Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our Draft...In a different Light.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Backwoodsboy65

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Our Draft...In a different Light. Reply with quote

Several people look at us taking Alex Smith and say that it would be a waste, because it would be the same as us picking up 2 QB's in the first two rounds. Well, in my opinion, if you are going to say that, then you must say the same thing about RB. We traded our 3rd rounder to St. Louis last year in order to pick up Lamar Gordon. He didn't have much of a season last year, mainly because of being injured. So, if we should give AJ Feeley a chance, shouldn't we give Lamar Gordon a chance? We did give up a 3rd rounder for him and he is still only 25 years old. With Travis Minor and Sammy Morris as backups, we don't have a strong backfield, but could be good enough. It seeems very similar to the one Linehan had in Minnesota.

Even if we don't pick up a RB in the first, I believe we will pick one up later in the draft, as a security for Gordon. The fins organization did say that they were happy with Gordon. I am not sure if this was to justify the 3rd round pick that they gave up for him, or if it was sheding a little light on the situation. Remember, that came out before Saban restricted all information from the media. So, is Ronnie Brown the smokescreen in the draft? or will the fins really look for a new star RB?

After looking at this, you must look at our DB situation. We don't have any standout safeties at this point. Tony Bua at SS is a toss up and I wouldn't rely fully on Traveres Tillman and Tebucky Jones, who were only signed to one year deals. So, who could be picked up that could start at S or possibly CB if Patrick Surtain is dealt to KC? The answer to the question is Antrel Rolle. He is one of the top CB's in the draft and holds a great amount of potential. Many feel that he would make a great FS and could fill the dolphins need for many years to come. This addition would give the fins a ton of potential at DB, along with Will Poole and Tony Bua, and would help out with the loss of Surtain (if he does get traded). The problem with him is...should we draft him at #2? If the fins can find a trade down partner in the top 8 picks, then look for them to go after Antrel.

So the question is...do you look at the draft as though we have already picked up a QB and RB in A.J. Feeley and Lamar Gordon, or do you come with a fresh approach filling the areas with need?

FF Member #1000
MIAMI54

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The #2 we gave up for Feeley hurts...I dont think Gordons the answer. I'd pick up Edwards if we cant trade down, and maybe try to deal Booker for a #3...if we can trade down, id try to get Rolle, Williamson, or S. Cody, and a RB in the second or third...(maybe Arrington, Shelton, or Morrency). I dont consider Feeley or Gordon as applying to this years draft, just a bad decision by Spielman. Feeley should have been had for a #5, and Gordon for a #4. IMO.
wrayce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordon on the rams was good but he had an great line and a passing game so i dont think he will do good as a number 1 back on the miami team

My signature gallery
Backwoodsboy65

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that right now, Lamar doesn't have what it takes to be the #1 back for the dolphins for good.
FF Member #1000
alexdolphin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this article was another way to see our position in the draft:

http://www.finheaven.com/cms/130.html
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems logical but I disagree. First off, Gordon, unlike Feeley, didnt show any signs of promise last year. In fact, Leonard Henry playhed better than Gordon did last year, plus Gordon proved himself very injury prone.

Bua wont be ready this year bat SS and I am positive we will draft a saftey, but Rolle cant play SS, only FS, and I think Tillman and Bell could form a solid duo at FS. An upgrade would be nice, but to pick him over a RB or WR, whoch is a much bigger need as offense is our issue? No way. We have plenty of replacement Surtains in Will Poole, who showed a lot of promise loast year, Reggie Howard (former Panthers starting CB in SB year, great tackler), and MArio Edwards as a 3rd guy, just in case.

I come into the draft thinking we have needs, forgetting thre trades and I think that makes RB very logical if we decide Ronnie is BPA. AT 2, or 8, or wherever we pick first round, we go BPA unless its a CB or DE (we have enough of each). I want another S but in the second (if we get one for Surtain) through fourth as there are solid prospects there in Bullocks, Shazor, Rosegreen, Nicholson, and Considine.

Dt is also a need with Bowens older and very banged up so he can probably only play 60 percent of plays if in the best situation we cabn hope for. Chester is also injury prone and Zgonnina clearly cant handle the job too well so a big run stopper would help.

OLB and MLB deserve looks but only if they are BPA. MLB would help with us playing 3-4 occasionally and an injury prone Thomas plus a relatively unproven Pope there. I would expect one LB to be drafted anywaher from round 2 (if we gte a pick and a Burnett or Blackstock type falls) to round 5 as after that at LB, the talent drops. I like Boley a lot though and think eh could be a solid pick.

If Colquitt falls to us in the 5th, I cant see us passing him as he is too good with Turks inconsistency (remember that bengals 4th quarter? 3 31 or less yard punts). I also could see Nugent if he somehow falls to fourth round as MAre has been sliiping the lpast few years.

A KR/PR late is worth thought just to challenge Welker and back him up. A WR that could return would be great as that would fill two places where we kind of need.

A development QB betetr be drafted or I will be very upset and I could see us going with someone in the 3rd-5th, likely a guy with potential more than proof...

OL is a big need but I see nobody other than Barnes, Brown, and BArron who would upgrade a position, and Im not even sure they would. Adam terry would be worht a look if we got a 2nd, along with Baas and Elton Brown. I expect an OL to be taken-but if we get Mckinney, I wouldnt be shocked if we dont,as we would then have a starter and backup at every OL position (even if Handot starts over McKinnewy, he wwould switch t RG assuming Carey got hurt). RG would still eb a great pick for depth and to challenge Carey more.

Thats just my $0.02.
frankmoore

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to post a reply to this since lunchtime, but the damn server seems to have a problem accepting my messages.

Anyway, I won't belabor the "take the best player available, regardless of need or position" mantra I have espoused like a skipping CD.

I think that you have to approach this draft as though we do not have our 2nd, 3rd, and 6th round draft picks, but do have Chicago's 3rd round pick. To view it as though Feeley, Gordon, and Boston were those picks only serves as an attempt to rationalize and justify who bad a decision trading tomorrow's picks for today's players can be. Unless you're trading someone else's picks for players, it's a bad idea.
FF Member #1031
Backwoodsboy65

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a side note, what I posted earlier in the first two paragraphs is not my opinion, it was merely talking about the people that keep saying that picking up Alex Smith is a waste of a second rounder, so we should pick up Brown. But, most of those people don't know that we used a second rounder on Gordon. I don't feel that Saban is going into the draft after any particular position, but rather BPA. I think he rank the players by evaluated talent and just because it is a need, doesn't neccessarily mean they will move up his board.

But, I do believe that if we trade down to say...8th? Brown, Edwards, and Smith will all be gone and if Antrel Rolle is there, I dont think Saban won't pass him up, he is too good of a player.

Quote:
Bua wont be ready this year bat SS and I am positive we will draft a saftey, but Rolle cant play SS, only FS, and I think Tillman and Bell could form a solid duo at FS.

I dont think Bua will be ready at all this year. But his potential is great. Personally, I am not confident in Tillman and Bell at all. I hope they will prove me wrong.

But, I do believe that Gordon will get better, just not sure how much. I Don't think we could fully rely on him.
FF Member #1000
JCool333

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant see us saying Rolle is a better pick for us that Cadillac or even Benson. And if were at 9 or so, one of them should be left. Id also take DJ over Rolle.[/i]
frankmoore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCool333 wrote:
First off, Gordon, unlike Feeley, didnt show any signs of promise last year. In fact, Leonard Henry playhed better than Gordon did last year, plus Gordon proved himself very injury prone.

How can you say that Gordon showed no signs of promise last year? He was running behind an offensive line that was a complete joke. Besides, if you take away Henry's 1 long run, he and Gordon have practically the same rushing average.

As for the "injury prone" label, that would apply to every running back that the Dolphins had last year, not just Gordon. Gordon just happens to be the only one whose injuries cost him the season.
FF Member #1031
frankmoore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backwoodsboy65 wrote:
Just a side note, what I posted earlier in the first two paragraphs is not my opinion, it was merely talking about the people that keep saying that picking up Alex Smith is a waste of a second rounder, so we should pick up Brown. But, most of those people don't know that we used a second rounder on Gordon. I don't feel that Saban is going into the draft after any particular position, but rather BPA. I think he rank the players by evaluated talent and just because it is a need, doesn't neccessarily mean they will move up his board.

I got the point you were trying to make when I stopped to read what you were saying (instead of giving it the quick once-over and then making comments about what I assumed you were trying to say). If I came across as brisk it was because I had been trying to post a message all afternoon and damn server wouldn't accept it.

I think what you're experiencing is the fact that when you have a new player who misses time significant time to injury a lot of fans tend to forget that the player was there in the first place. A good example would be Yeremiah Bell who missed both of his first two seasons in the league.

Another fact is that too many fans also play fantasy football and want uber-RBs who can rack up points in a fantasy league. They want to see feature backs who have seasons like Ricky did in 2002 instead of RB by committee with three guys who rush for 1800 yards and 14 TDs.

I think Alex Smith would be a good draft choice if he can realize all of his potential. I wouldn't mind seeing Braylon Edwards either. But I'm not letting myself get locked into one guy because I have no idea how things are going to transpire.
FF Member #1031
JCool333

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankmoore wrote:
JCool333 wrote:
First off, Gordon, unlike Feeley, didnt show any signs of promise last year. In fact, Leonard Henry playhed better than Gordon did last year, plus Gordon proved himself very injury prone.

How can you say that Gordon showed no signs of promise last year? He was running behind an offensive line that was a complete joke. Besides, if you take away Henry's 1 long run, he and Gordon have practically the same rushing average.

As for the "injury prone" label, that would apply to every running back that the Dolphins had last year, not just Gordon. Gordon just happens to be the only one whose injuries cost him the season.

Gordon also had injury problems in college and with the Rams.

I obviously dont think that Gordoon and Henry are equal or even close, but Gordon, no matter how bad the line was, still showed no promise from his play...It doesnt mean hes bad, it means he didnt shown anything yet at least.

I still dont think we can go in to the season with a Gordon/Minor/Morris Rb situation again, and, if RB is BPA of all positions excluding CB and DE, I wouldnt take Smith over one, or Rolle. I do think however, that despite our defensive issues, we shouldn't be going D first round, unless they are BPA by far. I would take a Thomas Davis if he were BPA or a Travis Johnson, but only becaus ethose are definite needs. If I were give a choice of DJ, Caddy, or Benson, I would have DJ third on that list as defense just isnt as big of a need, and DJ wont be ready for a few years according to msot scouts. i think that RBs tend to adjust faster than all positions, excluding maybe WR and DE, so i think thats where we should go...RB or WR...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: