Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will Fred Smoot be back in a Redskins uniform next year?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avbanig

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Will Fred Smoot be back in a Redskins uniform next year? Reply with quote

I still believe that Smoot will be back, but he wants to be paid like a top 5 corner. I don't believe that he is worth that kind of money, I believe he is more like top 10. The skins gave him an offer with an 11 million dollar signing bonus, word is that Smoot and his agent don't think that is enough.
They want more like 14 million.

Does anyone think Smoot is worth 14 million, or better yet, does anyone think he will get that kind of money from someone else?
MikeyB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he'll be back. It's just negotiations. I agree with you that he's probably about an 8-12 ranked CB. He wants to be here. He's a gritty player who plays hurt and is a vocal team leader. Gibbs loves those kinda guys.
Kukdiggity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skin for sure no doubt, he is our talker.

No one talks like Smoot talks, and he plays through pain all the time.
avbanig

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so, but they could get by with out him I think Walt Harris is only one step behind Smoot.

we would have to draft a CB in this years or next years draft though, to have a possible replacement in a couple of years, when Harris is done.

they need to use Smoot like the used Champ, if worse comes to worse, make smoot you're Franchise player.

That way if a team that needs a corner, and has 2 first round picks, like I don't know say Dallas, or San Diego, feels they want to give up one of those picks for a proven player we will get something for him.

We could definetley use another pick, we don't have a second rounder!
avbanig

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus arrington and Portis talk as much as Smoot does, its just arrington was hurt this year, so you didn't hear it from him as much!
samuariskins

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Smoots Reply with quote

Smoots is a efficent cornerback, but he is not worth the Redskins breaking the bank! I believe we offered to much already, and he still wants more cash! The Redskins need to be more like the Patriots in regards of how they deal with players & the cap. I love Smoot's attitude and desire, but the Redskins need players whom desire to stay as a team and not for the money.
samuariskins

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Smoots back? Reply with quote

NO! I love his game, but he's not worth the money he desires nor what we've offered. Heck, Springs lead us both in sacks & interceptions. It is not worth us breaking the bank with so many other holes to fill.
avbanig

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed Samuari!
ctj0215

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him cause he is a redskin. Plus I like yelling smoot when he makes a tackle.

I mean the guy played with sternum injuries.

BUT... if we get first round pick for him, I will give myself amnesia and learn to love the DE we get.
avbanig

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't want to loose him for nothing, just like Champ last year, if we can trade Smoot to someone and either take a player of their hands that doesn't want to be there anymore or get a first or at worst a second round pick for Smoot, I'll take it!
Redskins

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if we do lose him, we have Shawn Springs, who is better. I still don't want to lose him though.
avbanig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we did a sign a trade thing like last year with champ, and this time we got a 2nd round pick in return i'd be happy. There are plenty of DL and even corners that we could get in that round if we traded him.

I want him back but they can't afford to offer him to much more $ than what they already have.
up da gut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say let him go. He's 5 foot 9 and weighs $1.50 cents. You are talking about a corner so small Coach Williams can't send him on a corner blitx in fear he might kill himself. Receivers now and in the future are 6'4 and 240 running just as fast if not faster than Smoot. There are a few teams that will have to cut corners for cap room such as Samari Rolle(Tennessee) or Ty Law(Patriots) whom saw they could win without him and must make cuts to get under the cap also. Charles Woodson(Oakland) also a free agent.
avbanig

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed up da gut, I saw on a site last night that Smoot is a Restricted Free Agent also, he isn't unrestricted, so we could match whatever offer he got, and if we think the offer he gets is too much we can let him go, and then in return get a draft pick. I'm not sure what kind of pick we would get in return, or what determines that, but I'm guessing that since he was a second round pick we couldn't get a pick that was worse than that for him.

So if we let him go get a second, and trade Gardner to the Bucs for their 3rd, then we'd have more picks, it'd be great, we could replace them with younger players that want to be here!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: