Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

TOOL???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BatCountry!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems more atmospheric that past tool albums. The core style has not changed, but IMO I've seen a trend towards a softer style of music. Undertow is the closest to a pure metal album, aenima incorporated more slow bits but still maintained a very viscous edge with much of the lyrics and music , lateralus brought more selective chord bashing and more introspective lyrics, and this album seems to take lateralus' evolution a step further.

While the quality of music is still there, it frustrates me that they take 5 years to write 6 songs. Tracks 3, 6, 7, 9, and 11 are all basically soft filler tracks, which contributes to this atmospheric feeling that I'm talking about. But my real problem is this: undertow had 9/9 real tracks, aenima had 9/15, lateralus had 7/13, and now we get 10,000 days which has 6 for 11. Are they starting to hit writers block or something?

I still like the album, but I'm disturbed and the trends I'm seeing. Softer music AND fewer songs? Looks like I'm going to have to wait another 5 years to see if the pattern continues.

^^^ McNabbNo5

Sapere aude!
VikesGuy07

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although some of them sound very familiar, there are a number of spots where it sounds like a whole new direction for Tool though. The beginning of Jambi, I was not expecting it to go where it did or even sound like it does. Or when the bass comes in at the beginning of The Pot. Love that bass line. The last half or so of 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2) is really sweet, although it does remind me of Third Eye. The bassline though is just wicked. Intense.

I dunno if it will ever get to Lateralus/Aenema level for me, but it is still better than just about every other CD out there.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opiate and undertow are very solid creations
Quote:
Undertow is the closest to a pure metal album
while their heaviest, it still falls short of what you call a pure metal album. sure it's dark and has killer bass lines but there is no real signs of metal. there is a fine line between hard rock / alternative and metal. metal is defined as non conformity, and stretching standards which tool comes close but gets no cookie - they are too thought out and layered with perfectionism.

still some great music

WE ARE WHAT WE ARE
AND WHAT THAT IS REMAINS TO BE SEEN
JuggaLotus

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helter wrote:
opiate and undertow are very solid creations
Quote:
Undertow is the closest to a pure metal album
while their heaviest, it still falls short of what you call a pure metal album. sure it's dark and has killer bass lines but there is no real signs of metal. there is a fine line between hard rock / alternative and metal. metal is defined as non conformity, and stretching standards which tool comes close but gets no cookie - they are too thought out and layered with perfectionism.

still some great music

Somes times its hard to fit some bands into a label, I see it as hard rock being a circle and Metal being a square and Tool as a octagon. They dont fit right into either, but if you try hard enough you can make them fit into both.

Red Bryant-9 tack, 1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 FF, 2 FR, 3 qb Hits

Last edited by JuggaLotus on Sat May 06, 2006 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
VikesGuy07

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BatCountry! wrote:
It seems more atmospheric that past tool albums. The core style has not changed, but IMO I've seen a trend towards a softer style of music. Undertow is the closest to a pure metal album, aenima incorporated more slow bits but still maintained a very viscous edge with much of the lyrics and music , lateralus brought more selective chord bashing and more introspective lyrics, and this album seems to take lateralus' evolution a step further.

While the quality of music is still there, it frustrates me that they take 5 years to write 6 songs. Tracks 3, 6, 7, 9, and 11 are all basically soft filler tracks, which contributes to this atmospheric feeling that I'm talking about. But my real problem is this: undertow had 9/9 real tracks, aenima had 9/15, lateralus had 7/13, and now we get 10,000 days which has 6 for 11. Are they starting to hit writers block or something?

I still like the album, but I'm disturbed and the trends I'm seeing. Softer music AND fewer songs? Looks like I'm going to have to wait another 5 years to see if the pattern continues.

Yes, you can argue that there are less "songs" on the album, but look at the lengths of the songs too.

7:06, 7:28, 11:13, 6:21, 11:11, and 8:55, and those are the tracks you call the only "songs".

I personally see track 3 and 9 also as "songs" but I can see how you wouldn't. They are definitely moody and there to help create the mood, but I have a problem calling them "filler" tracks because A) They are actualy music, it isn't random crap or silence or anything. They are indeed songs, and B) They are long. At 6:11 and 7:21 respectively, if they fill up that much time with music, which they do, then they are songs. They do make sense musically, it isn't just random crap. As a whole CD, listening to it straight through, it all makes sense and doens't sound like any filler. But as stand alone songs, they don't make too much sense.

Also, Lost Keys (Blame Hofman) I would call an interlude, not filler, but an interlude. And it does a great job of setting up Rosetta Stoned.

All of these non "songs" aren't in the running to be their next single, but they are songs I think.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're just getting into metal here are a few suggestions for you...

Soulfly-primative (Max is god, check out any soulfly album or older sepultura album)
American Head Charge-the war of art
Hed P.E.- self titled or broke-It's just filthy metal!
Lamb of God-ashes of the wake
Meshuggah-any album
Mushroomhead-self titled, superbuick or the big label release XX (not XXIII-CRAP!)

Of course anybody getting into metal should always start with Slayer! Check out reign in blood.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: