Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

David Pollack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: David Pollack Reply with quote

If you guys havent already noticed, im a huge advocate of the Ravens taking David Pollack. Of course it all depends if hes even available at 22(and if we stay at 22) but if hes there, and no other top options have fallen, i think Pollack is our pick. I looked back at a bunch of 2002 articles and comments on Ed Reed and i couldnt help but notice that Pollack and Reed have quite a few similarities. Here are some comments on Reed:

Quote:
Reed lacks ideal size, but he is an excellent athlete and play-maker. Tough, competitive, and instinctive.

From: http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/draft_3530167.shtml
Quote:
Miamiís Reed is a ball hawk (21 career receptions) at safety and a first-rate leader, but at 5-11 1/8 and 205, he doesnít have quite the size and speed many teams look for in first-round safeties.

Quote:
Forget the 40 times and combine numbers, Ed Reed simply makes plays.

Quote:
Reed's not quite thick enough to play the run in the NFL and not near fast enough to stay with wideouts, so he projects to be a bit of a 'tweener.

Go to just about any 2005 draft site or article and you will find some very similar comments on Pollack.
**Both were huge playmakers in college, but for various reasons they are expected not to have the same success in the NFL
**Both are knocked because of size issues(both being to small
**Both have a tremendous passion for the game
**Both are considered tweeners(Reed FS/SS and Pollack DE/OLB) because of their size, play style, and a lack of concetrated skill in one specific area.
**Both did/may drop because they didnt have the prettiest workouts
**When you look at game film they are always making plays, despite being to undersized, to aggresive, not strong enough, not fast enough, etc.

Now im not saying Pollack is going to be the next defensive player of the year, because hes not, but could he be a solid contributor and possibly a probowl player in a few years? certainly. If Pollack is available at the 22 spot, and we havnt traded out of it, i think hes our man.
I'll be dissappionted if we dont take him, but, il still be happy with whoever our pick is.
sp6488

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow nice compasrisons, i was a huge advocate of trading our 1st, but i wouldnt mind taking Pollack
NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Pollack... Reply with quote

Well, with you guys switching to a 4-3 this year, I think that'd be a solid choice with the loss of Marques Douglas. I do, however, think that your priority round 1 would be another receiver opposite Mason, like either Matt Jones or Troy Williamson (not sure if he'll fall). Pollack is solid though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pollack... Reply with quote

NateDawg wrote:
Well, with you guys switching to a 4-3 this year, I think that'd be a solid choice with the loss of Marques Douglas. I do, however, think that your priority round 1 would be another receiver opposite Mason, like either Matt Jones or Troy Williamson (not sure if he'll fall). Pollack is solid though.

BLAH... don't you people PAY ATTENTION

let me take you back aways... to 2001 draft...

The Ravens, having THEE premier TE in the league, possibly EVER, drafted what? a TE with the 31st pick...

lemme take you back again, Art Modell wanted Lawrence Phillips, Ozzie drafts Jonathan Ogden... Phillips no longer plays in the NFL and may be in jail right now... Ogden on the other hand is an 8 time pro-bowler... likewise the "undersized LB from Miami, Ray Lewis, may not have the size or speed to make it in the NFL"... drafted at 26th, 7 pro-bowls.

so are you, some guy from B.F.E., USA, gonna tell THIS F.O. how to draft?...

if you have anymore doubts here is a clip from the Baltimore Sun today...

Quote:
Going against the grain is a common theme for the Ravens, who have traditionally grabbed one of the top two players at a position rather than joining in on a first-round run.

That method was established in the franchise's first draft in 1996. In the midst of five offensive tackles going in the last 10 picks of the first round, the Ravens took an undersized Ray Lewis, the first inside linebacker selected in that draft.

Likewise in 2001, six defensive tackles rapidly went off the board in the opening round, dropping the top-rated tight end in Heap all the way to the bottom. A year later, the Ravens chose the No. 2 safety in Reed after seven defensive linemen were snapped up in the first 22 picks.

The Ravens rarely reach in the first round because a mistake hinders a team beyond one season.

"It kills you in two areas," general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "First, you spend two or three years waiting to see if that player is going to be productive for you. And second, they eat up cap space for you and you don't ever get that back."

It's a tough lesson that some teams have had to learn more than once.

Over the past five drafts, the Oakland Raiders (cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha and linebacker Tyler Brayton), Kansas City Chiefs (receiver Sylvester Morris and running back Larry Johnson), San Francisco 49ers (cornerback Mike Rumph and offensive tackle Kwame Harris) and Seattle Seahawks (offensive tackle Chris McIntosh and tight end Jerramy Stevens) have all dealt with multiple disappointments late in the first round.

But letdowns are generally the reality and prosperity like the Ravens are the exceptions.

Consider this: After the 20th pick in the past five first rounds, the Ravens have snared the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in Reed and one of the game's top tight ends in Heap while the rest of the league has produced just six Pro Bowl performers (a total of 156 players drafted).

"I think our system has been battle tested," DeCosta said. "It's worked in the first round and the sixth, seventh rounds. And I hope and pray it works this year."

NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Yeah, but... Reply with quote

back then with these drafts (Ogden), Phil Savage was a huge player in Ozzie's decisions. Obviously you don't have him anymore (Cleveland), and I think you need a receiver opposite Mason to help out Boller.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you think just because we lost savage we will change a system that has produced 8 probowl first round picks in 9 drafts?? Yes savage had a huge roll and with him gone, the only thing we can do now is trust Ozzie and stick to the system. The Ravens have a formula for drafting. Savage was not the only one who knew the formula, it runs from our GM all the way down to our lowest scouts. That way when one leaves, the other steps up and keepers doing the same thing. Savage started out with us back in 1996 as only a scout. He slowly moved up the later and in 2001 when our pro personel director left to become the president of the Jaguars Savage took over that spot. Now Savage is gone and DeCosta has his spot and we will continue our system.

And we have a WR that will compliment Mason very well in Clarence Moore, he just needs some refining as most 6th round picks from a Division 1AA school would. Moore showed a lot of promise last year. Plus we have Heap who was practically non existant last year because of his injury.
mic79e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that a lot of people don't seem to realize about the "Phil Savage leaving for the Browns" situation is that we haven't lost Savages scouting input for this draft. Teams do most of their scouting work, and especially the Raven's, during the college season. The crucial time for this years draft, in terms of Phil's role, was last year, when he was a member of the Ravens. Few draft 'experts', and even teams with the way they evaluate, seem to realize this.

Phil Savage will be missed in Baltimore, and he deserves all the credit he is given for his role with the team, but Newsome has always had the finally say, and with the way he and Savage communicated so well there would have been plenty of discussions prior to him leaving. Savage's scouting still has input into this draft for the Ravens.
MoMoney717

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I still havent forgiven Cowher for missing out on Reed. He had him visit and word was we were very interested, but we did not do anything about it. You guys took him before us and we ended up getting Kendall Simmons who didnt play at all last year. I can honestly say that if we had taken him we would have been in the super bowl last year but hey, Im just a bitter Steelers fan. The thought of Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed as our sefeties is making me drool all over my keyboard. You guys are lucky to have a player of his caliber on your team and if Pollack turns out o be like him I might cry.
mic79e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Steelers had of taken Reed then I don't think they would have drafted Polamalu in the next draft. But you're right that you would have been better off.

If Pollack really falls then the Steelers might even talk him, and bring him into the fold at outside linebacker.
MoMoney717

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that we wouldnt have taken Polamalu but I can still dream cant I? I think Cowher is falling in love with Matt Jones and if he is there he will take him. I hope he doesnt because I dont think he is a first rounder although he will be a good player. Not Sure Pollack will be there at 30 either and he mmay be better as a DE in 4-3 although ILB in 3-4 could be a possibility.
raven5255

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree that Pollack may be a better DE then OLB however he could be great at either if hes in the right system with the right coaching, which the steelers and ravens are both very good at.
mic79e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's a 4-3 end too. But one things for sure, if he could play LB in a 3-4, then Cowher and the rest of the Steelers staff would be the ones that would be best able to tell.
MoMoney717

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True dat. In the end a good football player will be a good football player, regardless of speed and the combine. The most important thing is ability and attitude along with good coaching which I agree both the Steelers and Ravens have, especially on D.
raven5255

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelers and ravens fans agreeing...somethings gotta be wrong here...
GulfBayWarriors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: David Pollack Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:
If you guys havent already noticed, im a huge advocate of the Ravens taking David Pollack. Of course it all depends if hes even available at 22(and if we stay at 22) but if hes there, and no other top options have fallen, i think Pollack is our pick. I looked back at a bunch of 2002 articles and comments on Ed Reed and i couldnt help but notice that Pollack and Reed have quite a few similarities. Here are some comments on Reed:

Quote:
Reed lacks ideal size, but he is an excellent athlete and play-maker. Tough, competitive, and instinctive.

From: http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/draft_3530167.shtml
Quote:
Miamiís Reed is a ball hawk (21 career receptions) at safety and a first-rate leader, but at 5-11 1/8 and 205, he doesnít have quite the size and speed many teams look for in first-round safeties.

Quote:
Forget the 40 times and combine numbers, Ed Reed simply makes plays.

Quote:
Reed's not quite thick enough to play the run in the NFL and not near fast enough to stay with wideouts, so he projects to be a bit of a 'tweener.

Go to just about any 2005 draft site or article and you will find some very similar comments on Pollack.
**Both were huge playmakers in college, but for various reasons they are expected not to have the same success in the NFL
**Both are knocked because of size issues(both being to small
**Both have a tremendous passion for the game
**Both are considered tweeners(Reed FS/SS and Pollack DE/OLB) because of their size, play style, and a lack of concetrated skill in one specific area.
**Both did/may drop because they didnt have the prettiest workouts
**When you look at game film they are always making plays, despite being to undersized, to aggresive, not strong enough, not fast enough, etc.

Now im not saying Pollack is going to be the next defensive player of the year, because hes not, but could he be a solid contributor and possibly a probowl player in a few years? certainly. If Pollack is available at the 22 spot, and we havnt traded out of it, i think hes our man.
I'll be dissappionted if we dont take him, but, il still be happy with whoever our pick is.

Its funny reading that stuff now when Ed Reed is now one of the best safeties in the game. Great comparisons too. I love Pollack's passion and I do believe this guy will be a great pick for somebody. Ravens should drafted David Greene too so the roommates stay together.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: