Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

State of the D-line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Armyscout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: State of the D-line Reply with quote

By all accounts it looks like we are gonna stay with the 4-3, but we have only one starting DT and 3 starting DE. The report out of the weight room is that Sullivan did not make much effort to get into shape. I say we don't even give the guy one more year of a free ride.

Whats it gonna be? are we keeping Howard and converting one of the 3 DE's into a DT?

The only starting DT I see on the draft board is T Johnson, but the guy is a true NT and is being projected as a DT.

Trade Howard for a starting DT.
Tall_Ogre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see them drafting Johnson. Team had a bad run D. Only other person I really see them drafting is if by some chance one of the QBs Smith or Rodgers falls.
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

our DT situation sucks.

but i really don't want to get travis johnson...his scouting report stays that he takes plays off...and that kind of attitude scares the hell out of me. I say...that we do our best to get a later first rounder for Howard...then move down with that pick and get patterson (USC, DT). We could keep our 1st round pick and 2nd round pick to address OT, LB, or CB.
Armyscout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patterson looks good, but I question if there are any starters in this years draft. atleast half a season to possible a year before we get a solid starter.
I tell you what, this is one big crap sandwich! Freaking Sullivan!
We have already wasted 2 #1 draft picks and looks like we might waste a #1 or #2 to replace him.
Thats garbage. IF he was half of what we expected, I would have been ok, but disappointed: but you gotta be kinding me. He hasn't done anything to help this team. He's not even a solid back-up. 2 #1 picks. We can't even get that for a beast of a DE(Howard).
Somebody help me understand!!!!
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry...i can't.

sullivan is without a doubt the biggest bust in saints drafting history. we need somebody to replace him...but I just think that DT is extremely weak this year. Spears and Johnson...and that is it. patterson is #3 on my list....but he certaily doesn't excite me. as sad as it is to say this...we should probably just wait until next year for a chance at a good DT. I think that the Saints made a huge mistake this offseason by not addressing the problem in free agency. here is a toast to another year of not being able to stop the run.
Armyscout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an idea!

Why don't we go grab a DT that is just one huge mofo, like refrigerator Perry. 6'6 375-400 lbs. 10 second 40...... fruck it!

It would help shut down the run .... and get some heads to turn.
Hell ... he might even get his on fan club in the dome.

Then we can get the whole gang together for the next big Top 40 hit "The Super Dome Shuffle"
get AB and Duece and the rest of the gang to rap while Benson dances around twirling around his umbrella. Then we can solidify our Prime role as the laughing stock of the NFL.
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...great idea!

i wonder if rosey o'donnell would agree to play for the Saints. there is no way that opposing running back could get around here. unfortunately charles grant and will smith will have to come off of the edge for near the sidelines...but we would certainly plug the middle of the field.

on a serious note...rosie is fat.
saintsrule

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish we would switch to the 3-4. i think will smith would be just like a terrell suggs type pass rushing linebacker. charles grant could probably do it too. darren howard could play 3-4 defensive end without missing a beat. i don't know if grant could though. the problem is who's going to be the nose? i don't think brian young can do it. i hope howard green can come up and surprise us this year. he played pretty well a few times and hopefully he could take the place of sully and help us forget about him.

i think we should probably get thomas davis at 16. he could either play linebacker or probably more suitably safety. that means dwight smith could move to the corner opposite mckensie and bellamy would be the other safety. bellamy and thomas davis at safety and mckensie and smith at corner would terrorize receivers. no one would test the middle of the field. all are solid hitters with speed. fakhir brown at nickel would be solid too cause he can bring the wood. plus he's the one that chased randy moss down and hurt him for a few games last year.
Armyscout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hit it on the nail. We don't have a NT, so we can't go 3-4. Even if we did, we still have the problem of 3 DE and a young inexperienced LB corps. Best bet is to try out Grant in the inside and also Howard. Smith would get eaten up by a Guard or Center and probably by a large FB.

We need a Bad azz WLB or ILB. Watson is for sure, and I think Bolkwoldt will have an even better year now that he has some experience. So I propose we grab Ware for WLB or McCune or ILB.

Safety we could do the same with Poole w/ our 2nd pick and put at SS. Still do the same shift.
bnthall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armyscout and Saintrule, I inpart agree with both of u. I've taken an adamant stance on other post about the team's need to strenghtened their secondary this draft. However, if they can get a radar-lock LB in the 2nd, this teams defense will take a quantem leap in the right direction.

I do disagree with one point: DT Luis Castillo is capable of a starting at tackle. Amidst the steriod test, his stock has fallen thus given us an excellent chance to grab him in the 2nd or 3rd. Pat Williams also has the potential if he can get strong support from the rest of the interior defense.

Now, let us all pray for Sullivan. May he resurrect from his coma of a terrible NFL start to play up to his Saints-Front-Office-Only seeing potential. Amen.
Armyscout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you are right about Castillo as a possible starter, but that has nothing to do with his whole steroid/draft position issue. I think his best argument is that he was a True Freshmen starter, so he does have an ability for a quick learning curve. He also is not bringing w/ him some past injuries. the down side on DT is that it is such a big difference moving from college to pro. Look at Sullivan, he was such a beast at the college level, and flop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: