because there is no security in the Franchise Tag. If a franchised player gets injured during the season all the guarantees of a long term deal are pretty much gone till they have proven they are fully rehabilitated. It is basically an $8 million one year contract. Franchised players generally would be able to get 6 year deals worth $45 million and up with $20 million signing bonus' if they were allowed to go to another team without the determent of the Franchise Tag.

Hope I could help.
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Grant visits Tampa Bay Reply with quote

LSUSAINT wrote:
Quote:
Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are bringing in Saints defensive end Charles Grant for a visit.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

If the Saints could get the #4 overall pick. Shocked Drool

I could imagine Colston and CJ...or trading down and snagging Okeye and taking cate of DT for the next decade. There would be so many options. I would really hate to see him leave but for a position like that in the draft...I can say goodbye.

#BRINGBACKRITA #FIREPAYTON
GeauxLSUTigers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonboynola wrote:
GeauxLSUTigers wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

The Franchise tag is a tool used to deter other teams from signing away your best players every year. You can only use it on one player per year. Once the Saints used it on Grant, it guaranteed him to be paid at least the average of the 5 top DE's salaries for ONLY the upcoming season. Any team can still negotiate with Grant on a contract because he is still a Free Agent but the Saints have the option of matching the same contract from the other team OR letting the player go and receiving the other teams 1st round pick in this years draft AND their 1st round pick in next years draft.

Players hate it because there is no security in the Franchise Tag. If a franchised player gets injured during the season all the guarantees of a long term deal are pretty much gone till they have proven they are fully rehabilitated. It is basically an $8 million one year contract. Franchised players generally would be able to get 6 year deals worth $45 million and up with $20 million signing bonus' if they were allowed to go to another team without the determent of the Franchise Tag.

Hope I could help.

Lots of help, I appreciate it Wink .

I have to say, to turn down both first round for Grant. Hes good, but the # 4 overall good? Plus the Bucs probaly wont improve vastly next year so that one will probably be pretty early as well. Its still early but should the Bucs actually want to pull the trigger it would be hard to turn down if you ask me.

1958, 2003, and 2007 National Champions!
ako

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With their pick we could get Calvin Johnson, Leon Hall, Chris Houston, Alan Branch, Gaines Adams... not even talking about next year...
But man I love Charles Grant, why didn't we give him a contract extension instead of the franchise tag?[/b]
NOSaints

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we do get the 4th pick in this deal it has got to be CJ. Just like last year we didn't need Bush but we took the best player available. Adding CJ as an option for Brees would be great. Then at 27 we take best available CB, DE, or DT. Man I like Charles Grant but Calvin Johnson I just don't see Tampa Bay doing this.
Raves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might be looking for a long term replacement for Rice as he can start opposite of him this year and then next year rotate to the other side. That plus no one in the draft can be considered as reliable at DE compared to Grant. Also if they do sign him I say give an offer to Asante Samuels. We get the Buccs 1st rounders for Grant then we give our 2 for Samuels which are of lesser value than the buccs and get a CB that can anchor our team for years.
D24pick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it! CJ and Ross in the same 1st round is really good sounding. But unlikely to happen, they'd rather work out a trade with the Saints. I still would want a 1st round selection and give them our 4th with Grant sounds nice

-Saints Assistant GM FFMD07-
mattmatt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the craziest thing I have ever heard. but I love it. I don't see Tampa giving up 2 first for him though. they have 2 2nd rounders that i could see them giving up and then the Saints package 1 of those with our first to move up to get Chris Houston. Either way, I like it! b/c next year Grant will leave and we will get nothing...WOW

Keato
slcsaints

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be a killjoy here, but I can guarentee the Bucs won't give up two firsts for Grant and I doubt they will make a fair offer for him either. I think they invited him in to convince him he's being mistreated by the Saints and get him all riled up a la Lance Briggs. Then, they'll give New Orleans a low-ball offer hoping to get Grant on the cheap or, should the Saint decline, have Grant hold out most of the season and not have to face him twice. Call me a pessimist, but franchise tags are dangerous, especially when division rivals get involved.

But, boy, would Calvin Johnson look nice in a Saints uniform. Wink
Gator_Saint28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we got tampa bays first it would be the greatest thing... because we wouldnt have to play cj twice a year... if we got their first i say we trade down about 4 spots get omobi okoye and pick up another 3rd ....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: