Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

want some expert opinions !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianlewis16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: want some expert opinions !! Reply with quote

duno if anyone has been checking on JCool's Well run mock draft in 'Mock Drafts' section but i just won the job of eagles GM and i just want some opinions from some fellow Eagle experts on what i should do !! im thinking ill try and trade up if DJ slips out the top 10 but thats unlikely. im also thinkin the list of needs goes OLB, DE, Oline,RB !! anyone thinking different ive only got a few days. thanks

Blahman88 wrote:
I control the EBB.......except Ian, no body can control him
SIERK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the point of this particular draft? Is it to be as close to what the Eagles will do as possible... or is it to make what you believe are the best selections? Those, to me, are different things.

Take the Eagles draft history. Linebackers are hardly ever drafted. Our depth chart at MLB is solid (Trotter, Labinjo), decent at WLB (Adams, Simoneau), and middling at SLB (Jones, Short/Richmond). I'm not sure that a decent prospect at LB necessarily is "needed" -- at least that's what I think the Eagles brass are thinking.

We do NOT need a highly ranked: CB, QB, or S, I think. Anything else might be fair game. Personally, I'd love to make a run for Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards. I doubt that the Eagles go for that, however.

I don't see the regime going for any of the top 3 RBs. I do see them going DL -- DT and DE in 1st 2 picks is likely.

Here's what I might do (no particular order of preference):
#31 + #77 for low 20's (before Jets pick) -- grab Heath Miller if available
#31 + #35 + FredEx to the Titans for #6 -- Braylon/Mike Williams (note: I don't think there is much of a snowball's chance for this one)

Well, okay, that wasn't a lot of ideas. Look over the DTs... I could see Castillo with one of our 2 2nd rounders. Especially with Simon, Grasmanis, and Hollis as potential short-timers, that is probably our least-settled unit.
JBlovethosebirds

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIERK.
you are truly a person of insight when you say,

"What is the point of this particular draft? Is it to be as close to what the Eagles will do as possible... or is it to make what you believe are the best selections? Those, to me, are different things."

I have been trying to tell the guys this for a while !

LB = no way until the later rounds for the PSquad

Eagles will target DE, OT, WR, RB, TE

TE moves up if Smith back is a real problem.

BPA = best player available

I think, not the eagles, will use their draft picks like this.
No value in the draft to move up early but later is good.

31 = used for DE or OT or WR = BPA
35 = used for DE or OT or WR = BPA
50 = 77 + 94 + 146 + 167 = RB or TE
57 = 63 + 132 = RB or TE
245 = BPA

Still have these picks to find the sleepers which these
picks can not be traded
173 [5th rd], 211 [6th rd], 247 [7th rd], 252 [7th rd]

Above assumes eagles can find a trading partner
OnTheWayToDetroit06

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, they see their needs as:
1. DE
2. OL (to replace Runyan when he leaves, G if Andrews moves out to T)
3. HB
4. LB
5. TE

Also, I'd like to see them get a WR but young WRs don't seem to do well in thier system. And I can't see them going HB, WR, or LB with either of their first two picks just because of the way they value those positions.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the Eagles never draft LB's early.... yet Gardner and Caver were both second round picks. Just because they both sucked no reason to forget them.

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Al Davis is died
wynalda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIERK wrote:
What is the point of this particular draft? Is it to be as close to what the Eagles will do as possible... or is it to make what you believe are the best selections? Those, to me, are different things.

Take the Eagles draft history. Linebackers are hardly ever drafted. Our depth chart at MLB is solid (Trotter, Labinjo), decent at WLB (Adams, Simoneau), and middling at SLB (Jones, Short/Richmond). I'm not sure that a decent prospect at LB necessarily is "needed" -- at least that's what I think the Eagles brass are thinking.

We do NOT need a highly ranked: CB, QB, or S, I think. Anything else might be fair game. Personally, I'd love to make a run for Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards. I doubt that the Eagles go for that, however.

I don't see the regime going for any of the top 3 RBs. I do see them going DL -- DT and DE in 1st 2 picks is likely.

Here's what I might do (no particular order of preference):
#31 + #77 for low 20's (before Jets pick) -- grab Heath Miller if available
#31 + #35 + FredEx to the Titans for #6 -- Braylon/Mike Williams (note: I don't think there is much of a snowball's chance for this one)

Well, okay, that wasn't a lot of ideas. Look over the DTs... I could see Castillo with one of our 2 2nd rounders. Especially with Simon, Grasmanis, and Hollis as potential short-timers, that is probably our least-settled unit.
............. good stuff here....yes trade up but do not give up what those inflated trade values charts project.
wynalda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBlovethosebirds wrote:
SIERK.
you are truly a person of insight when you say,

"What is the point of this particular draft? Is it to be as close to what the Eagles will do as possible... or is it to make what you believe are the best selections? Those, to me, are different things."

I have been trying to tell the guys this for a while !

LB = no way until the later rounds for the PSquad

Eagles will target DE, OT, WR, RB, TE

TE moves up if Smith back is a real problem.

BPA = best player available

I think, not the eagles, will use their draft picks like this.
No value in the draft to move up early but later is good.

31 = used for DE or OT or WR = BPA
35 = used for DE or OT or WR = BPA
50 = 77 + 94 + 146 + 167 = RB or TE
57 = 63 + 132 = RB or TE
245 = BPA

Still have these picks to find the sleepers which these
picks can not be traded
173 [5th rd], 211 [6th rd], 247 [7th rd], 252 [7th rd]

Above assumes eagles can find a trading partner
good stuff here too yes trade up
JBlovethosebirds

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ninjapirate,
Under the topic --> " Is Andy Reed a good drafter ? "
You said,
" Tom Modrak was in charge of players and drafting until the 2002 season*. So you can't count the McNabb, Simon and Freddie years for or againt Reid."

Now you said,
" Yeah the Eagles never draft LB's early.... yet Gardner and Caver were both second round picks. Just because they both sucked no reason to forget them."

You got to stop switching the facts to help your point of view !

Since 2002 & AR took over, the eagles have draft LB like this.
2002 = Tyreo Harrison at 198 pick; 2003 = Zero; 2004 = Zero
They did use FA as a means to get LBs.
I think Johnson likes vets and does not play rookies so
They tend to use FA at a reasonable price or low round draftees
and let the rookies/UDFA develop on the PSquad.

So, I say again " the eagles will not draft a LB the 1st day "
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Eagles very few needs happens to be WLB this year, also Reid has been talking about wanting to go BPA with this team. I can see them taking a linebacker on day 1 this year. They have 5 picks and no 5 needs greater than LB.

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Al Davis is died
eagles101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fs to back upbrian
SIERK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One of the Eagles very few needs happens to be WLB this year, also Reid has been talking about wanting to go BPA with this team. I can see them taking a linebacker on day 1 this year.

The Eagles generally carry 6 LBs, a starter and a backup at each position. At WLB, the two guys are Adams and Simoneau. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think that's a strong combo. Mark was overmatched at MLB, but when he's healthy he's a fine WLB.

With Adams emerging last year, I think WLB is actually one of our stronger positions coming into this year. Since we carry 2 LBs at each position, it is harder to keep a 3rd WLB on the roster for the future (i.e. if Adams leaves after the year).

I think TE, DT, DE, S are all more pressing needs than WLB, especially with the (lack of) emphasis JJ has on the linebackers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: