Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
[You want something that'll really make you smile the whole time you drink it, if you can find it (I realize I'm spoiled in that for a while it was only every Bristol Farms that I could find it at, now it's like every other Ralphs), lay your hands on a Stone Vertical Epic. Sweet symphony!

Acquired! It's the 08/08/08 one. And no, I'm not going to store it until 12/31/12. I just . . . I can't. It's tasty, like an aggressively hopped tripel. Very interesting.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
[You want something that'll really make you smile the whole time you drink it, if you can find it (I realize I'm spoiled in that for a while it was only every Bristol Farms that I could find it at, now it's like every other Ralphs), lay your hands on a Stone Vertical Epic. Sweet symphony!

Acquired! It's the 08/08/08 one. And no, I'm not going to store it until 12/31/12. I just . . . I can't. It's tasty, like an aggressively hopped tripel. Very interesting.

Reading the description sounds interesting. I'll definitely have to find this one.

My parents were nice enough to grab me a 12 pack of Firestone Double Barrel Ale when they brought my kids home from CA, after borrowing them for most of the summer. It's always good to get beer that's not sold in the region. I've downed most of it, and I'll be reviewing it tonight.

Anybody making the trip to the GABF this year? I'll be going with some guys from work. We're trying to map out our plan of attack since there's so many breweries that will be there. Trying to figure out if we should pick out the best breweries, and hit as many as we can, and drinking what they have to offer, or going by style, and hitting the breweries with the best in each category. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried a few new beers this week.

1. Dog Fish Head 90 minute IPA- Probably the best beer I have ever had. It was amazing. It was on sale for 8 bucks so I couldnt pass up that opportunity. I had 1 and felt tipsey due to the 9% alcohol content and I drank it rather fast.

2. Stone's IPA- very good beer. Was rough though because I drank it right after the 90 minute IPA. Definitely was not as good but still a very good beer. I will gladly buy this beer again

3. Magic Hats Odd Notion (summer brew)- one of the worst if not the worst beer I have ever had. The ginger was terrible and thats all I could taste. I could not finish it. I will never try this one again. I know its different every season though.

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
animaltested

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my new place has a international beer market a block away. It literally has like 15-20 brands of beer from just about every major country you can think off. My first round I got....

O.K Beer: Okocim - From Poland
Grolsch - From Holland

I liked both of them quite a bit. The Grolsch had a nice crisp flavor, but honestly, wasnt too far of a cry from a Heiniken. I really liked the O.K. Never been a huge fan of Pale, but this one was really nice.

Quote:
If you don't care for obscenity, you don't care for the truth; if you don't care for the truth, watch how you vote.
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me Grolsch is just a lesser Heineken. They're almost the same down to the packaging. Not really a fan.

Sig By Mike23md

Adopt A Skin

Leonard Hankerson
Santana Moss
Brandon Meriweather
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
To me Grolsch is just a lesser Heineken. They're almost the same down to the packaging. Not really a fan.

I have yet to see Heineken come in swingtop bottles:

And I've never actually had a Grolsch before, so I don't know what to compare it to. But if it's a "lesser Heineken," it must be awful. I just hate ubiquitous "lagers" that have no other description to them. Anytime a beer is just called "premium lager," or "lager beer," it's pretty much guaranteed to be garbage with very few exceptions. The fact that it comes in a green bottle doesn't help either, because that basically just means it's skunky. I can't for the life of me figure out why breweries continue to use bottles that aren't brown. It just doesn't make sense.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

texans_uk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:

To be quite honest, a lot of standard mainland European lagers taste very similar.

Just something I was discussing with a friend earlier, the only lager I won't drink is standard draft Stella.

I like Stella 4, and Stella bottled, but out of a can or pipe the stuff is rancid.

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
Jeezy Fanatic wrote:

To be quite honest, a lot of standard mainland European lagers taste very similar.

Just something I was discussing with a friend earlier, the only lager I won't drink is standard draft Stella.

I like Stella 4, and Stella bottled, but out of a can or pipe the stuff is rancid.

According to my friend, "it tastes like farts."

MrDrew wrote:

Waldo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot, got the first 2010 Oktoberfest of the season today. Becks.

Regular Becks kinda sucks, but their Oktoberfest is quite good.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Woot, got the first 2010 Oktoberfest of the season today. Becks.

Regular Becks kinda sucks, but their Oktoberfest is quite good.

I saw some of that at the store. I just got done drinking the bastardized Oktoberfest I brewed, though, so I can wait until Sam's and Bell's comes out with theirs.

MrDrew wrote:

The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
I have tried a few new beers this week.

1. Dog Fish Head 90 minute IPA- Probably the best beer I have ever had. It was amazing. It was on sale for 8 bucks so I couldnt pass up that opportunity. I had 1 and felt tipsey due to the 9% alcohol content and I drank it rather fast.

2. Stone's IPA- very good beer. Was rough though because I drank it right after the 90 minute IPA. Definitely was not as good but still a very good beer. I will gladly buy this beer again

3. Magic Hats Odd Notion (summer brew)- one of the worst if not the worst beer I have ever had. The ginger was terrible and thats all I could taste. I could not finish it. I will never try this one again. I know its different every season though.

It is a truly fantastic beer. Dog Fish Head as a brewery has yet to disappoint me really. Them as exhibitors is one of the reasons I really look forward to Stone Brewery's Anniversary Brewfest (which coincidentally is in two weeks!).

In my searches, I continue to find good beers from Oregon.

Had Beer Valley Brewing Co.'s Highway to Ale Barley Wine... really just a gem of a beer. The kind of aroma that you could just sit there and sniff all night and be perfectly content. Good cloudy amber color (yes... though still a barley wine). Nice malt to it too which is generally rarer among BW's, but this is one I'd recommend as a good introductory/segue-way brew for those who haven't yet developed a taste for Barley Wine Ales. I'm definitely going to have to give more BVBC brews a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only drink one beer: That would be Guinness. And not out of the bottle either, only out of the tap. Best damn beer around. And it's true what they say, you either love it or hate it. There are no casual Guinness drinkers.

That's all I wanted to say. Thanks for letting me stop by. Mr. Green

(Actually, one quick note, there is a beer here in Israel that EVERYONE drinks, they call it Goldstar. I personally found it pretty bad, but everyone here loves it, as do my non-Israel friends. Maybe I'm a loner in that regard, but I just didn't like it)
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chipperboy1 wrote:
I only drink one beer: That would be Guinness. And not out of the bottle either, only out of the tap. Best damn beer around. And it's true what they say, you either love it or hate it. There are no casual Guinness drinkers.

(Actually, one quick note, there is a beer here in Israel that EVERYONE drinks, they call it Goldstar. I personally found it pretty bad, but everyone here loves it, as do my non-Israel friends. Maybe I'm a loner in that regard, but I just didn't like it)

I'm a casual Guinness drinker. I wouldn't buy it at the store, but I drink it at bars that don't have a good selection.

Never had Goldstar. I see it gets "meh" reviews though. It's still probably better than the stuff they usually serve over here.

MrDrew wrote:

The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
chipperboy1 wrote:

I'm a casual Guinness drinker. I wouldn't buy it at the store, but I drink it at bars that don't have a good selection.

Never had Goldstar. I see it gets "meh" reviews though. It's still probably better than the stuff they usually serve over here.

Very few pubs (I don't even trust bartenders as regular bars anymore, so it's not even worth mentioning those) can give a proper Guinness pour around here, so I tend to just stick with the cheap stuff at bars that don't have good selection.

Also, the Guinness you get in the States is [inappropriate/removed] compared to the Guinness you get in Ireland (and not just from the St. James Gate)... hell, from Europe period. It's kind of like trying to appreciate chopped sirloin after having a beautifully dry-aged rib-eye.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harviestoun Old Engine Oil

If you aren't the biggest fan of Guinness because it is "too heavy" and "like a meal"....this beer is not for you.

The brewers call this beer a Black Ale, stylistically it is much more similar to a Porter than a Stout. It is not especially strong beer, only being 6.0% ABV. However as advertised, it is thick and heavy beer. There are a lot of residual unfermentables in this beer. Overall the carbonation is low, appropriate for the style. The brewers obviously have a catchy name, and the name does describe the bottle contents well. The name does a good job drawing in the target audience for the beer, while scaring away those that might not enjoy it as much.

Overall for the style it is highly hopped, with notable flavor hops. Since the flavor of the grain is so strong, it is not overpowering. Hops linger on the palette for a long time. This beer really hits it out of the park with its grain makeup. The flavors are complex and linger. Notes of vanilla, chocolate, and black malt, with hints of roasted malt. A sweet malt comes to the fore from time to time.

This beer really goes down well, it is very easy drinking. It is thick and heavy, but it is also very flavorful and not overly alcoholic, it isn't in the least bit warming. It is an expensive beer and plays the part of a special occasion beer, but a bottle here and there on special occasions is definitely worth it. If you like Porters/Stouts, this beer is definitely worth a try. The flavors are strong, and it is highly hopped for the style, but everything is well balanced.

Grade: 8.3

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 74 of 100

Jump to: