Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No More Lonely Nights?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: No More Lonely Nights? Reply with quote

From 2009 to the present day, the Vikings have been all over the map when it comes to performance and record. They’ve been good enough to almost make it to the Super Bowl. They’ve been bad enough to get rid of two head coaches. They’ve had surprisingly good seasons and surprisingly terrible seasons. Through it all, though, there has been a troubling constant: the Vikings have been awful in the past seven seasons in primetime games.

How bad has it been? Shockingly bad, as I found out when I went back through the history. From 2009 until now, the Vikings are 3-18 in night games, including the playoffs (and including the infamous Josh Freeman game in 2013). Their last win at night actually came in that same 2013 season, with Christian Ponder leading the way in a Thursday night win over Washington.

Zimmer, though, has been a master this season at using perceptions to change his team’s reality. The Vikings last year struggled against the NFC North, and he used that as fuel whenever it was mentioned. The Vikings were 2-8 in his first 10 road games as a head coach. He used that, too. The Vikings are 3-1 against the division this year and 4-1 in road games since the rough start.

Can’t win in primetime? That has to be Zimmer’s new motivational ploy.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-are-3-18-at-night-since-2009-giving-zimmer-another-motivational-ploy/362523871/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65XqNajNEhk

"Glove the one you're with."
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings are 0-4 — at San Francisco, vs. Green Bay, vs. Seattle and at Arizona — in their biggest TV spots this season. The flops extend way beyond this season, though.

When playing in a Sunday night slot since the games shifted to NBC in 2006, the Vikings are 1-2. The Vikings’ overall “Sunday Night Football” record is 2-8. They have played 32 games on Sunday night in their history (the first in 1987) and are 15-17 in those games (9-8 at home and 6-9 on the road).

Their last Sunday night victory was actually on a Tuesday night, 24-14 over Philadelphia on Dec. 28, 2010 after the game was delayed by the threat of a blizzard. As well, the Vikings have lost their past seven games when nationally televised on NBC, including a 2012 playoff game against the Packers.

http://www.startribune.com/flexed-schedule-good-for-ratings-maybe-not-for-vikings/362417191/

"Glove the one you're with."
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings are 0-5 — at San Francisco, at Denver, vs. Green Bay, vs. Seattle and at Arizona, in their big games this season.

We're likely to have 2 more (non-1pm, big games, this season) -- NYG & GB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Giants game being flexed to SNF, I have a hard time seeing the Green Bay game get flexed as well.

The more I think about it, while the MN/GB game might be the better game with more "at stake", I think the NFL will flex the TB/CAR game if Carolina is still chasing the perfect season.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
With the Giants game being flexed to SNF, I have a hard time seeing the Green Bay game get flexed as well.

The more I think about it, while the MN/GB game might be the better game with more "at stake", I think the NFL will flex the TB/CAR game if Carolina is still chasing the perfect season.

Candidates for week 17 SNF:

MIN/GB (if for the Division)
PHI/NYG (if for the Division)
SEA/ARI (if for the Division) - ARI going 0-3, SEA going 3-0, and SEA getting help in the next 2 weeks for "strength of victory" (the 5th tiebreaker needed to break them).

I don't see TB/CAR right now unless TB moves up into a gareented Wild Card spot (if thats even possible), cuz Panthers chasing a perfect season, I don't think is big news (on a stand alone). I'm thinking they roll the dice with a game that is simple win and win the division (not counting on other wins/losses by other teams in the 1pm/4pm slot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just assume one of the NFC East teams will be in primetime.

You could make one of those "if a tree falls in the forrest jokes" with the NFC East teams, its unbelievable.

If an NFC East team isn't playing in primetime, was there really a weekend of football?

In all seriousness, I could see that Carolina one getting flexed if they are chasing perfection still. But I also think that if it comes down to a final playoff spot, they'll put New York/Washington in primetime because of the markets + implications.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggs Beefcakes wrote:
In all seriousness, I could see that Carolina one getting flexed if they are chasing perfection still. But I also think that if it comes down to a final playoff spot, they'll put New York/Washington in primetime because of the markets + implications.

Looking back, they put the Patriots on SNF in 2007 Week 17, so that's probably the best bet right now, though we'd probably get bumped to Buck/Aikman coverage. Rolling Eyes
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a hunch, but I wouldn't be surprised, with the new stadium, if the first 2016 regular season home game was in primetime.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
Just a hunch, but I wouldn't be surprised, with the new stadium, if the first 2016 regular season home game was in primetime.

100% agree. TNF is usually reserved for the Super Bowl champs, but I could easily see Sunday or Monday night in Week 1.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back to back to back games against the Packers. Yeah I could see that happening Confused

Live Free. Think Free. Love Free
sinceAtikevike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: No More Lonely Nights? Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
From 2009 to the present day, the Vikings have been all over the map when it comes to performance and record. They’ve been good enough to almost make it to the Super Bowl. They’ve been bad enough to get rid of two head coaches. They’ve had surprisingly good seasons and surprisingly terrible seasons. Through it all, though, there has been a troubling constant: the Vikings have been awful in the past seven seasons in primetime games.

I tried reading the whole thing to the tune of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band...It was just ok.
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: No More Lonely Nights? Reply with quote

sinceAtikevike wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

I tried reading the whole thing to the tune of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band...It was just ok.

Try The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd!! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: