Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Atlanta Braves Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdfast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Official Atlanta Braves Thread Reply with quote

The Braves have just made a big deal to pick up Mike Gonzalez and though this leaves a hole at 1st base, as we learnt this season a hole at 1st is better than a hole in the bullpen. Wickman, Gonzalez and Rafael Soriano will match up with Cormier, Villerreal and Joey Devine to make perhaps the best bullpen in the majors. That will allow Smoltz to stay fresh, give Hudson support, let Hampton get his sea legs back and give support to James and Davies as they work into the rotation. Pitching should be a very strong part of this team.

The starting lineup should look something like this. LaRoche leaves a hole but there's still a lot of power there. We will score some runs.

2B Kelly Johnson
SS Edgar Renteria
3B Chipper Jones
CF Andruw Jones
RF Jeff Francoeur
C Brian McCann
1B Scott Thorman
LF Ryan Langerhans
P John Smoltz

Last edited by tdfast on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:20 am; edited 61 times in total
fraziafraze07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice....a new Braves thread. I think we will be very competitive this year and hopefully return to our winning ways. The pitching is looking very good this year....the only trouble spot I potentially see is Hampton. If he is unable to come back and perform, we will not have such a great 5 man rotation. With Hampton, it is a very nice 1-5. While James is going to be a monster IMO, and Davies is going to be solid, w/o Hampton, their would be no 5th guy besides maybe Cormier to step into the rotation. Other than that, the pitching looks great. If Wicky shows his age, then we have two good options to step in and close.

As for the lineup, I think we will miss LaRoche. I think he will continue to improve and be the best player on that Pirates team. Like you said, the better pitching will be worth it though. I think Thorman will be alright platooning with whoever, although we will miss Adam's glove there (not just his bat). I hear Johnson is a decent 2B and started his career there.....and Giles wasn't that good anyway, so we should be alright there. The rest of the lineup will be the same, and we scored a lot of runs last year, so i think we will be fine.

I know the season is a long way a way, but lets wish the team some good luck.

Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
tdfast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our three holes are 5th starter if Hampton isn't back, 1st base and LF. I know we're working on LF and we do have some young talent there. We just signed Craig Wilson to help in both spots but mostly 1st base so that should help. And Cormier is a decent #5 starter.
Cardiac Cats

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdfast wrote:
Our three holes are 5th starter if Hampton isn't back, 1st base and LF. I know we're working on LF and we do have some young talent there. We just signed Craig Wilson to help in both spots but mostly 1st base so that should help. And Cormier is a decent #5 starter.

Wilson will probably split time between 1st base and left field if there isn't another move.

It would be so helpful if the Braves could pick up a LF who could lead off the batting order.
tdfast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's the idea but I don't know if it can happen now. We'd have to deal Salty and maybe Davies or James to get the guy from Tampa. That's a lot and I don't know of anyone else out there.
Cardiac Cats

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdfast wrote:
I think that's the idea but I don't know if it can happen now. We'd have to deal Salty and maybe Davies or James to get the guy from Tampa. That's a lot and I don't know of anyone else out there.
I honestly think John Scheurholz is still looking around. I don't think the Baldelli thing is all out of the question but I would like to get him for not to bad of a price.
tdfast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Baldelli. He's touted as a great leadoff guy but he's never put of the stolen bases or great on base percentage you look for in a leadoff man. He's young and has the skills but we'd have to give up Salty and James or Davies to get him. That's a lot for someone who can probably do it. If he's done it, fine but he hasn't.
Bucspirate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldelli would fill in alright in CF since its near certain that Andruw Jones will be running out of town for more money after next season.
tdfast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was another selling point for getting him but that's still a lot to give up. Davies and Salty for this guy anyone?
fraziafraze07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdfast wrote:
That was another selling point for getting him but that's still a lot to give up. Davies and Salty for this guy anyone?

I don't know much about him. I wouldn't want to give up Davies.....he isn't as good as Chuck, but he is still part of our future rotation. Salty is expendable to me because of McCaan....unless Salty can change positions (1B maybe).

Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
Cardiac Cats

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraziafraze07 wrote:
tdfast wrote:

I don't know much about him. I wouldn't want to give up Davies.....he isn't as good as Chuck, but he is still part of our future rotation. Salty is expendable to me because of McCaan....unless Salty can change positions (1B maybe).
I think he either has history at 1st or he has been working on it lately or he will be. I think it may be a little bit of all three.
tdfast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know he was told he had to work at 1st base. And anyone with an internet connection can go on the Braves website and see that catcher isn't going to work for another 10-15 years. McCann is unreal! And now we have a hole at 1st base.
Twinblade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about time the braves been sold
tdfast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the budget will go up now?
Dingo18287

Most Valuable Poster

Location: With Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer at the Coffee Shop.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Braves being sold, are they still going to appear on TBS?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 1 of 100

Jump to: