Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brodney Pool
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Brodney Pool Reply with quote

Okay, I know there are a ton of people who will flog me on this one, since a lot of people are convinced that Brodney Pool will be the next to wear the Green 'n Gold, but...

I don't think the cat is that good. He has decent size, but he's not that fast. He's an okay tackler, but he's not a physical player, and frankly, I think he benefited from a good system.

I just think there are better players out there. Thomas Davis for one, but also this kid from Albany, Kurt Campbell. Seems to me like he's a poor man's Thomas Davis. I'm not suggesting Campbell is a first round pick, I do think it is possible that in time he'll be better than Pool.

Okay I know I just invited a lightning storm upon myself. Let's keep it clean.
Halfback007

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you a 100%. Poole is a good player, but the system he plays for shows him to be a much better player.

Jason White is a Product of the system, also any Running Back who plays for Denver is a product.

If no other good Defensive player is their, take him... But don't force it.
hauschild

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I'd like to get him, but not in the first round.
MultiSync

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i dont think either Thomas Davis or Brodney Pool are worth first rounders
mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MultiSync wrote:
personally i dont think either Thomas Davis or Brodney Pool are worth first rounders
What are oyu talkin about. I don't think that GB should draft either one of them in the 1st but there is noway that Davis isn't worth a 1st. At his proday re ran 4.5s and some reports of 4.45. He is well worth a 1st and Pol is a great coverage safety but i have Bullocks ahead of him.
msmre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things
1) Pool is a good player, but he is not great. Davis is great. Pool is better than Sharper was in college. Much better.
2) Has anyone here watched Albany College play? Didn't think so, so how do we know about a poor man's Davis other than looking at the size and 40 times.
3) Safeties can rarely be a product of their system unless they blitz like crazy and show in highlight films or have fantastic pressure on the QB. Other wise we are talking about the same 12 coverages that you see in the pros. OU did not have great DL and did not blitz more than average.
4) That being said. Unless there is a star, good safeties, like Guards, can usually be found in later rounds (also in the form of slow college corners or small college LB).
5) Mediocre safeties are easy to cover up with good defenses, so it would be better to find a stud DL to pressure the QB or a good LB to stop the run and let some 4th rounder cut his teeth with Carroll (who will be as good as Mackenzie), Harris, Thomas, and the other DBs.

Last edited by msmre on Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
duxrule

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree....get more pressure on the QB and you get 1)errant passes
2) more sacks = FEWER passes.
hauschild

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSMRE,

So, what made the 96 and 97 Packer defense? You'd say Reggie White, I'd say LeRoy Butler(based on a special I watched with Mike Shanahan talking about Butler being the number one target to neutralize). It was probably a combination in all actuality.

However, I've never seen such a dramatic drop in the performance of our defense the day LeRoy hung up his cleats. I just can't get the visions outta my head!

I did enjoy your analysis about college safeties. If what you are saying is fairly accurate, then Thomas Davis will definitely be there at 24. I would take a shot on him. He can't be any less productive than Ahmad Carrol, right?
msmre

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haus,
In 96 and 97 there are a number of things that made the defense.

1) DL - Jones, Dotson, Brown, and White are all above average players and had ability to, save Brown, get to the QB. Additionally all could play the run as well as anyone.
2) This allowed mediocre linebackers to get to the ball on run plays. Butler too.
3) Strong DBs including a 3rd corner (newsome) that had youth mixed with Williams, Robinson, Evans, and Butler.

The one thing that you should notice is that the DL were the stars of the defense. Shanahan targets Butler because he is the one that could be "got". You don't "get" anyone on the DL.

Additionally, a great offense and the top punter sure do help. The 96 and 97 years were special due to some great pickups at low prices by Wolf.
nickelpete

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hauschild wrote:
However, I've never seen such a dramatic drop in the performance of our defense the day LeRoy hung up his cleats. I just can't get the visions outta my head!

I did enjoy your analysis about college safeties. If what you are saying is fairly accurate, then Thomas Davis will definitely be there at 24. I would take a shot on him. He can't be any less productive than Ahmad Carrol, right?
1.) Totally agree. Leroy Butler was a great player and his presence alone made the Packers better against the run and the pass.

2.) Strong safety play is the key to a great secondary--are the Patty's corners that good or is it Rodney Harrison directing the defense? Are the Eagles corners that good, or is it Brian Dawkins leadership? Look at any team with a top notch secondary and they usually have excellent safeties as so much of pass coverage depends on a safeties ability to adjust to cover-2, shift in the zone and read the deep-out patterns. Thomas Davis will be a great safety, I think, and would be an absolute steal for the pack at #24. (Thomas Davis could spend the whole year on IR and he'd still be more productive then Ahmad Carroll.)
byzr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think most packer fans would like to take Davis at the 24 spot but thats the problem he isn't going to be there with the combine numbers he put up. is he worth giving up a second round pick for to move up in the draft? that's the million dollar question.

it doesn't look to me like TT likes to gamble so i would doubt that he's even entertaining that idea.

bottom line yeah we'd all like to take him first round but if Poole is the best player available snatch him up.

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i overheard on espnradio earlier today that there is a rumor the packers might trade down to the colts pick + 2nd rounder
Couldn't think of anything funny, thought provoking, inspiring or a cool idea for a photo with text. Didn't want to tell you who my favorite teams are in sports because I doubt you care. And there aren't enough Colts fans for Adopt-a-Colt
byzr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the #? i mean can it really hurt us that bad we're only seven picks from last. if it means 3 second round picks i wouldn't mind it. might be able to use one of those to trade for a LB or S.

where's the info coming from?

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to say that it was brought up either during colin cowherd talking with mel kiper, or local milwaukee dj's talking to kiper, but they mentioned the rumor when talking bout packer needs
Couldn't think of anything funny, thought provoking, inspiring or a cool idea for a photo with text. Didn't want to tell you who my favorite teams are in sports because I doubt you care. And there aren't enough Colts fans for Adopt-a-Colt
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it like this Brodney Pool is going to be good but with the first would should get Thomas Davis he is just like Sean Taylor.

~kinetic~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: