Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles needs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EagleJB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Eagles needs Reply with quote

1) RB - Need a back with size to complement B. Westbrook. I'm hoping, praying, begging for Ronnie Brown who's THE perfect pick for the Eagles.

2) OLB - Simoneau is below average, D. Jones is average, I. Reese is getting older and K. Adams is a special teamer. An impact LB makes the Eagles D dominant.

3) DT - A big DT to replace Simon if he leaves via FA.

4) WR - Gotta find an impact WR while T.O. is still here to groom him. Pinkston is done in Philadelphia.

5) OG or OT - J. Runyan's contarct is up after next season and T. Thomas is up soon after that. If the Eagles think A. Hicks and S. Andrews are the tackles of the future, then we need guards. Otherwise look for a couple of tackles.

QB) Detmer and Blake have shown nothing these last two weeks. Detmer should be gone next year. Blake is OK for one more year while a new QB learns. A. Hall got snagged for a DUI, a no-no under Andy Reid.
Kencu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few comments from a fellow bird...

I dont think we need to take a RB in the first, IF Brown fell to us then i'd be ok with that but no other RB would grade there IMO. Maybe a guy like Barber in the 3rd. Not the big body we'd be looking for but we really only need someone to take a few touches away from Westy.

Linebacker i'm in total agreement. I wouldnt be surprised to see us trade up for Chowder. Andy has shown in the past he is willingly to trade up to get the guy he want's and Crowder would be a dominant LB in JJ's system.

Again DT i'd be ok with starting Rayburn and Walker but a young guy to groom would be nice.

I'm a wee bit out of the immediate loop with the birds since i'm from Ireland but aren't they really excited about Lewis? I know they gave him a five year contract but did something change there?

Gaurds are easier to fill in the later rounds in general than tackles so i'd look at that being the route we go.

QB - i couldnt have put it any better.
DomDavis37

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe Barber is coming out.
Ant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Eagles got a good WR and a big RB, nobody would be able to stop them, nobody.

Last edited by Ant on Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
EagleJB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>I'm a wee bit out of the immediate loop with the birds since i'm from Ireland but aren't they really excited about Lewis? I know they gave him a five year contract but did something change there?<<

You're exactly right. I just see G. Lewis as a 3rd or 4th receiver. I think the Eagles need a guy that can be a #1 when T.O. is gone. I'd love to see Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams in Eagle green but without a major trade up, that's a pipe dream.
booker22joey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: LB then DT then RB/WR Reply with quote

I think Derrick Johnson would be the perfect choice but theres no way he drops far enough even to trade down for. I also really like Ahmad Brooks but i'm not sure he's the right type of LB for our needs. We need speed and aggressiveness on the outside, someone who can drop into coverage when needed and chase down outside runs.

Next, I think we need a big DT who can stuff the run and get enough penetration to draw blockers away from Kearse/Burgess and open up more blitz opportunities. Maybe Anttaj Hawthorne if possible or Rod Wright/Travis Johson -- I don't know a whole lot about those guys.

I think Westbrook is too perfect a fit for this offense to get too active in pursuing a RB first round. If Ronnie Brown is there at the end of the round I might think about taking him, but I hate to cut into Westbrooks touches too much. Although I know Levens isn't the solution as a power back, I was very impressed with his toughness this year. I also thought about the possibility of bringing in an every down back like Shaun Alexander, which would be a great move by any team, but you run into the same problem, I like Westbrook too much.

Lastly, I think we need to and will address the WR position either through the draft or in FA. I really like Mike Williams, but he is almost an exact copy of TO - big, tall, strong, not especially fast, but will win almost any jump ball. Plaxico Burress is the same way. I would like to bring in a true outside burner, someone who is a real deep threat on any play, who can draw away a safety and open up the middle. Any suggestions there?

Some other names I like in the draft are:

Elton Brown, G
Erasmus James, DE
Shaun Cody, DE/DT
Channing Crowder, LB
Thomas Davis, S
Jamaal Brimmer, S
Alex Smith, TE (I think this guy is way underrated!)
Nightwing04

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say our needs is RB, DT, and LB.

1. Running Back: I think that if Brown falls to our pick, we take him. He's a bruiser that has nice hands out of the backfield, and would really help take the pressure off Westbrook and Buckhalter.

2. Defensive tackle: We need depth, so a guy like Travis Johnson wouldn't be so bad for us and we only need depth, not starters, so who's ever good will be great for us.

3. Linebacker: Now, I wouldn't say our LB corps sucks. I mean, Trotter and Jones have been more than average, that's for sure, but Simoneau still remains the weak link. I think a LB like Boley, if he was to fall to the 2nd round or 3rd round, would really help us with depth and in passing situations.

That's all I can think of.
liquid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our number 1 need by far is offensive line help. We are getting old there and that's how you win games. A DT that late in the first round will have no impact.

I say we get a RB in the second or 3rd round. Westbrook was a 3rd rounder and Buckhalter a 4th rounder. Staley was a 3rd rounder as well.

We are 16 million under the cap going into this season. We can have Trotter, Jones and any other avg weak side linebacker. Can sign someone to plug the middle at DT. Doesn't have to be a great player. Heckert is very good at getting guys like Rayburn and Darwin Walker.

weaknesses"

OL
RB
2nd WR
DT
WLB

but the main weakness has to be OL. should trade up and grab a dominant OT.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PhillyFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are only saying our o-line is a weakness because 3 of them are in their 30s, even though one of them wont be back, next year we will have

LT - Tra Thomas
LG - Artis Hicks
C - Hank Fraley
RG - Shawn Andrews
RT - Jon Runyan

sciullo backup

i say we trade up for starts and with later picks grab lineman prospects like CJ Brooks, all great o-lineman werent all first round picks, we can find some quality in later rounds and still address areas of CURRENT weakness as in WR, LB and RB
liquid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sculio the backup. What happens if we have multiple injuries on the offensive line. This happens every year. You need at least 2-3 backups on the OL. Think about it...McNabb is our most valuable asset and we hope to have him well into his 30's don't you want a great line protecting him?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PhillyFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you read my post properly it says that we draft prospects in rounds 2 and 4, i didnt say get NOBODY at all, i just think its a waste to get a position that is CURRENTLY filled when we have other options to make our team better for next year, we arent trying to rebuild so we dont need to look towards the future as of yet.
we need to get some new starters in round 1 and 2 and get the bakup lineman in rounds 3 and 4, they can be molded into great players, just because they arent picked in the first round doesnt mean they wont be good, how many first round busts have their been, its safer picking lineman later, and with our line coach i think they can be good just as long as their measureables are decent.

Last edited by PhillyFan on Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
liquid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Andy Reid and Tom Heckert have a very good track record with lineman.

Andrews is going to be a monster. If they have a chance to get potential pro bowl lineman they should do so.

they could have won 15 games this year with average outside linebackers.

the OL and DL are what win you games consistently and phasing in new Offensive lineman is key. We have extra picks this year to address our other needs.

Not only that... I think this is what Andy Reid and Tom Heckert are going to do.
PhillyFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we wont have this good of a team forever, drafting an o-lineman first round to just sit him on the bench waiting for injuries to happen. personally i would like to have someone in from day 1 competing.

i say trade up for a reciever, draft a LB in round 2 and get 2 BACKUP o-lineman in round 3, i think 3rd rounders will ride the bench as good as the first rounder would.
liquid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will see. I say they are going for an OL before either a linebacker or WR. I think they are more qualified based on their track record than you or I.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: