You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Please read and mull over before responding

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akintu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Please read and mull over before responding Reply with quote

I've really been feeling this heavy. I know we have a new coach and all that, but the Falcons have been Notorious for feeling a big need in free agency rather than the draft even when there are viable options in the draft, See Peerless Price and John Abraham....
because of this I seriously see Atlanta getting it's free saftey via free agency and not trying to fill the spot with Landry or Nelson, and I would either of them.
But for me all signs are pointing toward us aquiring Deon Grant or Ken Hamlin. I'm in the Hamlin wagon myself, but I'd really be happy with either. Plus this allows us the freedom to take care of other needs on the first day without feeling to pressed about the FS position.
With this is Gaines Adams or Jamal Anderson drop, we get them. If they don't we trade down and take Levi Brown. then in the second we fill which ever need we still have with Staley, Ugoh, or Harris for OT, or Johnson, Woodley, or any of the other DE's that would work for us...
this allows us to breathe easily, and if we trade Schaub for a 2nd and 3rd, we can get Michael Bush or Dwayne Bowe, kind of like the cherry on top. If we still wann get a safety, think about this, a bunch of good ones ALWAYS fall, we could be in the 3rd round with potentially our second pick and be able to decide between Weedle, Michael Johnson, Merriweather or who know who else...
thoughts comments concerns...?

Foster-A-Falcon: Roddy White
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bbllstr22

Location: Hell. The only place where the devil's advocate can reside.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree with you about us thinking about free agency more than the draft. I'm a fan of drafting, but I guess we want to win now instead of in three or so years. I would take Reggie Nelson instead of getting someone in the free agent market.
akintu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny, but seriously!!!! Ken Hamlin is only in his 4th year, we can win now and in the future with him at FS

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bbllstr22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... maybe. Is Hamlin even good?
akintu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look for urself
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395977

bbllstr22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not bad. So I would try to get him, but I wouldn't pay lots of money for him.
Bartkowski1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamlin's very solid... not a Pro Bowler yet but definitely one of the better FS's in the league. He was NFC Defensive player-of-the-month in Sept.

He was the 42nd pick in '03... I believe he was a 3-4 year starter at Arkansas. He'll only be 26 when the season starts plus the only time that he's missed in his career was due to the off-the-field skull fracture he received.

Having Hamlin & D Hall in the same secondary would make it a definite strength but I'm sure we'll have to pay to get him as there should be several suitors.
theatlfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am skeptical of us getting immediate help in FA. We will be a little cap-strapped and I don't see us reeling in a big name on a FS. I think that Petrino will want to revamp the O-Line and resigning the FB as priorities #1 and #2. After that, I am not sure if there will be enough money left to get a FS too. Also, Hamlin is a character concern. His skull fracture was late @ night at a club when he was supposed to be @ the 'Hawks training facility the next day.

Hacing said that, Meriweather in the 2nd is really starting to grow on me. I think I would like that over Landry in the 1st (although Nelson is still my #1). Yeah, he was hitting people with his helmet, but everyone on both squads was fighting. It's not like he was the only one cheap shotting, and he is young and dumb and...Floridian. Also, he hasn't had any off field issues, just that one on field issue that was obviously more than one player. In the Sr. Bowl Practices, they said he was a leader who like to pump up his teammates too. He is really growing on me.
Bartkowski1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theatlfan wrote:
I am skeptical of us getting immediate help in FA. We will be a little cap-strapped and I don't see us reeling in a big name on a FS. I think that Petrino will want to revamp the O-Line and resigning the FB as priorities #1 and #2. After that, I am not sure if there will be enough money left to get a FS too. Also, Hamlin is a character concern. His skull fracture was late @ night at a club when he was supposed to be @ the 'Hawks training facility the next day.

Hacing said that, Meriweather in the 2nd is really starting to grow on me. I think I would like that over Landry in the 1st (although Nelson is still my #1). Yeah, he was hitting people with his helmet, but everyone on both squads was fighting. It's not like he was the only one cheap shotting, and he is young and dumb and...Floridian. Also, he hasn't had any off field issues, just that one on field issue that was obviously more than one player. In the Sr. Bowl Practices, they said he was a leader who like to pump up his teammates too. He is really growing on me.

Hopefully, that street sign in his head cleared up his character concerns. And for what it's worth, I think he was out with his girlfriend and more-or-less got called out. But I wasn't there and I don't the guy, so he may be a problem.

I understand your thinking with Meriweather but I'm skeptical for two reasons. Despite his lack of size, he may be a more natural SS (similar to Crocker). Also, D Hall and Williams are the types to make big plays... but give up big plays as well. Plus, they aren't exactly Choir Boys. It may be better to get an experienced, solid true FS who could grow into a leader in the secondary (Milloy won't play forever). So even though Nelson probably has a higher ceiling, I can't help but think Landry would be a better fit to counter-balance our CB's aggressiveness.

Oh well, at least we have the picks to be able to discuss this. I'd hate to be a Redskins fan.
theatlfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting points on Landry vs Nelson. I must admit I've flipped flop on them more than once, and I might regurgitate your points in my argument for Landry next week (hope you don't mind Wink). Right now, I'm still Nelson though. He just plays such a beautiful deep centerfield, and can really lay the wood too. Landry definitely has a lot of pluses, having played under the tutelage of Saban as a DB is a huge plus from me as well. But I think that with Milloy in the box, we can go for the deep centerfielder over the all around safety.
AtlantaHokie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about going through FA to get Hamlin so we can be more flexible in the draft. I think Merriweather is ok, but why is everyone forgetting about Aaron Rouse. Yeah i'm being a little of a homie on this one, but I'm just telling everyone now... he's going to wow at the combine. He's going to be the biggest and possibly the fastest safety there. Plays very well against the run and throught his college years he played all of the secondary positions. He also apparently had a really nice interception this week at Senior Bowl practices that was turning some heads.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtlantaHokie wrote:
I agree about going through FA to get Hamlin so we can be more flexible in the draft. I think Merriweather is ok, but why is everyone forgetting about Aaron Rouse. Yeah i'm being a little of a homie on this one, but I'm just telling everyone now... he's going to wow at the combine. He's going to be the biggest and possibly the fastest safety there. Plays very well against the run and throught his college years he played all of the secondary positions. He also apparently had a really nice interception this week at Senior Bowl practices that was turning some heads.

Is he a SS or a FS though? He is big enough to be a freakish SS, but I wonder if his height would be a hindrance at FS.
Bartkowski1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theatlfan wrote:
AtlantaHokie wrote:

Is he a SS or a FS though? He is big enough to be a freakish SS, but I wonder if his height would be a hindrance at FS.

Rouse? He's definitely a SS and I read somewhere that he's so big he could become an OLB. His measurables are off the charts and he's the type who will make some money at the Combine. Someone will probably get him in the early 2nd (if not the 1st) and that may be too high for the Falcons to consider... especially if we're aiming for FS/DE/RB/OL in the first 2 rounds.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: