Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

arKnaD7 2015 Pre-combine Mock Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: arKnaD7 2015 Pre-combine Mock Offseason Reply with quote

This is done under the assumption that Adrian Peterson is brought back. I'm not going to worry about if he restructures his contract or not, but just that he returns.

In-House Free Agents Retained
RB Matt Asiata RFA
OL Joe Berger UFA
OL Josh Samuda ERFA
DT Tom Johnson UFA
LB Jasper Brinkley UFA
LB Dom DeCicco ERFA
LS Cullen Loeffler UFA

Not much to comment on here. It would be nice to keep Berger and Johnson, but neither are irreplaceable.

Notable Cuts
OL Charlie Johnson
LB Chad Greenway

Again, not much to say here.

Contract Extensions
WR Jarius Wright
S Harrison Smith

Smith is obvious. With the uncertainty at WR, Wright has been a steady option the last 2 years. It would be advantageous to lock him up if the price is right.

Notable Free Agents
DE Pernell McPhee
LB Akeem Ayers

McPhee and Ayers fit the mold of recent FA targets as both will be 26 at the start of the 2015 season. PFF is really high on McPhee and he has the size to play as a DE. I hadn't considered Ayers until I saw this article. This gives Zimmer 2 new, versatile toys in the front 7.

NFL Draft
Minnesota trades pick #11 for a mid 1st and 3rd
Minnesota trades their 5th round pick for a late 5th and two 7th round picks

1) OL La'el Collins, LSU

2) CB Jalen Collins, LSU

3) WR Tony Lippett, Michigan State

3) LB Max Valles, Virginia

4) OL D.J. Humphries, Florida

5) DT Xavier Williams, UNI

6) TE Blake Bell, Oklahoma

7) LB Curtis Grant, Ohio State

7) CB Donald Celiscar, Western Michigan

7) OL Andrew Donnal, Iowa

La'el Collins can start at LG from day 1, as all indications are that the staff and front office believe in Kalil (I don't). I think he could move across the line based on struggles or injuries. Jalen Collins gives the Vikings their other big, perimeter CB. He looks like a great athlete (watch him run down Melvin Gordon) and has shown the ability to disrupt the catch point. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes higher than this after the combine. Plus this would give everyone their fill of double-dipping from a school and name! Laughing Day 2 is going to have a lot of WRs picked, I really like Lippett. Tall, makes contested catches, and really improved from 2013. He doesn't have the highest ceiling, but I think his floor is very high. Valles is a big ball of clay for Zimmer to mold. He's another guy that will likely be a combine riser and could be a situational pass rusher early on. Humphries is similar pick to Valles. He has tools, likely would need a red-shirt year, but provides some insurance for Kalil. Williams has ideal measurables and was very productive at UNI (93 tackles, 14 TFLs, 8 sacks his senior year). He reportedly had a good week at the Shrine game as well. Bell has great size and is a good athlete, but is very raw as a QB convert. However, he wouldn't be needed to contribute early on. Grant was a highly rated recruit, but never put it all together at Ohio State. I'll take big athletes all day in the 7th round. I really like Celiscar. He reminds me of Casey Hayward. Not a great athlete, but fluid hips and is great at disrupting the catch point. As an Iowa fan, I've seen every game Donnal has played. He's better than other late round OL from Iowa in recent years. I'd even say he was more consistent in pass protection than Brandon Scherff this year.

2015 Roster
QB - Bridgewater, Cassel
RB - Peterson, McKinnon, Asiata/Banyard/UDFA
TE - Rudolph, Ford, Ellison, Bell
WR - Jennings, Patterson, Wright, Johnson, Lippett, Thielen
LT - Kalil, Humphries
LG - Collins, Donnal/Yankey
C - Sullivan, Berger
RG - Fusco
RT - Loadholt

DE - Griffen, McPhee, Robison, Crichton
DT - Floyd, Joseph, Stephen, Johnson, Williams
SLB - Barr, Valles
MLB - Cole, Brinkley, Grant/Mauti
WLB - Ayers, Hodges, Watts
CB - Rhodes, Collins, Robinson, Munnerlyn, 2 of: Celiscar/Price/Sherels
S - Smith, Blanton, Sendejo, Exum

ST - Walsh, Locke, Loeffler

New Free Agent Draft Pick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid, solid

Although I don't like using a third round pick on an outside backer when we have Barr and now Ayers. I think it could be put to better use. Perhaps an inside guy.

I've made my feelings on Collins and this defensive scheme known in the past, but I like addressing the position there.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Solid, solid

Although I don't like using a third round pick on an outside backer when we have Barr and now Ayers. I think it could be put to better use. Perhaps an inside guy.

I've made my feelings on Collins and this defensive scheme known in the past, but I like addressing the position there.

I just don't really like or haven't seen any of the potential ILBs projected to go in that area. So i just went with upside over potential fit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: