Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cornerbacks in the draft for the Ravens
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Cornerbacks in the draft for the Ravens Reply with quote

Ive been looking at the cornerback class a lot and trying to see where the Ravens can pick up their nickelback. To me it looks like there is excellent skill at the top of the class then there is a huge drop off after about the first 10 or 11 guys. In my mind, the following 11 guys would all make excellent to solid nickelbacks for us.
Antrel Rolle
Adam Jones
Carlos Rogers
Justin Miller
Fabian Washington
Marlin Jackson
Brandon Browner
Corey Webster
Bryant McFadden
Eric Green
Antonio Perkins

After that group i think there is a big drop off in talent and its hard to differeniate between the 4th rounders and the 6th rounders. Ideally i would prefer to take one of the guys i mentioned in the 3rd round, however if we want one of them it may have to be a 2nd round pick. I think a CB is a much bigger need for us then a lot of people think. If something would happen to McAllister or Rolle we would be in a lot of trouble. We dont even know if Deon is returning and even if he is, theres no guarantee he will be healthy when we need him. After Deon **if hes plays** weve got only Dale Carter and whatever late round or undrafted rookie CBs we bring in and thats not good depth. Unless we bring in another FA CB, we are gonna need to pick a solid one up in the draft at some point and they are going to have to be talented. Ideally i would like to get a guy like Eric Green in the 3rd or if we take someone in the 2nd, i like Brandon Browner and Marlin Jackson. However if we pass on a CB in rounds 1 and 2 and none of the 11 i mentioned are available in the 3rd we might have a problem. Whar are some 4th/5th round CB prospects that you guys like that might be able to have an impact at nickel for us?
I like Abraham Elimian from Hawaii, Derrick Johnson from Washington and Stanley Wilson from Stanford but other then that im not to sure.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that if we take someone in the second round, we wont take one in the first IMO, he should be like Browner or Rolle in that he could play either CB or FS. This way we have a nickel who could help add some competition at FS with Demps.

BTW- I realize that Rolle wont be there at 22, but we should look for that type of player IMO
Swedishraven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there's still some good ones left after the ones you mentioned but they're a bit less polished and would be a bigger risk. I'd prefer if we got our nickel in the 3rd round too since we're still basically one injury away from starting a rookie. Som late rounders i like:

Alphonso Hodge, Miami (OH)
Travis Daniels, LSU
Ronald Bartell, Howard (but he will probably go too early because of his great physical abilities)

I would like us to get Browner and with his bad 40 times there's a chance that he will be available in the 3rd round.
raven5255

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browner would be great, but i think if we want him we need him with the 2nd round pick. I think Eric Green and Bryant McFadden might be available for us in the 3rd. hopefully a guy like antonio perkins who is only a solid corner but maybe the best kick returner in the draft will go before them and push one of those guys a little farther.
mic79e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donít care what anyone else says about the position, but in todayís game you need 3 starting caliber corners. With offences like the Colts, Patriots, Chiefs, Raiders, Vikings you need 3 starting quality CBs to take on there starting quality WRs.

The fact that we have one of the best starting tandems doesnít mean we are set at corner, and as mentioned, one injury would severely change things. In addition to the lack of depth, we are also very old at the position, and need to add some youth.

I want us to add a corner in the first or second round (1st/2nd round talent in the third would also do). I like Antrel Rolle and Carlos Rogers, but a guy like Marlin Jackson is more realistic for us, and I would love to get him on our team.

Some of you have mentioned Bryant McFadden in the past few weeks, and I think he would be a great fit. The only prerequisite I have is that they need to be good at coming up in run support. Thatís my only knock on Carlos Rogers, but he is tough and might be able to improve in that area.

I donít have any real problems with us taking any of the guys that have been mentioned, as long as they are taken in line with their value.

As for second day prospects, I think there are a fair few that are worth taking, and two guys that I like that havenít been mentioned are Chris McKenzie (Arizona State) and Karl Paymah (Washington). Both have solid games, are good against the run, and, at the very least, would make good nickel backs.
mic79e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:
I think Eric Green and Bryant McFadden might be available for us in the 3rd. hopefully a guy like antonio perkins who is only a solid corner but maybe the best kick returner in the draft will go before them and push one of those guys a little farther.

Good point, I hope that happens too.
raven5255

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I donít care what anyone else says about the position, but in todayís game you need 3 starting caliber corners. With offences like the Colts, Patriots, Chiefs, Raiders, Vikings you need 3 starting quality CBs to take on there starting quality WRs.

I couldnt agree with that more. I also agree that somebody that can come up and help in run support will be very important. Marlin Jackson, Brandon Browner and Bryant McFadden are all very good in run support, especially Jackson and Browner since they seem to have a little FS in them. Believe it or not, PacMan is actually very good in runsupport despite being the smallest of the top end corners. Hes absolutly fearless coming up to tackle a big brusing 235 pound RB. Not that it matters because theres no way he falls to 22 anyway though.

mic79e, can you tell me a little bit more about Chris McKenzie? I know he's one of the fastest players in the draf,t but i also know hes only about 5'8 can you fill me in on him? The 2 2nd day prospect i probably like the most are Abraham Elimian and Dustin Fox. I like Fox because hes phsyical and can help with run support, plus he can play FS as well. Elimian has great work ethic and desire, hes a willing tackler and still picked off 11 passes in his junior and senior seasons.
mic79e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKenzie is easily the fastest corner in the draft, but he is also one of the strongest players pound for pound. He is very physical and is strong against the run, like Adam Jones.

The big knock on him is his height, but he does have very good leaping ability (42 inch vertical) that off-sets this to a degree.

He has a good upside because he started playing football late, and could develop into something special down the track. He has showed excellent progress in response to coaching from former safety Mark Carrier while at Arizona State. I think, at the least, he'll become a solid nickel in a couple of years, and because of this, and his ideal skills I think he's worth a second day pick.
raven5255

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. Im a big fan of Pacman and i really think he will suprise some people that think he will be a bust because of his size and im sure McKenzie could fall into the same area."its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog". Looks like McKenzie would be a solid late day 2 pick. thanks again for the info.
mic79e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, Jones has all the tools. Height is great, but you don't need it to be a top corner (Darrell Green, Aaron Glenn, Antoine Winfield). Even Dunta Robinson is a less than ideal 5"10, but the guy is an amazing corner, he will be one of the best.
raven5255

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Antoine Winfield is the best example of the success of a small corner and everytime i see someone say pacman will be a bust because of his size i just want to say look at winfield, hes a great tackler and a top 5 shutdown CB IMO
mic79e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise that a lot of people are totally writing off Jones because of his height. If we somehow ended up with him I'd be very happy.
raven5255

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man me to without a doubt. I dont care if we have Rolle and McAllister. I dont see anyway that a team would pass on us with those corners plus reed. Like we both agree, if something were to happen to Rolle or McAllister that means Dale Carter is our starting CB and thats a nightmare.
mic79e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you've got to have at least 3 that can start.

Of course that doesn't mean we need to get Antrel Rolle, Jones or Rogers, a lesser prospect who is still a potential starting corner would be fine. But I agree with what you just said. The better the prospect the better we'll be, and if we somehow end up with one of those top prospects then I'll be over the moon.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mic79e wrote:
I didn't realise that a lot of people are totally writing off Jones because of his height. If we somehow ended up with him I'd be very happy.

That would be pretty nice

Hey, It COULD happen. If Surtain goes to KC, Rolle goes to Tenn, Rogers goes to Jville, and noone else decides to jump in he could make it to 22. Not likely, but it could happen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: