Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

To the Father of our Team: We will never forget.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: To the Father of our Team: We will never forget. Reply with quote

Seven years ago, this day (February 12th 2006), the Father of our team passed from this world. Thomas Wade Landry was the very first Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys, at the time he was 75. This is my tribute to him.

-Coach Tom Landry was a native son of the Lone Star State. Born on September 11th, 1924 in Mission, Texas to Ray and Ruth Landry.

-Coach Landry has had to overcome obstacles all throughout life. Early in his childhood, Tom Landry was struck by a car and nearly killed. Just like that, his life almost ended before he could have had the impact upon so many.

-Coach Landry was one of the most inspiring and respectful individual to ever grace this earth. He was enrolled in the University of Texas but took some time off to serve his nation in World War II. This patriot had over 30 missions as a bomber pilot, including an incident where he survived a crash.

-Coach Landry played for the Giants, and during his tenure there he became a "Player-Coach" in which he utilized his brilliance to create what is referred to as the the "Flex" defense. Later in his Coaching career he revived the Shotgun Offense,

-In 1960 Coach Landry became the very first Head Coach for the Dallas Cowboys, and his tenure would last for 29 glorious seasons. His stay with the Dallas Cowboys is the second longest tenure all-time for an NFL coach, behind only George Halas of the Bears. In this time he amassed 270 wins, which stands 3rd all time in the NFL. Because of Coach Tom Landry, the Dallas Cowboys hold a NFL record 20 consecutive winning seasons. During his tenure he won 13 NFC East Titles and appeared in 5 Super bowls, winning two of them.

-Coach Landry aided in the creation of America's Team, the Dallas Cowboys, since he brought stability and a winning attitude to a new franchise. His 29 seasons as the Head Coach helped established a precedence for excellence for the 'Boys.

-Coach Landry has a 20-16 record in the postseason, which is the most wins for any Coach in NFL History for the postseason.

Coach Tom Landry was the definition of toughness. But he had an elegance to him. Friends and players often remark how he honest to a fault. Integrity and faith were the two driving forces of his heart, second to his family. A man of God, A man of Honor, A man of Virtues and Values. He was the spittin' image of class. I have heard dozens of stories of how humble he was throughout all of life. He was the embodiment of a gentleman.

Under the dour Landry's tutelage, the Cowboys are what they are today. Coach Landry is a member of the Hall of Fame (class of 1990) as well as the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor (1993).

I have heard story, after story, of what an upstanding citizen he was. His love and passion for the game transcended decades and still touches not only Dallas Cowboy fans, but all football fans. He is the reason that I am a Dallas Cowboy fan today, and to a large part he is the reason each and everyone of you are fans. They say legends never die, they simply fade away. I am here to tell you, Landry has been immortalized in the hearts of ever fan. He will never fade from our memories as he gazes down upon our team.

If you have a story you would like to share, then please take this time to do so. I am dedicating my 6,000 post in his memory.

Thank you for your service to your country. Thank you for your service to the NFL. Thank you for your service to the Dallas Cowboys. Thank you for being the embodiment of all that is right in the world. Tom, Thank you for all the memories.

May you rest in peace, Son of Texas, and know that your stay on earth has had a profound impact on an entire nation and thousands of individuals.

We will always remember!

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
S.A.cowboyfan

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice T_O7. He was a great coach and a great person.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, throughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting 'GERONIMO'!!!
MightyMouse07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always liked his hat. It just seems so cool.

Laundry just looks like he would be one of those guys who would beat you into shape and make you play you butt off. I wish I would have gotten a chance to see him coach.

“Anytime I step out there I give everything I got, on every single play.” - Ray Lewis
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this last night as I was heading to bed and wanted to wait till I could devote the time to read the entire thing line for line. I'm glad I did.... Great post TO7

Sig courtesy of mack.
GeauxLSUTigers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice read. Cowboys fan or not Landry was the definitive "class act" head coach.

1958, 2003, and 2007 National Champions!
chrisbcowboys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats magnifecent.Great guy was Tom Landry.There will be no coach like him ever again.Great post TO7
rant67

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great, what a coach he was and he is the true father of the Dallas Cowboys. in loving memory of Tom Landry

To always be remembered...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: