Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Helpful Tips for Posting in Valhalla (i.e. Vikings Forum)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Helpful Tips for Posting in Valhalla (i.e. Vikings Forum) Reply with quote

We've had a lot of new Vikings fans sign up recently and I wanted to go over some helpful advice for posting in Valhalla.

These tips were posted in other forums by the webmaster, and the major compilation of it was due to the hard work of titanrick, but I thought they would apply in here too. The bolded portions are Webby's advice. I've adapted rick's compilation (as well as some additional ideas from NC_SacKing) for use in here.

When posting on the forums please take the following into consideration.

1. Check for duplicates. Try to add your comments to an existing topic if possible. We have seen a lot of similar topics lately. If you have seen a topic discussing our QB position (or for benching Tarvaris Jackson Wink ), don't start a new topic of which of the multiple QBs you prefer. We all keep up with most threads so if you ask the question in the existing thread, it will get plenty of attention. Also - please don't take it personally if we lock a thread as a duplicate. We're just trying to make it easier to discuss the issues, rather than needing to read through three different threads on WRs.

2. Please keep the posts on topic. This is the Minnesota Vikings forum. We don't see this as much of a problem, but when threads get way off topic, we can create a new thread and keep the existing one on topic.

3. Strive for quality. Don't start a topic just to ask a question or something that can be looked up on Google in a few mins. This is an important one if we want this site to be the best on the web. No one here knows everything so don't feel embarassed about that. But rather than asking questions like "What does this guy do?" or "When did we draft that guy?", take some time to research it on the web and find your answer. Then, your post will be more insightful rather than asking questions which could be answered yourself.

4. Proofread your post. Typos can occur, as none of us are perfect. However, don't be in such a rush to hit the submit button. This is a fantastic habit to acquire. In all walks of life, you'll find people respect you much more if you take the time to communicate clearly and effectively. Posts like "wat do u tink we shuld d obut the WR pozishun?" are not against the rules, but they're difficult to read and will annoy most of the other members. The more care you take in forming your post, the more interest and intelligent replies it will create.

5. Give your topic a descriptive subject which lets members know what they can expect in the post. Don't use generic subjects like "am i" or "help" or "question", etc. This happens occasionally in here. Just make the effort to describe your post in the title. A mysterious title like "Guess what?" may seem like a good way to lure people in, but it creates more duplicate threads and makes the forum less inviting to those who are just reading. They will find a title like "We should trade for David Carr" much more enticing than one like "My Idea".

6. This isn't a race. Take your time and make your post "friendly to readers." When responding to others' posts, go ahead and quote the previous post. However, when quoting too many previous posts, readers will have to scroll through the entire conversation to get to your response. And having to do so likely means they will not even read your response. When quoting a conversation, make sure there are only a couple of quotes, taking the time to delete the older ones before you hit submit. This will ensure that your response gets read by others and makes for a more lively conversation.

Finally, a few pieces of advice:

Idea We're all here to have fun and talk Vikings football. If you have a negative comment, please be respectful and never make the comment personal. If you get negative feedback on your post, keep an open mind and don't get defensive. We're unique here in that we promote respect and intelligent conversation. Arguments don't add anything positive.

Idea Don't ever hesitate to talk to either vikingsrule or myself. As the Vikings moderators, it's our responsibility to keep the forum clean of problems. If you have a problem, question, or issue with ANYTHING going on here, please PM one of us and we will help you. We want everyone to enjoy themselves here, and will do anything to ensure that your experience here is a happy one. If you don't yet have PM privileges and have an issue, don't worry about it. We check these forums frequently and will see any potential problems before they get out of hand. Also, if you do have an issue, it's always better to PM us, as situations will usually get resolved much quicker and easier that way.

Idea If you are new to FF, read and introduce yourself in the Intro thread. Introducing yourself to the other members will help as an icebreaker in getting to know the other members on the site as well as let them know who you are. We're all Vikings fans, so don't be afraid to show your Purple Pride!

Idea Realize that we do have to do "dirty work" sometimes. We will lock threads that are duplicates, off topics, or not in line with any of the rules. We will delete posts that are inappropriate. If you break any of the rules repeatedly, you will get a warning. We don't do these things because we enjoy them (except for VD Laughing ) or dislike you, it's simply our duty and we take it very seriously. While you will come to learn that we're generally easy-going, being a Moderator comes first. The Vikings forum is one of the busiest and best forums in FF, and we, along with our members, would like to keep it that way. So, keep on debating whether it's player execution or it's bad Chilli play-calling, but keep it clean, keep it nice, and most of all, keep it fun and interesting!

Idea If you have a topic that doesn't fit exactly into the topic of being Vikings-related, please use one of the following threads to ask your question or submit your discussion:
For Non-Football Discussion, please use the aSK Anything Thread: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=379834

For Football Discussion not related to the Vikings, use the NFL Snooze News Thread: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=194000&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Idea If you like to keep up on information about our division foes or have something to post about them (respectfully and within the rules, of course), please use one of the following threads to post your North nuggets:

Cheese Bites (Packers news): http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=202972

Windy City News (Bears news): http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=202788

Motor City MoJo (Lions News): http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=202971

Thanks to all and Keep up the great work as always!

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Last edited by disaacs on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:41 am; edited 11 times in total
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Helpful Tips for Posting in Valhalla (i.e. Vikings Foru Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Don't ever hesitate to talk to either Lee, VD, or myself. If you have a problem, question, or issue with ANYTHING going on here, please PM one of us and we will help you.

ANYTHING...?

hey, i don't want to be giving advice about personal fungus removal to these guys, you know!

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
VikingsFan51

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, VD, you can help us adolescents with all of our significant (?) others problems...

And why did you unsticky this? if this was never stickied I ought to shut up
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikingsFan51 wrote:
And why did you unsticky this?

people are actually MORE likely to see it if it isn't stickied.

Webmaster wrote:
VikingsFan51

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

Fair 'nuff. I just like questioning authority Wink Laughing Shocked
Vikadan11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
4. Proofread your post. Typos can occur, as none of us are perfect. However, don't be in such a rush to hit the submit button. This is a fantastic habit to acquire. In all walks of life, you'll find people respect you much more if you take the time to communicate clearly and effectively. Posts like "wat do u tink we shuld d obut the WR pozishun?" are not against the rules, but they're difficult to read and will annoy most of the other members. The more care you take in forming your post, the more interest and intelligent replies it will create.

Well I'm out of luck on this one ~ Not only do I have dislexia and ADD ~ To top that off my spelling sucks ~ Amd this is no joke ~ Hope you guy can handle it ~
Enrage

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikadan11 wrote:
Quote:

Well I'm out of luck on this one ~ Not only do I have dislexia and ADD ~ To top that off my spelling sucks ~ Amd this is no joke ~ Hope you guy can handle it ~

Yeah, your the only person I know who has completely abandoned punctuation and gone with tildes. I must admit that it makes thing a lot simpler though... Laughing

The Mégane Experiment wrote:
Do you know why this is better than France? The French don't live here..
Da_Vikes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda of off topic, but why do you call the vikings forum Valhalla??
beneichten

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da_Vikes wrote:

Valhalla (believe) was the ol' Norse Vikings version of "heaven" or "paradise" or something around that, if someone is up to it look it up on wikepedia, that should help.
El Raymundo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beneichten wrote:
Da_Vikes wrote:

Valhalla (believe) was the ol' Norse Vikings version of "heaven" or "paradise" or something around that, if someone is up to it look it up on wikepedia, that should help.

Ask and ye shall receive.

"Live as brave men; and if Fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -- Cicero
vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to mention our Valhalla Awards presented live online Saturday Feb 24 at 7 pm CST

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=98519

Webmaster wrote:
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
VikingsFan51 wrote:
And why did you unsticky this?

I almost considered not "sticky"ing it in the first place, but I didn't want it to float away onto another page either, which it's bound to do. Wink

Thx to Uncle Buck!
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Helpful Tips for Posting in Valhalla (i.e. Vikings Foru Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
disaacs wrote:
Don't ever hesitate to talk to either Lee, VD, or myself. If you have a problem, question, or issue with ANYTHING going on here, please PM one of us and we will help you.

ANYTHING...?

hey, i don't want to be giving advice about personal fungus removal to these guys, you know!

I would say that would kind of fall under this clause:

Don't start a topic just to ask a question or something that can be looked up on Google in a few mins.

And if you need stock advice, talk to Jim Cramer. Wink

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to say that all our members are doing a great job of keeping info and our views in the easiest way to sort through them.

our forum truly is one of the best ones on this site and we're attracting new members pretty much every day!

Webmaster wrote:
vikefan8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think were getting new members to fourm every day because of most post have a sexy feel to them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: