Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should High School players be allowed to play in the NBA??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should high shool players have the right to play in the NBA?
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 12 ]
No but 19 should be the age limit.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No but 20 should be the age limit.
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
The NBA is flat out right.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Should High School players be allowed to play in the NBA?? Reply with quote

I really think they should. There is alot of good reasons for them to go to college but there are some poor families that are counting on their kids or kids that want to just help their family. And lets face it some of the best players in the NBA right now came out of high school.
KOBE, KG, Reshard Leiws, Jermaine O'neal, T-MAC, King James, and others. Yes there has been some flops like Al Harrington and Jonathan Bender, who broke MJ's record of most points in the MceeDees game. But the high school players bring lots of revenue to the NBA and the NCAA don't compinsate players nearly enough with their scholarship checks and if they do they get in trouble. What do you think??
Hawkeye 5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand all the arguments about maturity but this comes down to more of a legal point.

You cant deny someones right to work. If you are 18 years old and can go defend your country. I think your probably eligible to go play a kids game and get paid millions of dollars to do so

Yeah maybe they wont make it. Is that the worst thing that could happen? They took a shot to make millions and it didnt pan out. None of us will ever even get that opprotunity. Even if they dont make it and end up traveling around between NBDL, CBA or European Leagues is that really that bad. Your still supporting your life by playing basketball. Sorry I dont have alot of sympathy for that.

And if none of those options work out for some guys....Well then I guess he just might have to go and get real job with the rest of us simpletons

The only reason this is even a possibility is because the NBA and NCAA want whats best for their business. They DO NOT care about this young men only about their product. Thats shouldnt be a big suprise to anyone
Dolphinsrule13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am undecided on this whole situation. I am more of a college basketball fan than an NBA fan. And when all the young high schoolers started jumping straight to the NBA. I thought that they should stop this because I dont think that they can be mature enough to handle the money and fame so young. I have thought about it now and I want to make them go to school but I dont think it would be right. On a different note imagine if lebron james, carmelo, dwight, and so many others had stayed in or gone to college. How cool would that have been to wacth. I heard that if james had gone to college it would have been between UNC or Duke. That would have been exciting to wacth him go at duke in a carolina jersey.
Canada

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye 5 wrote:
I understand all the arguments about maturity but this comes down to more of a legal point.

You cant deny someones right to work. If you are 18 years old and can go defend your country. I think your probably eligible to go play a kids game and get paid millions of dollars to do so

Yeah maybe they wont make it. Is that the worst thing that could happen? They took a shot to make millions and it didnt pan out. None of us will ever even get that opprotunity. Even if they dont make it and end up traveling around between NBDL, CBA or European Leagues is that really that bad. Your still supporting your life by playing basketball. Sorry I dont have alot of sympathy for that.

And if none of those options work out for some guys....Well then I guess he just might have to go and get real job with the rest of us simpletons

The only reason this is even a possibility is because the NBA and NCAA want whats best for their business. They DO NOT care about this young men only about their product. Thats shouldnt be a big suprise to anyone

Bingo.
BigVezzy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for ever Kobe, KG, LJ, or T-mac there a 200 other kids that came out early and end up not gettin drafted and are set on the role of bouncig from NBDL to CBA to Europe. These kids take huge advances from there agants and have no way to pay them back. IMO the majority of the kids are setting themselves up for failure.

The other part of the coin is when these kids get into the leauge it usaually take them 2 to 3 years to start to make an impact. Then right about the time they can help their team their contract is up and the end up leaving the team that developed them for more money. Now for sure there are a few that didn't need time like LJ, and Amare but for the majority it takes them awhile.

IMO the age limit should be 21, this makes them go to college for 3 years or if nothing else go to europe to develope over there and not sit the bench for 2 years in the NBA
mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true and hopefully if they do aprove the rule these kids melons will deflate alittle bit because most of them are getting to much attention at school and from friends blowing their head up too much.
Playaj21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it should be like this for every sport then? Baseball, soccer, hockey and tennis let kids go into the pros right away so I say let em go.
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhhh, they let 16 and 17 year old girls play tennis that are STILL in high school, but they want to set an age limit on NBA? Makes perfect sense to me.

Quote:

That pretty much summed it up perfectly.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: