Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My Pro Wrestling Top 10: Third-Wrestling Negative Biz Guys
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleLion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: My Pro Wrestling Top 10: Third-Wrestling Negative Biz Guys Reply with quote

My own interest of pro wrestling has been renewed and I'm doing what I hope is going to be a kept up free write, no rules top 10 all time lists on categories in pro wrestling. First up the greatest wrestlers ever on the microphone.
10: Ultimate Warrior

The Ultimate Warrior's promos mixed mythology with intensity and rumor is that he wrote his own promos. Opinions of his wrestling promos are like how people think of art in galleries. Some think of his promos as being masterpieces that other people simply do not have the capacity to understand like they do and some think his promos are just a bunch of pretentious disjointed nonsense.
Ultimate Warrior Promo
9: Stone Cold Steve Austin

After Stone Cold took on his persona after stints in WCW as Stunning Steve and a brief stint in ECW, he entered into the WWF as the Ringmaster, a side kick of Ted Dibiase's MDM persona. His wife then, a beautiful English born valet counter to his Stunning Steve persona in WCW and World Class wrestling gave Austin the impetus for his persona as Stone Cold Steve Austin. Nobody in wrestling was more important and his persona skyrocketed Austin and WWF to new heights. Austin's had ushered in the Attitude Era and his I don't give a crap persona was perfect for saying pretty much anything. His persona equally had allowed for limitless amounts of wild backstage gimmicks. There maybe is not any other wrestler who got this kind of self push after altering their wrestling persona.
Stone Cold Steve Austin promo
8: Dusty Rhodes

Dusty's promos kind of mixed in Texas, honesty and the average man. His Texas accent and his ability to speak like he did understand you, the wrestling fan, was the center of his wrestling persona. I'll take a guess saying that maybe his wrestling persona was not very far from the personality of the man and that's why he was very popular.
Dusty Rhodes Promo
7: Magnificent Muraco

Muraco had a great variety in his promos like few other wrestlers. There was often a casual Don Muraco, likable arrogance and confidence from a wrestler who seemingly knew he will get you better. Sometimes you got a quite intense ready for a contest Don Muraco or a playful Muraco. More important is his impact on future wrestlers who like to speak in the 3rd person. The magnificent one said and Don Muraco will do that or this, all were the centerpieces of his promos.
Magnificent Muraco Promo
Magnificent Muraco Promo
Magnificent Muraco Promo
Magnificent Muraco Promo
Magnificent Muraco Promo
6: Matcho Man Randy Savage

The Macho Man's promos were a subdued kind of intense and that he might flip in seconds. Most of times he didn't and there was only the you better be cool finger point of his pretty much.
Macho Man Randy Savage Promo
5: The Rock

There's not a wrestler in history who had more of a linking with the fans. He had perfected the in ring promo like Austin did the backstage gimmicks the same. Armed with bunches of catchphrases, his in ring promos and effect on the audience in pro wrestling somewhat like how singalongs are with soccer.
The Rock Promo
4: Jerry Lawler

The earliest of days right before PPV or when contending wrestlers didn't wrestle each other on TV, wrestling contests were recorded except for when top contenders met in events at gyms and arenas. Lawler knew in his promos how to draw the hate from people and sell the biggest contests offered in their association. Fans who are attending to be there and cheering against Jerry Lawler.
Jerry Lawler Promo
3: Hulk Hogan

If there was any wrestler who had required great promos to be popular or a contender in pro wrestling, then my opinion it's Hogan. His wrestling skills were inferior to most wrestlers he had wrestled against or been with in wrestling associations and he didn't wrestle much. However his link with the fans based on those memorable promos made the WWF.
Hulk Hogan Promo
2 Roddy Piper

Piper was a true genius on the microphone and guessing a majority of his promos were not scripted. Having not ever been a world champion and being a heel meant he had free reign to say anything he liked. Nothing was off limits and no wrestler drew it more from people based on their own promos. The pioneering segment Piper's Pit is the prototype for what you have from the Miz or Jericho and the first of a wrestler doing a chat with a wrestler. He had a promo style of going on long tangents and later circling around again.
Roddy Piper Promo
Roddy Piper Promo
Roddy Piper Promo
1: Ric Flair

Flair had the same kind and most often more of what made the other wrestlers. Mostly what differentiates Flair is the variety of everything in his promos.
Ric Flair Promo Vintage And Kind Of Sums This Up
Ric Flair Promo Some Of His Greatest
Flair wins bet with Garvin and a date with his valet Precious.
Ric Flair Promo And His Most Hilarious

Last edited by PurpleLion on Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
RaykwonDaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

List doesn't include angle

List irrelevant

Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. macho
2. dusty
3. jake the snake
4. heyman
5. piper
5b. warrior

#JDI
sdrawkcab321

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo

Rock
Flair
Austin
Punk
Angle

PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Rock
2. Flair
3. Piper
4. Austin
5. Hogan
6. Rude
7. Dusty
8. Angle
9. Sting
10. Macho

Trinidad: Where a man is born a man. Not a PC wimp.. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
pollino14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock is the best. Punk and Jake need to be on the list. Hogan and Flair are overrated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Bruno Sammartino? Lol...

First Steve Jobs, Now Al Davis.. God must be building something.
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have Warrior on here, switch him with Punk. Can't say I've see much of Muraco so I can't comment on that one. Jake should be up on here as well.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Eddie Guerrero should make this list. Always liked him on the Mic and would make me laugh often. I'd add CM Punk too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top 10 favorites

1. Ric Flair
2. The Undertaker
3. Hollywood Hulk Hogan
4. Stone Cold Steve Austin
5. The Rock
6. Macho Man Randy Savage
7. Mr. Perfect, Curt Hennig
8. Rowdy Roddy Piper
9. Scott Hall/Kevin Nash
10. The American Dream Dusty Rhodes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1a. Stone Cold
1b. The Rock
2. Paul Heyman
3. Chris Jericho
4. HBK
5. Raven
6. Ric Flair
7. CM Punk
8. Mick Foley
9. Bray Wyatt
10. John Cena

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foley's a mixed bag that's probably hurt more by his late career, cheap-pop shenanigans, but he has strings of promos over particular feuds (specifically during his runs as Cactus Jack) where he's just so glaringly superior to the likes of Sting, Hogan, and yes... sorry, marks... Angle, too.

Edge is someone who gets terribly underrated too because he was thoroughly committed to that character and to being hated when he was working those Rated R heel runs... and he was getting some nuclear level heat during that run for his work on the mic.

I'll get into the old guys at some point, but honestly, I don't expect a lot of guys on here to necessarily be as high on the guys who were big in the territories because, frankly, you're too young to remember them unless they became noteworthy in the two major promotions (WWF/WCW) later on into the 90's.

wackywabbit wrote:
Playing center for the Chargers is like teaching DADA at Hogwarts.
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Foley's a mixed bag that's probably hurt more by his late career, cheap-pop shenanigans, but he has strings of promos over particular feuds (specifically during his runs as Cactus Jack) where he's just so glaringly superior to the likes of Sting, Hogan, and yes... sorry, marks... Angle, too.

Edge is someone who gets terribly underrated too because he was thoroughly committed to that character and to being hated when he was working those Rated R heel runs... and he was getting some nuclear level heat during that run for his work on the mic.

I'll get into the old guys at some point, but honestly, I don't expect a lot of guys on here to necessarily be as high on the guys who were big in the territories because, frankly, you're too young to remember them unless they became noteworthy in the two major promotions (WWF/WCW) later on into the 90's.

Edge played the role of a sleaze. Don't think anyone has mastered it as well as he did

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:
The LBC wrote:

Edge played the role of a sleaze. Don't think anyone has mastered it as well as he did

If you get a chance, listen to the 2nd (of 2) episode of Talk is Jericho he was a guest on - he talks about how immersed he got in that character and after hearing about that then going back and watching his performances (on the mic and in the ring) it puts them in a whole new perspective.

wackywabbit wrote:
Playing center for the Chargers is like teaching DADA at Hogwarts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: