Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jshow's Quarter Season Mock: The Future is Bright
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jshowers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Jshow's Quarter Season Mock: The Future is Bright Reply with quote

2014 Schedule
at St. Louis: W
vs. New England: L
at New Orleans: L
vs. Atlanta: W
at Green Bay: L
vs. Detroit: W
at Buffalo: W
at Tampa Bay: L
vs. Washington: W
at Chicago: L
vs. Green Bay: L
vs. Carolina: W
vs. New York Jets: W
at Detroit: L
at Miami: W
vs. Chicago: W

Vikings Record: 9-7

Vikings Free Agency
Gone:
QB Christian Ponder
RB Joe Banyard
FB Jerome Felton
OL Josh Samuda
OL Joe Berger
OL Mike Harris
DL Corey Wootton
LB Dom DeCicco
S Mistral Raymond

Resigned:
RB Matt Asiata
TE Chase Ford
OL Vladimir Ducasse
DL Tom Johnson
LS Cullen Loeffler

Acquired:
OL Xavier Nixon
DT Terrence Cody
LB Rey Maualuga
S Devin McCourty

2015 Draft (Picking somewhere between 14-18, used Fanspeak's board)

1. Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia

6'1''
Vikings Jersey: #33

A special talent at RB, Gurley has the tools and the mindset to come in and be a 3 down, workhorse RB from Day 1. Able to handle a heavy dose of carries, contribute in the passing game, and protect the QB, Gurley can do it all. One of the better RB prospects in recent memory.

2. Ronald Darby, CB, FSU

5'11''
Vikings Jersey: #23

An elite, 5* recruit that also competed in the junior Olympics as a sprinter, Darby is versatile cover corner with world class speed. He isn't a flashy player and won't wow you with his size or INTs, but he has shut down potential. Should run close to 4.30. Health concerns are there, as he's battled some lingering injuries throughout his career, but cannot pass up this talent. Should start out as our #3 or #4 corner playing behind Munnerlyn, seeing plenty of time in relief and in nickel/dime packages.

3. Shaq Thompson, LB, Washington

6'1''
Vikings Jersey: #53

Another elite national 5* recruit, Thompson is what the NFL is moving towards at the WLB spot. A player with enough athleticism to play SS, LB, and RB during his career at UW, Thompson will settle in at WLB for the Vikings and push Chad Greenway from day 1. He's excellent in coverage, can speed rush, and pursues well. Getting stronger and more technical at the point of attack going forward will be key. Big contributor in packages and on special teams as a rookie.

4. DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville

6'3''
Vikings Jersey: #89

Parker is a stud who we get here because of a major foot injury marring his senior season. Teddy Bridgewater's favorite target during college, Parker is long and fast with graceful leaping ability, a huge catch radius, and strong hands. Definitely a vertical receiver, as he's a bit stiff in traffic and on short routes. A mid 4.4 speed guy who will vert in the high 30''s, Parker gives us a field stretcher and a player that will be good for our young QB's confidence and comfort as they both develop.

5. Frank Clark, DE, Michigan

6'2''
Vikings Jersey: #77

Clark is a lot like Everson Griffen in that he's a very toolsy player who just never quite put it all together in college. He started out as a 230 pound linebacker with 4.6 speed and developed into a nearly 280 pound penetrator that comes off the edge and moonlights as an interior rusher. He lacks the length that scouts and defensive coaches drool over, so we take him light for his awesome bull rush, high effort, and potential to groom. He and Crichton give us two young, hard-nosed DEs that are built to stop the run first.

6. Tyler Hunter, S, FSU

5'11''
Vikings Jersey: #20

The second Seminole DB of our draft, Hunter is a fast and rangy safety/slot corner type. He's dealt with some injuries, but has been healthy so far his senior season playing a versatile role. We will list him as a free safety and see what he can grow into playing "centerfield".

7. Jalston Fowler, FB, Alabama

6'1''
Vikings Jersey: #45

A 4* RB coming out of high school, Fowler kept packing on the bulk until he got up into the 240s and made the switch to FB. He's a good blocker (much better than Line) and talented runner/receiver especially around the goal line. A big bruiser with soft hands that should be our starting FB from day 1. Lots of SEC experience. Good football player.

2015 Depth Chart
QB: Teddy Bridgewater // Matt Cassel
RB: Todd Gurley // Matt Asiata // Jerick McKinnon
FB: Jalston Fowler
WR: Cordarrelle Patterson // DeVante Parker
WR: Greg Jennings // Adam Thielen
WR: Jarius Wright //
TE: Kyle Rudolph // Chase Ford // Rhett Ellison
LT: Matt Kalil // Xavier Nixon
LG: Charlie Johnson // David Yankey
C: John Sullivan // Austin Wentworth
RG: Brandon Fusco // Vladimir Ducasse
RT: Phil Loadholt

DE: Everson Griffen // Frank Clark
DT: Linval Joseph // Shamar Stephen // Terrence Cody
DT: Shariff Floyd // Tom Johnson
DE: Brian Robison // Scott Crichton
WLB: Chad Greenway // Shaq Thompson // Brandon Watts
MLB: Ray Maualuga // Audie Cole
SLB: Anthony Barr // Gerald Hodges
CB: Xavier Rhodes // Josh Robinson // Jabari Price
FS: Devin McCourty // Tyler Hunter
SS: Harrison Smith // Robert Blanton // Antone Exum
CB: Captain Munnerlyn // Ronald Darby // Marcus Sherels

LS: Cullen Loeffler
K: Blair Walsh
P: Jeff Locke

Last edited by jshowers on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really think we lose to Tampa?

I love adding Gurley and Parker. Is Parker's injury that serious where he could fall out of round 2?

I'd also like to see what Hodges has to offer before completely ruling him out. If he plays well the rest of the season I'm not sure I see a need to add another OLB. MLB is another story.

How does Darby fare physically? As in press and physical style of play?

Rotational DE always good to add IMO, another S to add to the mix only brings more competition which I'm a fan of. A true FB to replace Felton at a much more reasonable salary is alright with me.

Overall I like it, nice work and a good balance between offense and defense.
32 rec. 366 yards 1 TD
2 games left
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Parker being back as soon as this week, I'm not sure he falls to the fourth round. If he can play at all this year, and his medicals check out at the combine, teams will likely look back at his tape from last year. That tape was requisite of a top two round pick.

Shaq is too much of a tweener for my tastes, but there is no doubting his playmaking ability and athletic ability.

Don't see the team selecting a fullback in the draft given that they've kept Line around this long.

I'm not sure what the fascination with Terrance Cody is? We've got Joseph (granted he hasn't played well this year) and Shamar Stephen has shown encouraging signs of being a find in the 7th. There likely isn't a roster spot for Cody. If he's a camp body that's one thing, but generally mockers around here don't go that in depth.

At 9-7 I don't think we would pick anywhere around pick 14. That's right on the fringe of playoff bound. The New York Giants finished 9-7 in 2012, didn't make the playoffs, and selected 19th.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rey Maualuga is a nice MLB, but I'm just not a fan of his. I guess he's better than Brinkley?

LG is still a huge issue. Charlie Johnson is awful.

Otherwise, nice offseason! It would be crazy if we could get Gurley/Darby/Parker!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the McCourty signing, I'm working on a mock that involves him being brought in. Mock looks very good, I feel like Clark could be a very good player with a year or two of development, and would love to add him to this defense. Great job, man!

Heimdallr wrote:
Watching the game with two pcers fans.

Beer s good
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swap out Shaq Thompson for a LG and and I love it the draft!

I definitely don't want to get rid of Felton. He has been great this year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drafting a running back in the 1st round is an absolute waste. There are more producing running backs coming out of the later rounds than the 1st round. The position just is not that important anymore.

Out of the top 10 rushers in the league so far, none of them were drafted in the 1st round. And out of the top 25 rushers, only 3 of them were 1st round picks, and none of them are with the team that drafted them.
jshowers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurley is an elite RB prospect with very few holes in his game. We head into the draft with Asiata and McKinnon. It makes too much sense.
DJpillz317

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadlocks. That is all.

Prediction: Derek Carr = next Brandon Weeden; Zach Mett will be a good starter; Manziel will be a STAR.
Blake Bortles is going to be a Viking
jshowers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJpillz317 wrote:
Dreadlocks. That is all.

#TeamDreadHead
the_cote_kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Drafting a running back in the 1st round is an absolute waste. There are more producing running backs coming out of the later rounds than the 1st round. The position just is not that important anymore.

Out of the top 10 rushers in the league so far, none of them were drafted in the 1st round. And out of the top 25 rushers, only 3 of them were 1st round picks, and none of them are with the team that drafted them.

This, a thousand times this.
jshowers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Adrian Peterson was in this draft, would you take him in the first?

How about Marshawn Lynch?

Franchise RBs are worth a first round pick.
TENINCH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Raymond was already gone?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:
I thought Raymond was already gone?

On IR.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
If Adrian Peterson was in this draft, would you take him in the first?

How about Marshawn Lynch?

Franchise RBs are worth a first round pick.

Depends on where I was picking. I'm not picking a RB in the top 10, because that likely means you still need players at more cornerstone positions. Still not likely to take a running back in the top 15 for similar reasons.

The closer you get to the end of the first round, then sure I would take a RB. The position is a complementary one, and chances are, if you're picking that late, you have fewer holes in your roster. You can't win a championship with a dominant running back with pieces missing at other cornerstone positions anymore. A great back can mask issues that will be exposed in the playoffs.

The results are out there. Teams that spend the high first rounders on running backs typically aren't successful in the future. Obviously, like with everything else, there are exceptions.

Just the way I would do it, and it's possible that's an entirely terrible way to think about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: