Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bengals unable to sign FA's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesaxman727

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Bengals unable to sign FA's Reply with quote

Is it just me or is anyone else worried about the fact that Cincy has been unable to bring in any big name free agents for quite some time now.

We missed out last year on Warren Sapp & Bobby Taylor and Jamie Sharper just signed a 5 year deal with the Seahawks.

Are we just not offering them enough money or do players just not want to play for the Bengals? I don't have a problem with this if we keep improving, but if we continue to go 8-8, we are going to need to bring in some veteran players to get us over that hump. Just a thought.
Cantstop85

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dude warren sapp sucked last year and i havnt heard about Bobby Taylor and jamie sharper is 30 years old. I think marvin is very smart he dosnt want to go all out on one guy. Especially with the draft coming up and possible moves might happen so hes keeping all options open with out going over board on one player.
Sportboy86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not worried in the least. Why pay one guy tons of $$$, when you can pay the money to 3 or four other guys--FAs or draft picks--that improve the team in more than just one area.

You mentioned not getting Bobby Taylor. Can you actually complain about the Bengals not getting Taylor? Tory James was a Pro Bowler, Deltha O' Neal got better and better (when he wasn't hurt) as the season went on, Ratliff showed tons of potential as a CB and punt returner, and Madieu...What can I say about Madieu? It's debatable who got the better end of the Dillon trade. Smile

Quote:
Are we just not offering them enough money or do players just not want to play for the Bengals?

Its the money. We're always tight with the cap. If anyone truely believes that these FAs don't want to play for the Bengals (a team with more upside than most any other team in the league), then they are crazy. Why do you think these guys are coming to Cincinnati for interviews when they know that the Bengals can't pay them the big bucks?

Quote:
I don't have a problem with this if we keep improving, but if we continue to go 8-8, we are going to need to bring in some veteran players to get us over that hump.

There's no doubt that we're improving. Last year's 8-8 was completely different from 2003's 8-8. We had 17 players on the IR, started basaically a rookie QB, and our first rounder touched the ball 3 times. We're better/stronger/deeper at pretty much every position now.
Examples:
WR--TJ looks great. Chad's Chad. Washington is entering year 3. Warrick will be back (we hope).
OL--The group comes back intact next year (once Braham signs). The Chemistry they develop is key in protecting our young QB and blocking for Rudi. The tackles are awesome, guards young and good (Steinbach good all around, Williams good run blocker), and Braham is a great leader for this line.
LB--Some consider this position to be a weakness. Why? We've got our 3 starters from last year coming back (Simmons, Webster, Hardy), 2 second year guys with a lot of experience (Miller & Johnson), and a special teams ace (Wilkins). All are returning to the Bengals organization.

Though you may not like my examples, the message is clear. We're bringing guys back. They're getting comfortable with each other, and the organization. With this comfort, wins will surely come.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cincinnati Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't say that Webster is back because the fact is that the guy might not be ready to go full speed because of the knee. Looking to draft a top tier LB might not be a bad idea. As far as FAs, who cares if the Stripes are smart and don't overpay. I would rather have a young guy with passion under Marvin's guidance than some 30+ that is a "me" player. At least FAs aren't avoiding Cincinnati just because its Cincinnati. We're a team that is up there in terms of courting FAs, but doing a great job in keeping within Marvin's plan and getting the FAs Marvin wants.

"I don't play against a particular team. I play against the idea of losing." -ERIC CANTONA
Cantstop85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO BENGALS!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: