Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

team needs heading into the offseason
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What position do you feel we should address in round one?
CB
44%
 44%  [ 8 ]
G/T
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
C
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
RE
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
SLB
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
WR
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

Anonymous3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: team needs heading into the offseason Reply with quote

A write-up I posted in the mock draft forum.

Bengals Team Needs:

CB (1st-3rd Round) - Terrence Newman, the current LCB is probably a year or two from retirement. Or RCB (who is our primary slot CB when teams go to 3 WR sets), Leon Hall is coming off his second major lower body injury. Adam Jones is on the wrong side of 30, and was responsible for some burnt toast crumbs left on the field all season. Dre Kirkpatrick, as well allowed some big plays, but still hasn't progressed enough to trust. Easily put, this is a pressing need.

OL (Any Round) - This could change, depending on impeding free agent Anthony Collins. If he is re-signed, the Bengals would likely move long-time starting LT Andrew Whitworth to LG, which would eliminate both the need for a LT, depending on the length of Collins' contract, and a LG. Kyle Cook, our starting C, is a huge liability blocking, especially in short yardage situations. He needs to be upgraded, but there is a good chance the Bengals ignore the C position altogether. They always fall in love with below-average starters for some reason. If they choose to address C, I would imagine it would be between rounds 2-5. Kevin Zeitler didn't play quite as well as the Bengals would have hoped, but is in no position to lose his job. Same goes for Andre Smith, who is penciled in at RT. If the Bengals don't re-sign Collins, they'll likely draft a LT early and move Whitworth to LG, or draft a LG between rounds 2-5 to push Clint Boling, who started most of the games at LG this season. The Bengals also like to draft project lineman between rounds 5-7.

DE (Round 1-5) - This really all depends on what Michael Johnson does. If he stays, then this is not a need at all. Currently we have Carlos Dunlap at LE, with Robert Geathers (could be a cap casualty) and Margus Hunt, last year's second round pick) behind him. At RE we have Michael Johnson, and the surprising team leader in sacks, Wallace Gilberry. If MJ93 leaves, the Bengals could address RE as early as round 1, to keep a premium level of talent there, or possibly as late as round 5. I think if we chose to address this in the draft, it would be sooner as opposed to later.

SLB (Any Round) - Although the rest of our LB core appears to be set for next season (Maualuga/Rey/ at MLB, Burfict/Lamur/Joiner/Porter), I think SLB is unsettled. Currently we have James Harrison, who like Newman is basically at the end of his career. Harrison played alright in limited snaps. But we have nothing behind him, other than special teams ace Jayson DiManche. I wouldn't generally consider a SLB early, but the Bengals draft history since the Marvin Lewis era suggest we will take a LB early. We've drafted something like 8-9 LB's in the first three rounds during ML's tenure. The only one that makes sense is SLB. I wouldn't be surprised to see us address it as high as round one, or completely ignore it until late in the draft.

QB (3rd-7th Round) - Andy Dalton is going to be the starter next year, and no we're not taking a QB in the first round, nor the second round. But past that, the options are limitless. Not only would it be ideal to have someone to push Andy, but Josh Johnson has to have some competition. We cannot have him going in as our backup QB again. And with Gruden gone, I think Johnson's days as a Bengals are dwindling.

RB (3rd-7th round) - Yes, I believe the Bengals could address RB as high as round three. We've seen the value of having two talented RBs, and with the Bengals commitment to the running game (so they claim), we really need to have some competition behind Gio Bernard in the backfield. BJGE was far from spectacular last season, and with an expendable contract is in danger of being cut. I would personally be stoked if we cut BJGE and took a RB early, but I think the chances are slim. Changes have to be made, though, if we want to improve our team and one place to start is upgrading the OL and giving Dalton and the offense another play maker. If the Bengals chose to go into the season with Bernard/BJGE, then definitely expect a FA signing, or late round pick to compete with Burkhead and Peerman, who always finds a way to stick around due to his special team contributions.

TE (5th-7th) - I imagine the Bengals signing a veteran free agent, much like they did with Alex Smith, or even bringing him back. In the instance that doesn't happen, we likely would address the position late in the draft.

S (5th-7th) - Right now we have Iloka and Mays (if we re-sign him and I fully believe we will) at SS, and Reggie Nelson, Shawn Williams, and Tony Dye at FS. Considering there isn't any competition to unseat any of these guys, I would imagine we will sign a veteran AND draft a S late in the draft. If Mays walks, which I think the only scenario that happens in is if he chooses to follow Zimmer, then we'll address S early. Given that Williams can rotate between both FS and SS in our system, we are liable to draft either. I would imagine we would target someone large enough to fill Mays role in our defense. I see Chris Crocker returning back to retirement, but if he gets the urge to play again and we re-sign him, then that actually lessens the immediate need for both a S and CB (although it would be stupid to let Crocker deter us from a first round CB)

DT (5th-7th) - Only way we draft someone here is if someone falls that we absolutely love with and really want to draft and develop. We currently have Geno Atkins, Devon Still, Brandon Thompson, Domata Peko, Larry Black Jr, Ogemdi Nwagbuo, and Christo Bilukidi. Not much room there.

WR (1st-7th) - Hear me out, while I don't think even a 3rd or 4th round WR is going to happen, it 100% is not out of the question. Never settle for less than the best, and if that's the case we can certainly create some competition for any of the WR spots behind Green. I like what we have in AJ, Sanu, Jones and Hawkins, but with today's passing game I am never surprised when teams address WR early, who weren't expected to. I am not an advocate of taking a WR early, as I think an improved OL and running game is the key to opening up our passing game, but I am a realist and understand it's possible. We have the talent, now let's use it. A late round WR could be selected as a STs contributor as well.

Late rounds usually focused on STs (think WR, S, LB), and a developmental project (think QB, OL, etc.)

Not going to draft:
K
P
FB/H-Back

My prediction, as of now:

Collins comes back, MJ93 leaves. Sign a veteran DE.

Round 1 - CB
Round 2 - SLB
Round 3 - C/G/T
Round 4 - QB
Round 5 - HB
Round 6 - C/G/T
Round 7 - S

I didn't add QB to the poll, simply because I know some people will vote that's what they feel we should address first, but in reality we all know it's not happening.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few thoughts. I doubt Geathers or Peko get cut as they are leaders of the team. Marvin likes them too much. Same goes for BJGE.

I see us going

1. CB
2. OL
3. DE
4. QB
5. RB
6. OL
7. TE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
Few thoughts. I doubt Geathers or Peko get cut as they are leaders of the team. Marvin likes them too much. Same goes for BJGE.

Geathers is the only one I see getting the axe.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burifict, Maualuga, Rey, Harrison, Lamur, Porter, DiManche... I don't see LB as a need at all. If a good value is there then of course you take it, but it's not a need. It's one of the deepest positions on the team.

IMO, our needs, in no particular order: QB, OT, OG, OC, DE, CB
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:
Burifict, Maualuga, Rey, Harrison, Lamur, Porter, DiManche... I don't see LB as a need at all. If a good value is there then of course you take it, but it's not a need. It's one of the deepest positions on the team.

If a guy like Van Noy is around either in the 1st but possibly 2nd I can see us looking at him

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:

SLB is definitely a need. DiManche was eaten up when he played anything but STs and Harrison is basically about to retire. We don't have anything at SLB. I agree MLB and WLB are two of our strongest positions, however.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the way this team played in the playoffs, OL is the top need that must be addressed in this draft. T, G, or C would be any OK to address. Id rather keep G at the bottom of out of these 3 though. C is the biggest need IMO, but drafting a C in the 1st round doesn't seem to be something the Bengals would do though. T would be the top need if they don't resign Collins. If hes back, then they should draft Travis Swanson.

CB is an important need, just not more important than the OL.

No exact order, but the needs would be QB, OL, DE, LB, and CB at the top of my head
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
After the way this team played in the playoffs, OL is the top need that must be addressed in this draft. T, G, or C would be any OK to address. Id rather keep G at the bottom of out of these 3 though. C is the biggest need IMO, but drafting a C in the 1st round doesn't seem to be something the Bengals would do though. T would be the top need if they don't resign Collins. If hes back, then they should draft Travis Swanson.

No exact order, but the needs would be QB, OL, DE, LB, and CB at the top of my head

Yeah, my post was in no specific order. I do agree C our biggest need. I would put it

1. C
2. CB
3. G/T (depending on Collins)
4. QB
5. SLB
6. DE
7. RB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous3 wrote:
Hokie wrote:

SLB is definitely a need. DiManche was eaten up when he played anything but STs and Harrison is basically about to retire. We don't have anything at SLB. I agree MLB and WLB are two of our strongest positions, however.

As often as we play in the nickel, where the SLB is taken off the field, I don't view it as a huge need. We used a 4th round pick on Porter last season; I'd like to see if he could show something before I'd view it as a need. I know he played both SLB and WLB in college and I'm not sure what we viewed him as, but given all the depth we have at LB, I think someone could fill in easily if Harrison was to go down.

And Malaluga has plenty of experience at SLB, if all else fails.
theJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:

Whit won't stay at LG if Collins leaves. They need a C and probably a G in general for backup purposes at the least. If they don't resign Collins, they'll need a LG. If they do resign him then pollack was fine in that backup role IMO.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:
Anonymous3 wrote:
Hokie wrote:

As often as we play in the nickel, where the SLB is taken off the field, I don't view it as a huge need. We used a 4th round pick on Porter last season; I'd like to see if he could show something before I'd view it as a need. I know he played both SLB and WLB in college and I'm not sure what we viewed him as, but given all the depth we have at LB, I think someone could fill in easily if Harrison was to go down.

And Malaluga has plenty of experience at SLB, if all else fails.

Scheme-wise, since we rarely drop back our SLB, Porter is a weak fit over there. He's the perfect fill-in WLB for Burfict every once in a blue moon, when he needs a break. And I think if we had a more talented LB to work with, you would be seeing us running a SLB out on third down a lot more than Maualuga, who is a dreadful player in passing situations.

I personally believe we could get away with a 3rd-4th round pick, as SLBs usually translate to the NFL with success (minus Dontay Moch), but think given our LB drafting history that between 1-4 is completely probable. Again, I'm trying to think more in terms of what the Bengals are thinking, as opposed to what I want. And I would be willing to bet that the Bengals are thinking LB in the first three rounds.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the bengals draft linebacker. They love adding undrafted guys at linebacker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:

Whit won't stay at LG if Collins leaves. They need a C and probably a G in general for backup purposes at the least. If they don't resign Collins, they'll need a LG. If they do resign him then pollack was fine in that backup role IMO.

Whitworth is getting too old though. He played so much better when shoved in at LG. There are some good LT options in the draft this year if they fall to the Bengals. I would be ecstatic to have Taylor Lewan fall at 24. That's a guy you can pencil in as the LT for the next couple of years, and then they can keep Whitworth at LG.

If Collins doesn't return, and they decide to push Whitworth back at LT, I think they are better off to stick with Boling again. Hes great in pass protection, just not in run blocking still. Cook needs to go though. Hes got 3 years left on his contract and I don't think they would be wise to keep him around. But there is a good free agency market for C this year, so if they put Whitworth back at LT, and sign a new guy like Alex Mack for example, then they should draft a OG like Zack Martin.

I don't care how this OL is addressed, but changes need to be made NOW.
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
I doubt the bengals draft linebacker. They love adding undrafted guys at linebacker

History would suggest ML loves drafting early LBs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
theJ wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:

Whitworth is getting too old though. He played so much better when shoved in at LG. There are some good LT options in the draft this year if they fall to the Bengals. I would be ecstatic to have Taylor Lewan fall at 24. That's a guy you can pencil in as the LT for the next couple of years, and then they can keep Whitworth at LG.

If Collins doesn't return, and they decide to push Whitworth back at LT, I think they are better off to stick with Boling again. Hes great in pass protection, just not in run blocking still. Cook needs to go though. Hes got 3 years left on his contract and I don't think they would be wise to keep him around. But there is a good free agency market for C this year, so if they put Whitworth back at LT, and sign a new guy like Alex Mack for example, then they should draft a OG like Zack Martin.

I don't care how this OL is addressed, but changes need to be made NOW.

I would love to get a OT, Swanson and a CB like Pourify in the first 3 rounds. Grab a QB and RB on day 3 that fit what Jackson wants

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: