Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tonkavikes Mock 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonkavikes27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Tonkavikes Mock 2 Reply with quote

Free Agency

Alterraun Verner CB 5 yrs/45 million- I believe he will garner close to what Cortland Finnegan got, as well as Brandon Carr which is around 8-10 million annually. Getting Verner sures up the secondary and allows us to focus on the front 7 and the quarterback position going forward going forward

Michael Johnson DE 4 yrs/36 million- This one is more due to the connection to Mike Zimmer, and I may be stretching on the ability to sign both of these guys. But getting Johnson gives the a solid edge rusher, and very good run defender opposite Robison. Suddenly this defense has the makings of an upper echelon unit.

Matt Cassel QB 2 yrs/8 million-We bring back Cassel to be the starter going into training camp and the start of the season. In my scenario both Freeman and Ponder are gone either due to trade, or expiration of contract.
[/b]

The Draft
Trade Back: Vikings trade back with the the Rams, gaining their first round pick, and an additional third round selection. Rams move up because they see Watkins falling and don't wait to nab their guy.
Round 1(13): C.J. Mosley MLB/Alabama

-Getting Mosley gives us our middle linebacker of the future and the captain of our defense.

Round 2(40)- LaMarcus Joyner FS/Florida State

-Rangy type that can allow Harrison to play closer to the line, and allow our CB's to play more press-man/Cover 3 type defense.

Trade Up!!! Package St. Louis' 3rd, and Seattles 3rd to Baltimore to selection 16 in round 2
Round 2(4Cool- Zach Mettenberger QB/LSU

-We get our QB of the future, and a prototypical qb for Norv's vertical offense. I believe he molds into the caliber of a Matt Ryan/Joe Flacco level.

Round 3(72)- Dakota Dozier OG/Furman

-Big, physical player who can slide into the LG spot eventually if he beats out Baca/other player

Round 4- Justin Ellis NT/Louisiana Tech

Round 5- Jordan Zumwalt OLB/UCLA

-Physical player who would fit perfectly into Zimmers aggressive defense.

Round 6- Chris Davis CB/Auburn

Round 7- Cody Latimer WR/Indiana

-Good WR depth, and a potential outside threat.

Vikings Dream Draft:
1. Mack/Mosley
2. Joyner
3. Mettenberger
3. Billy Turner
4. Justin Ellis
Purple blood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very nice can't find anything to complain with I love the number of DBs you picked up we HAVE to get that fixed I like mettenberger a lot as well

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a lot of it.

I think Zumwalt is a little low though, that might be wishful thinking.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good picks and planning!

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that a lot for the Vikings.

Just some random thoughts, I'm thinking about LB's taken in the top 10-15 picks, there are few non-pass rushing LB's who get taken that high, while I don't mind Mosley at all, is he going to be that elite?

PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love this offseason. Mosely is a 3 down player/starter. That's worth the number 8 pick, imo.
tonkavikes27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
I like that a lot for the Vikings.

Just some random thoughts, I'm thinking about LB's taken in the top 10-15 picks, there are few non-pass rushing LB's who get taken that high, while I don't mind Mosley at all, is he going to be that elite?

Personally, I think that Mosley is going to be in that level right below Luke Kuechly. He is able to move fluidly in both coverage and laterally, also having the ability to come downhill and make plays in the hole.

Vikings Dream Draft:
1. Mack/Mosley
2. Joyner
3. Mettenberger
3. Billy Turner
4. Justin Ellis
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only concern I have with Mosley is that he has had injury issues at Alabama. It was like something new for him every year.

Also, the more I think about our safety situation, the more I truly believe what will make the Vikings better is to move Harrison Smith to a more SS role, where he can play closer to the box, and acquire or draft a true free safety centerfielder who excels in coverage but is also willing and able to crash the box when needed.

Someone like a Lamarcus Joyner or a Jimmie Ward would be a perfect pairing with Smith in the defensive backfield.
tonkavikes27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

battle2heaven wrote:
The only concern I have with Mosley is that he has had injury issues at Alabama. It was like something new for him every year.

Also, the more I think about our safety situation, the more I truly believe what will make the Vikings better is to move Harrison Smith to a more SS role, where he can play closer to the box, and acquire or draft a true free safety centerfielder who excels in coverage but is also willing and able to crash the box when needed.

Someone like a Lamarcus Joyner or a Jimmie Ward would be a perfect pairing with Smith in the defensive backfield.

you do see he is the second round selection right? and pretty much that exact same rationale

Vikings Dream Draft:
1. Mack/Mosley
2. Joyner
3. Mettenberger
3. Billy Turner
4. Justin Ellis
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Free Agency & Draft
Well Done
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the FA in general. My only criticism, and I can base it only on my gut feeling, I wouldn't sign Cassell for two years. The thought of giving the starters' job to Cassell just makes me nervous. Cassell's value to any team is coming off the bench in an emergency situation. I don't want him to be my starting qb.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginia Viking wrote:
I like the FA in general. My only criticism, and I can base it only on my gut feeling, I wouldn't sign Cassell for two years. The thought of giving the starters' job to Cassell just makes me nervous. Cassell's value to any team is coming off the bench in an emergency situation. I don't want him to be my starting qb.

He just rightfully opted out of a 1 year contract.
GIving him the same coin but for 2 years is a fair deal when your entering the draft with only Ponder as your QB.

In this scenario he should be starting day 1, and see how it goes. I don't think there will be much argument with having a Mett sit at least half a year.
battle2heaven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkavikes27 wrote:
battle2heaven wrote:

you do see he is the second round selection right? and pretty much that exact same rationale

Yes, and that's why I brought it up. I agree with you that it's an excellent selection and just added my input on why he is a good fit.
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Virginia Viking wrote:

He just rightfully opted out of a 1 year contract.
GIving him the same coin but for 2 years is a fair deal when your entering the draft with only Ponder as your QB.

In this scenario he should be starting day 1, and see how it goes. I don't think there will be much argument with having a Mett sit at least half a year.

Only if the Vikings are declaring the 2014 a "building year" (aka the front office doesn't give a damn what the won/loss record is) would I be comfortable with Cassell as a starter for even half a year. I am worried he would revert to his performance level with the Chiefs.
I don't think Zimmer is the type of coach that will be patient with an underperforming veteran starter while the rookie savior is sitting on the bench getting tutored. Zimmer is many things as a coach, but I don't think he's known for his patience.
tonkavikes27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

battle2heaven wrote:
tonkavikes27 wrote:
battle2heaven wrote:

Yes, and that's why I brought it up. I agree with you that it's an excellent selection and just added my input on why he is a good fit.

Gotcha, just wanted to clarify!

Vikings Dream Draft:
1. Mack/Mosley
2. Joyner
3. Mettenberger
3. Billy Turner
4. Justin Ellis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: