Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Volunteer work
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
packerfan466230

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Volunteer work Reply with quote

I'm in high school and volunteer work is really important. I volunteer at a hospital, but I want to expand my "play ground."
Just looking for some tips and where you guys volunteer, not work.

=
NyViKiNg4 wrote:
You guys are lames man.

NyViKiNg4 wrote:
Focker out.
Dingo18287

Most Valuable Poster

Location: With Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer at the Coffee Shop.
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont work at a retirement home! I did that, yes it is GREAT to help out the senior citizens, but it might be the most boringest place on earth. Read to the older gentlemen, they dont even pay attention. Anyway, I am sure they're plenty of places to volunteer near you. The Hospital sounds enteresting.

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Library.

There may also be a service club on your school campus. Find out if there is and check it out.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Volunteer work Reply with quote

packerfan466230 wrote:
I'm in high school and volunteer work is really important.

plan on going to college? volunteer work and community involvement has become one of the biggest things that is examined on students' application resumes now.

the most important thing is to find something you really enjoy and stick with it. it's more important to college admission people that you did one thing for 1 1/2 years than three things for 6 months each.

and anything to do with mentoring will light up the cherries big time.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
oaktownOG

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I volunteer atleast once a month down at the homeless shelter in South Phoenix which is the area I grew up in and I either hand out meals, clothes, or toiletries that I bring to donate and I always end up reading to the kids because I know a few of them sadly.

If you're looking for just something that's easy to set up try handing out meals in a homeless shelter or retirement home. I prefer to work with kids though I don't know about you.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My youngest son is 14 and he has aspirations of going to Div 1 school... either Syracuse or Maryland and he needs tons of service hours for his resume. So he found something he really loves and gives him tons of hours - coaching youth football. He played in a youth league for eight years and now goes back as a volunteer assistant coach and works with the little 6-7 year old guys. What better way to get service hours than to do something you like and teach little guys the game of football at the same time. You should look into your local pee-wee or pop warner league and see if they are looking for some help.

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeless shelters are grat places to volunteer at. It's really sad, but it makes you appreciate what you've got. Also, working with kids at a hospital is a really good thing to do. Forget college-these things are great things to do. When i was younger, I worked at homeless shelters, animal shelters, and in the hospital. Today, i still try and head over to one of those places whenever I get a chance.
Redskins

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRRLacher wrote:
My youngest son is 14 and he has aspirations of going to Div 1 school... either Syracuse or Maryland and he needs tons of service hours for his resume. So he found something he really loves and gives him tons of hours - coaching youth football. He played in a youth league for eight years and now goes back as a volunteer assistant coach and works with the little 6-7 year old guys. What better way to get service hours than to do something you like and teach little guys the game of football at the same time. You should look into your local pee-wee or pop warner league and see if they are looking for some help.

Wow, you are old aren't you Grr! Very Happy

I agree with what you say though, I want to be a tennis coach and I help my coach Tuesdays and Saturdays for about 6 hours in total for no pay (although that could change soon) its something I enjoy doing and while I'm still young I will do it for nothing because it gives me something to do and I enjoy doing it. Not only that but I help with some of the better players and then people as young as 4. I work with people who can hit with me for about 50 strokes and some who are the same age who couldn't hit the ball if it was the size of Texas.

It's great fun and you should do something you want to do so it doesn't seem like a chore.

RIP Sean Taylor
rabbisson

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach little kids, and I'm helping to build a playground for my community service.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
theJ

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grr hit it on the nose. If you love sports, there is no better volunteer job than getting together some local kids and putting together a YMCA-team.

I volunteered for a Y-team, and it was great. I'm not sure what all sports they do, but i helped out with a basketball team. Lots of fun, and very rewarding.

Or if that's not really an option, then there is bound to be some sort of young baseball team or something that you can help out with.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
cew28315039

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 16 and at age 13 i decided that if i wanted to go to a good college i would need to do some voluteer work so i looked around and found one.

what i do is train service dogs and have been doing it for 3 years i have accumulated 300 hours of volunteer work i will usually go there once a week to help out

so i think that i will be all set in about 2 years to go to college with aroud 6-800 hours of work

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if your school has a "Key Club" it popping up in HS's all over the place. If you don't, consider making one. It is a CS club. I am getting EMT training this summer (I'm counting it as a class: 8:30-4:30 M-F then come home and study, 3.5 weeks) then am going to volunteer with the EMT's. Its quite a time commitment but I enjoyed the shadowing I did so I would recommend it. Make sure your local EMS has a voluteer program for 14 year olds though (I'm 16).

Stone65 with the sig!
sanfranraidersfan

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i horseback ride, so i volunteer at the stables, and help people and stuff, i also teach hebrew to kids at religous school

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volunteer to be a basketball coach for some 2nd graders in an intramural league. It's easy enough and you could probaly bring a friend.

Thanks EAtotheGLE
packerfan466230

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRRLacher wrote:

I'm gonna really check that out.
I want to be a doctor for a professional or collegiant football team when I grow up and I think this would help mix it in together.
I appreciate it.

=
NyViKiNg4 wrote:
You guys are lames man.

NyViKiNg4 wrote:
Focker out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: