Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans Needs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DetroitSports

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Texans Needs Reply with quote

I am going to do a mock draft, and I am interested as to what your needs are.

Also, what prospects you are interested in, which ones you dislike.

Players that are expendable for trades, or positions that trade could/should fill.

Please fill me in.
texansfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have many needs, but very few glaring weaknesses. Upgrades are required in every area except for Quarterback. We could use help in the following areas (and in no particular order):

1. O-line: An upgrade is definitely needed. If a player such as Alex Barron fell to 13, he would have to be considered with that pick. If he is gone tho, look for them to grab another position in the first.

2. Receivers: A good number 2 receiver is a priority as it will allow us to take some heat off of Andre Johnson. Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams would be great, but Troy Williamson is more of a likely guy that will be available at 13.

3. D-line: When healthy, Gary Walker, Seth Payne and Robaire Smith can really do some damage. But health has been a concern and an infusion of youth is a priority. Adding a guy like Marcus Spears in the first, or someone like Chris Canty in the 2nd or 3rd are ways they are looking at right now.

4. Linebackers: Inside linebackers aren't really a concern right now since Kailee Wong will be moved inside to team with Morlon Greenwood. But outside we could use another guy to team with Jason Babin. A guy like Merriman would be nice, but unlikely he will fall. Other possibilities include Demarcus Ware or Dan Cody, but we would likely try to trade down in the first if our intention is to take one of those guys.

5. Cornerback: Dunta Robinson was a steal last year and he should have gone to the Pro Bowl. So we're set on the one side, but Aaron Glenn turns 33 this year so we need someone to step up once he's gone. Carlos Rogers would be an ideal selection at 13 since he is tall and fast and proved he was one of the top CBs in the country last year. He may even move in for Glenn this year.

6. Safety: Glenn Earl played well last year, but an upgrade there would be nice. Thomas Davis in the first could be taken since he proved he has the necessary speed to play the position. More than likely tho they'd grab a guy like Donte Nicholson in the 3rd.

7. Runningback: I don't like DD. If one of the top three fall (Benson, Brown, Williams), the texans may grab them, or use them as bait to trade down with.

Basically, we need to fill some guys on various spots of the roster. No big name is going to do it for us, so it's unlikely we would trade up in the draft. A trade down is a possibility tho, since we could use the extra picks. But with this draft class a partner to trade down with may not be available, so if they stay in their spot look for them to go BPA. Hope this helps.
AFD1717

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan's post was right on the money. All I would add are names like DE Jovan Haye maybe in the 3rd, and you have to look at Matt Jones.

I'd hate to speculate about players available for trade, but I can definately see our two first round picks being packaged for an additional second rounder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: