Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

the Viking DEFENSE moving forward under Zimmer/Edwards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: the Viking DEFENSE moving forward under Zimmer/Edwards Reply with quote

Anthony Barr has played linebacker, rushed the quarterback standing up and moved into a defensive end position on passing downs. Everson Griffen has played left end and right end. Brian Robison has rushed from the left end spot and moved inside. The Vikings have dropped several different linemen into coverage, they've shown a three-safety package in their nickel defense and they've been unafraid to blitz safeties such as Harrison Smith. Zimmer said the Vikings are getting to the point at which their understanding of defensive fundamentals is strong enough that he can mix in different ideas, but he still knows there's a danger in mixing in too many different ideas.

Zimmer: "It's a little bit of, 'What can the guy do and still be effective? Once I feel like we have the fundamentals down and the techniques down, then you can worry about tricking somebody else or disguising. You don't always have guys like Griffen, Barr, Robison that can do a number of different things. Those three guys can stand up and drop, play outside linebacker and rush. You don't want to hurt other guys by trying to fit some other guy in something he's not comfortable with. There's a cause and effect with everybody."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/67050/zimmer-tries-to-balance-sturdy-and-exotic-d

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a refreshing defensive scheme! Laughing
17 rec. 204 yards 0 TDs
571 yards to go
10 games left
Must average 57.1 to reach 775
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much excitement that there is about Griffen, Barr, and Robison, I think the key guys are the DTs in Floyd and Joseph. If Joseph can anchor the run defense and get teams into "long to go" situations, we can get creative. Cant get too creative when teams are running it down your throat. And Floyd will be important because if he can provide an interior pass rush, the edge guys will really be able to wreak havoc.

I still think the D is a year away or so from getting to the point where Zim wants it. They still have questions at linebacker and in the secondary. It might not matter who rushes the QBs if our corners and safeties cant hold up in coverage. It should be interesting to see how Rhodes, Blanton, Price/Robinson, and other youngsters progress this year.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having Chris Crocker starting for us may be a help for our front 7. He knows the system, and if he can still play at a high level, it will allow more opportunity for guys like Barr, Griffen and Robison.

down but not out. I still believe!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crocker simply is not a high level player. He is a good place holder. Basically someone that should be replaced but is solid enough to start if needed. I think Coleman has looked decent in the preseason, so maybe he has an advantage over Crocker at this point.
Krauser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I was thinking of starting a thread like this to match the Norv Turner offense thread.

Here's where the Alan Williams thread switched to 2013: http://footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=498793&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135

Stats on the 2013 edition:
Arrow Allowed 480 points, 30.0 points per game (32nd).
Arrow Allowed 6362 yards (31st) on 1132 plays (31st), 5.6 yards per play (22nd), producing 20 turnovers (28th), and allowing 368 first downs (30th)
Arrow Passing defense: 419/648 for 4595 yards (32nd), 37 TDs (32nd), 12 INTs (25th), passer rating 98.7 (30th), 41 sacks (13th)
Arrow Rushing defense: 443 attempts (19th) for 1767 yards (16th), 4.0 YPA (12th), 14 TDs (20th)
Arrow DVOA (0% is average, positive numbers are bad for defenses): Total defense DVOA 11.9% (26th), passing defense DVOA 22.1% (30th), rushing defense DVOA -6.2% (16th)

2013 Drive stats, from Football Outsiders:
Arrow 33.5 yards/drive (27th)
Arrow 2.31 pts/drive (29th)
Arrow 6.06 plays/drive (27th)
Arrow 2:47 time of possession/drive (29th)
Arrow 0.726 "drive success rate" (30th)
Arrow 0.268 TDs/drive (28th)
Arrow 0.232 3-and-outs/drive (19th)
Arrow 0.095 turnovers/drive (30th)
Arrow 5.29 pts/red zone drive (28th)
Arrow 0.619 TDs/red zone drive (26th)

Bottom line: half-decent but unexceptional run defense, terrible pass defense despite a reasonable pass rush, one of the worst defenses in the league, possibly the worst.

As I showed in the 2013 thread, the collapse of the defense from 2012-13 was the main reason the team's record declined.

They allowed 20+ points in 15 games, and 23+ points in 14 games. Only Robbie Gould's missed FG as time expired saved them from another loss and being only the 2nd team ever to allow 23 points in 15 games in a single season. Detroit resting Calvin Johnson and seemingly giving up on the year in week 17 allowed them their only sub-20 point performance. If they'd played Megatron, the Vikings would've likely become the first team in NFL history to fail to hold a single opponent under 20 points in a 16 game season.

This had a huge effect on their record. The Vikings scored 23+ points on the road 5 times (games @ Detroit, Chicago, Dallas, Green Bay, and Baltimore). 23 points is about the median points per game scored by one team in a single game. When a road team scores that many points, they win ~60% of their games (compared to ~40% overall). The Vikings went 0-4-1 in the 5 road games where they scored 23 points. No other team in NFL history has scored 23 points on the road in 5 games without winning at least 2 of them.

If Zimmer (and sure, Edwards) can get the 2014 defense back to respectability (something like 15th-20th overall), that alone should be good for 2 more wins, especially if the offense improves or at least holds its ground.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munnerlyn: “I was playing Cover Three man and I had outside leverage. I knew I was close to the end zone so I knew he couldn’t run by me. He had to stop soon. So I undercut him and made a play. I should have stayed in the end zone to give the offense better field position, but it’s the preseason. In a game situation, I know I’ve got to make a better judgment and get on a knee.”

http://blog.startribune.com/sports/access-vikings/munnerlyn-gets-first-interception-with-vikings

Zimmer: “Obviously there’s still quite a bit of things we have to work on that we need to get better at, but it’s good to see them get some interceptions. Usually when you get around the quarterback, good things happen.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/272451111.html

Three times Kansas City got inside the Vikings 11-yard line, but came away with just three points. At a time when the game was still up for grabs, it was the denial of the Vikings defense to allow the Chiefs to get into the end zone that preserved the lead and gave the Vikings a defensive-minded turning point.

http://min.scout.com/2/1437466.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
xmichaelp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 picks and almost a 4th. Shocked

Zimmer is a wizard.
Krauser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I'm most impressed about is how they're limiting big plays. Granted, they haven't played a top level QB yet, but the numbers are very impressive.

Raiders: 61 plays for 268 net yards, 4.4 yards per play
Cards: 66 plays for 320 net yards, 4.8 yards per play
Chiefs: 68 plays for 285 net yards, 4.2 yards per play

Total: 195 plays for 873 net yards, 4.5 yards per play

Last year, the Seahawks allowed 4.4 yards per play, the Bengals were second with 4.7. Only 7 teams allowed less than 5 yards per play. The Vikings were 22nd with 5.6 yards per play against.

The Vikings already have 2 preseason games where they held the opponent to less than 300 net yards. Last year, the Vikings had only 2 games where they held their opponent to less than 300 net yards (the MNF loss to the Giants, and the last game against the Lions). League average was 5 games, the Seahawks had 9. League-wide winning percentage was .660 in those games.

They've allowed very few big plays:
-- deep pass that Rhodes misjudged
-- WR screen where Munnerlyn and Rhodes missed tackles
-- long run by McFadden where Evans got knocked out of the hole
-- end around in the Cards game
...and a few intermediate passes and QB scrambles.

2nd longest run by a RB they've allowed is 8 yards. Gap control has been excellent on run plays. Tackling has been good overall. Coverage has been tight downfield. Pass rush has been productive.

Yes it's only preseason, but this is very encouraging.
jshowers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmer has spent a lot of time experimenting with a SLB/DE hybrid player in a 4-3 defense, and has had only mild success and some failure. I hope Barr is the guy with the tools and instincts to finally make it click. Early results look encouraging.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Andrew Krammer ‏@Andrew_Krammer 1m
#Vikings run D must please Zimmer: have yet to allow 100yds rushing to a team in 3 exhibitions. 76 att., 273 yds for 3.59 ypc against

Haven't faced a great running back yet, but this is encouraging, and refreshing to see again.
Krauser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Quote:
#Vikings run D must please Zimmer: have yet to allow 100yds rushing to a team in 3 exhibitions. 76 att., 273 yds for 3.59 ypc against

Haven't faced a great running back yet, but this is encouraging, and refreshing to see again.

If you take away the QB scrambles and the end arounds, they've allowed barely 200 yards at less than 3 YPC.

The DL has been solid at the point of attack. Not many TFLs but very few holes.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, gap integrity has been an issue up front on QB runs.

Everson still has a propensity to try and dip inside on his rushes.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Quote:

And that's without Linval Joseph for two games
Krauser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd highest rated defense by PFF in preseason, for what that's worth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: