Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Biggest robbery in sports ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dawgpoun8017


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 12189
Location: Waterloo,NY
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Biggest robbery in sports ? Reply with quote

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cJYBV9BXQNY

IMO this is one if the biggest robberies in sports history, jones dominated him the who match.
_________________
2013 Joe Blackburn HOF Award Recipient

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 26705
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no doubt, RJJ was robbed big time in that fight. In his prime, he was the best fighter I have ever seen live. Honestly, not sure anyone in the history could beat him at 160 or 168. His athleticism was LeBronesque and the reflexes were unbelievable. The way he dominated Toney was special, just sucks how his career ended. If he retires after winning the HW title, people probably look at him as an top 5-10 fighter of all time.

Mayweather also got the raw deal in the 96 Olympics. He should have won gold as well.

72 US Olympic basketball team vs USSR also comes to my mind.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dawgpoun8017


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 12189
Location: Waterloo,NY
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Oh no doubt, RJJ was robbed big time in that fight. In his prime, he was the best fighter I have ever seen live. Honestly, not sure anyone in the history could beat him at 160 or 168. His athleticism was LeBronesque and the reflexes were unbelievable. The way he dominated Toney was special, just sucks how his career ended. If he retires after winning the HW title, people probably look at him as an top 5-10 fighter of all time.

Mayweather also got the raw deal in the 96 Olympics. He should have won gold as well.

72 US Olympic basketball team vs USSR also comes to my mind.


I was debating between that basketball game when making this thread as well, I didn't know about Floyd
_________________
2013 Joe Blackburn HOF Award Recipient

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 26705
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd got robbed in the semi-final match, so I guess the gold wasn't a guarantee.

Yeah, the basketball game was a HUGE robbery.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34898
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1988-89 .... the year Gretzky was handed the NHL MVP (Hart Trophy) when Lemieux was far more valuable and had 31 more points than Gretzky in the regular season...

Lemieux had been involved (by goal or assist) in nearly 60% of the team's goals... which is still an NHL record.
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nagahide13


Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Posts: 11080
Location: Stumptown
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the entire 2002 World Cup in Korea.
_________________
LION KING wrote:
I actually feel nothing anymore !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mse326


Moderator
Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 16058
Location: mike23md on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Oh no doubt, RJJ was robbed big time in that fight. In his prime, he was the best fighter I have ever seen live. Honestly, not sure anyone in the history could beat him at 160 or 168. His athleticism was LeBronesque and the reflexes were unbelievable. The way he dominated Toney was special, just sucks how his career ended. If he retires after winning the HW title, people probably look at him as an top 5-10 fighter of all time.

Mayweather also got the raw deal in the 96 Olympics. He should have won gold as well.

72 US Olympic basketball team vs USSR also comes to my mind.


Holyfield got screwed in the semifinals in 1984.

There is just something about boxing that the judges and refs always seem to screw it up.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 26705
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the Olympic scoring especially is terrible and it will continue to be that way since they won't change it anytime soon. The terrible thing is the USA team is never all that good, but when they have a few good fighters they get screwed Laughing . But really, it is because we have 18-19 year old kids fighting, while other countries have 29-30 year old GROWN MEN.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15418
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1990 World Cup.

European Football is a treasure chest for scandal because of the card policy and I always get eaten alive by football fans because I suggest it is rid of, at least the red card.

The World Cup is the biggest sporting event on the planet and will probably remain for decades and yet we haven't had a single one without controversy. The 1990 World Cup may be the worst. Nearly every Quarterfinal game onwards had some controversy in the game, with the event garnering the lowest scoring and most penalties.

It all culminated in a Final that saw West Germany win via penalty kick in the waning minutes after Argentina lost a player to red carding earlier. The red carding was questionable but the awarded penalty kick that decided the outcome had been almost universally concluded as a farce. When you think of what was going on ion Germany at the time......yeah.
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Buckrock101


Moderator
Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 30070
Location: Sudden Valley
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last two State of Origin series
_________________


IrishGreen wrote:
buck comes thru in the clutch
McNabbMcFadden wrote:
All Hail Buckrock
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34898
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
The 1990 World Cup.

European Football is a treasure chest for scandal because of the card policy and I always get eaten alive by football fans because I suggest it is rid of, at least the red card.

The World Cup is the biggest sporting event on the planet and will probably remain for decades and yet we haven't had a single one without controversy. The 1990 World Cup may be the worst. Nearly every Quarterfinal game onwards had some controversy in the game, with the event garnering the lowest scoring and most penalties.

It all culminated in a Final that saw West Germany win via penalty kick in the waning minutes after Argentina lost a player to red carding earlier. The red carding was questionable but the awarded penalty kick that decided the outcome had been almost universally concluded as a farce. When you think of what was going on ion Germany at the time......yeah.


I wouldn't even call that the biggest robbery in World Cup history. Diego Maradona's "Hand of God" goal was an even bigger robbery. Argentina not only won the match; but went on to win the World Cup thanks to that missed call.
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Speed_Wrench


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 4622
Location: Bay area
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Oh no doubt, RJJ was robbed big time in that fight. In his prime, he was the best fighter I have ever seen live. Honestly, not sure anyone in the history could beat him at 160 or 168. His athleticism was LeBronesque and the reflexes were unbelievable. The way he dominated Toney was special, just sucks how his career ended. If he retires after winning the HW title, people probably look at him as an top 5-10 fighter of all time.

Mayweather also got the raw deal in the 96 Olympics. He should have won gold as well.

72 US Olympic basketball team vs USSR also comes to my mind.


Holyfield got screwed in the semifinals in 1984.

There is just something about boxing that the judges and refs always seem to screw it up.


Oh I don't think they screwed anything up, they did exactly what they were told to do.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlexM23


Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Posts: 8295
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 AFL Grand Final, bar none
_________________

Kiltman on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 26705
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed_Wrench wrote:
Oh I don't think they screwed anything up, they did exactly what they were told to do.


Disagree, they can't simply just do what they are told for one fight, and than judge another completely fair. Judges are inept and too old in a lot of cases. They are never held liable and that is an issue. You need to put pressure on these guys so they start to get it together.

Now, since the Holyfield fight was in the Olympics, that scoring system is just flat out TERRIBLE.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Speed_Wrench


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 4622
Location: Bay area
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Speed_Wrench wrote:
Oh I don't think they screwed anything up, they did exactly what they were told to do.


Disagree, they can't simply just do what they are told for one fight, and than judge another completely fair. Judges are inept and too old in a lot of cases. They are never held liable and that is an issue. You need to put pressure on these guys so they start to get it together.

Now, since the Holyfield fight was in the Olympics, that scoring system is just flat out TERRIBLE.


Disagree? You mean to say they didn't have every intention of making sure Jones lost that fight except in the case Jones knocked the Korean out? If the judges are too old and inept then how would putting pressure upon them help? They are beyond help, it's the people who let them judge who need to have pressure put upon them, in the video one of the Korean coaches or officials didn't mince words when he made reference to the upcoming Olympics and that revenge is on it's way.

Now Holyfield I can say got screwed by an incompetent ref, just saying stop is not nearly enough to interrupt the action in a boxing match.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group