Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Sig courtesy of mack.
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer some of these, but it's going to take while. These are very difficult to answer off the cuff since the Bills have a whole new coaching staff and are going to be running new schemes. Some of the questions are irrelevant at this point. How the Bills have done in the past in regards to the draft, trades and free agency don't matter as much with a new GM and a new coaching staff. I think the question that will be the most difficult to answer is the last one, haha. I'll see if I can put some of my own thoughts together for these questions by the end of the weekend.

^Jamison.
Where else would you rather be than right here, right now?
When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us
TommyC376

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What will it take for you to win a championship?

A Time machine back to January 27, 1991, and move the uprights slightly to the right. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb_gobills wrote:
I can answer some of these, but it's going to take while. These are very difficult to answer off the cuff since the Bills have a whole new coaching staff and are going to be running new schemes. Some of the questions are irrelevant at this point. How the Bills have done in the past in regards to the draft, trades and free agency don't matter as much with a new GM and a new coaching staff. I think the question that will be the most difficult to answer is the last one, haha. I'll see if I can put some of my own thoughts together for these questions by the end of the weekend.

Really appreciate it JB - I went ahead and did the entire questionaire for the Cowboys just to see what it was like. I can understand the difficulty regarding new GM and new staff, but any help you can provide would be very useful Very Happy

Sig courtesy of mack.
BigBillsFan13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
Quote:

A Time machine back to January 27, 1991, and move the uprights slightly to the right. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Applause Applause Applause
BBF doesn't get run over by cars, cars get run over by BBF
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody felt like helping me out? Sad

Sig courtesy of mack.
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Nobody felt like helping me out? Sad

Oh crap - I'm sorry MH, I forgot all about this!

^Jamison.
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have something for you by tonight MH.

^Jamison.
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Chan Gailey comes to the Buffalo Bills with thirty-five years of coaching experience between college and the pros. Gailey met the criteria of new General Manager Buddy Nix by having offensive coaching experience, being a good teacher and leader, and being a someone who really knows football and football players. Gailey tends to have run oriented offenses and has been known for being able to get offenses to produce with less heralded quarterbacks. One of his philosophies is to surround his players with good teachers and communicators. This was one of the most important criteria for Gailey when it came to choosing his coaching staff.

Many people remember Gailey for his short stint as the Dallas Cowboys head coach. However, not many people realize that he has been a winner at nearly everything he has done:

College assistant coach (9 seasons): 55-44-2
College Head Coach (9 seasons): 68-43
World League Head Coach (2 seasons): 12-7-1
NFL assistant record – regular season (13 seasons): 124-82-1
NFL assistant record – postseason: 12-9
NFL Head Coach record – regular season (2 seasons): 18-14
NFL Head Coach record – postseason: 0-2

Career Total (35 seasons): 289-201-4

MaddHatter wrote:
Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Gailey has said that he plans on running the offense and taking on the majority of the responsibilities of offensive coordinator. He stated that eventually he will transition those duties to a full-time coordinator but for the time being he is going to call the shots. Gailey hired Curtis Modkins to be the offensive coordinator and running backs coach. It is expected that Modkins will help Gailey with the overall offense, but will concentrate mainly on the running game. Modkins spent 2009 as the running backs coach for Arizona and 2008 with the Chiefs in the same capacity.

MaddHatter wrote:
What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

The details of Buffalo’s offensive scheme are unknown at this point. Gailey is quoted as saying, “We don't have a name for our offense. We're not East this, West this, North this, South this. We're going to do whatever it takes to move the football, score touchdowns and if it has to adjust because we have players that are better suited for one thing than another then we're going to do that.” Gailey will base much of the offense off of who is on the roster. One thing is for certain, he will probably better utilize the duo of Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch than his predecessors did.

MaddHatter wrote:
Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

George Edwards was hired as the new Defensive Coordinator. He has been coaching in the NFL for twelve years and he spent the last five with the Miami Dolphins. He is changing the Bills defense to a 3-4 scheme. The Bills have used a 3-4 alignment in their past, from 1979 through 2000. From the “Bermuda Triangle” in the early 80’s to Bruce Smith and company in the 90’s, the Bills have historically had a lot of success with the alignment. Edwards has not elaborated on the defensive scheme by saying, “We are not going to give anything away about exactly what we will do, but personnel will dictate what you can and what you can’t do. As far as the initial alignment, the 3-4 is what we will start off with and we will adjust from there.”

MaddHatter wrote:
What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

The front seven will be in a 3-4 alignment. There has been no information given in regards to the details of the scheme for the front seven or for the secondary.

MaddHatter wrote:
When drafting, how important is character?

Character has always been important when drafting or bringing in free agents for the Bills, as is the case for most teams. The General Manager and coaching staff will focus on bringing in players who have good football knowledge and have the experience necessary to be able to make contributions right away.

MaddHatter wrote:
During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

The Bills have been somewhat active during the draft in regards to trades. During the 2002 draft the Bills traded their first round pick in 2003 to acquire Drew Bledsoe. In 2004 the Bills moved to the bottom of the first to select J.P. Losman. In 2006 the Bills again moved up to the bottom of the first to select John McCargo. However, based on the new General Manager and new coaching staff it does not seem likely that the Bills will try to move up during the draft. The Bills have a lot of holes to fill, especially with a new defensive alignment. They are probably not going to be willing to give up draft picks in order to move up in the draft.

MaddHatter wrote:
Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer

The biggest up and comers on the roster are Buffalo’s first three draft selections from last year. Offensive linemen Eric Wood and Andy Levitre, and safety Jairus Byrd. Levitre started all sixteen games and Wood started ten before suffering a devastating injury. Byrd was a rookie sensation with his nine interceptions, including eight in a four-week period. Injuries caught up with Byrd towards the end of the season.

James Hardy and/or Steve Johnson are possible future starters that are currently on the roster. The Bills have not chosen to resign free agent receivers Terrell Owens and Josh Reed. Hardy and Johnson will each be entering their third season and they will be given plenty of opportunities to prove themselves.

The player that sticks out the most for someone who shouldn’t be starting is left tackle Demetrius Bell. He had a lot of promise but was still too raw to be thrown to wolves like he was.

Almost everyone on the roster is probably tradable seeing as how the Bills have a brand new coaching staff. However, I don’t see them making too many moves. Marshawn Lynch is likely to stay as I’m sure Gailey and Modkins can’t wait to use him and Jackson together. Kyle Williams is a possibility since he does not really fit in the new defensive alignment. However, he is a good enough football player where Gailey might opt to keep him. There have also been rumors involving Donte Whitner. Whitner will likely be kept unless the Bills can hold on to restricted free agent George Wilson and they resign free agent Bryan Scott. Even at that Whitner still has one more year on his rookie contract and good cheap players are hard to come by. Aaron Schobel is debating retirement.

The player most likely to be a lifer? I’m guessing Lee Evans.

MaddHatter wrote:
During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

In 2008 the Bills traded for Marcus Stroud. As noted earlier, they traded for Bledsoe in 2002. I’m drawing a blank if there were any others recently, maybe someone can help me out.

MaddHatter wrote:
What has been the downfall of your team recently?

The biggest downfall on offense is quite simply and obviously their lack of scoring. The offensive line fell apart last season and the quarterback play was subpar. The coaching has also been poor. On defense the main problem has been stopping the run.

MaddHatter wrote:
Where are your largest holes this offseason?

Left tackle, nose tackle, quarterback and linebacker. Wide receiver and offensive line depth are also needs.

MaddHatter wrote:
What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

Secondary and running back.

MaddHatter wrote:

It’s going to take 2-3 years of good drafting and good coaching.

Let me know if you need elaboration on anything. Here is Buffalo’s current roster as of 3/2/10:

QB - Ryan Fitzpatrick / Trent Edwards / Brian Brohm
RB - Fred Jackson / Marshawn Lynch
FB - Corey McIntyre

Z-WR - Lee Evans
X-WR - James Hardy
Y-WR - Roscoe Parrish (PR) / Steve Johnson
TE - Shawn Nelson

LT - Demetrius Bell / Andre Ramsey
LG - Andy Levitre
C - Geoff Hangartner
RG - Eric Wood
RT - Kirk Chambers / Jamon Meredith / Nick Hennessey / Jason Watkins

RDE - Marcus Stroud / Chris Kelsay / Corey Mace
NT - Kyle Williams / Marlon Favorite / Lonnie Harvey / Rashaad Duncan
LDE - Spencer Johnson / John McCargo

SOLB - Aaron Schobel / Chris Ellis
SILB - Kawika Mitchell / Josh Stamer
WILB - Paul Posluszny / Nic Harris / Ryan Manalac
WOLB - Aaron Maybin

RCB - Leodis McKelvin (KR) / Reggie Corner / Lydell Sargeant
LCB - Terrence McGee / Drayton Florence / Ellis Lankster
SS - Donte Whitner
FS - Jairus Byrd

K - Rian Lindell
P/H - Brian Moorman
LS - Garrison Sanborn

Unrestricted Free Agents
WR - Terrell Owens - will not be re-signed
WR - Josh Reed - will not be re-signed
OG/C - Seth McKinney
OG - Kendall Simmons
DE - Ryan Denney - will not be re-signed
LB - Chris Draft
LB/SS - Bryan Scott
FS - Todd Johnson

Restricted Free Agents
QB - Gibran Hamdan
TE - Derek Schouman
TE - Joe Klopfenstein
OT - Jonathan Scott
OG - Richie Incoginto
LB - Keith Ellison
CB - Ashton Youboty
FS - George Wilson

Exclusive-Rights Free Agents
RB - Justice Hairston
TE - Jonathan Stupar
C/G - Christian Gaddis
LB/S - Jon Corto
LB - Marcus Buggs
CB - Cary Harris

^Jamison.
mob16151

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could add anotherbiggest downfall to the list it would be this. Inability to stay healthy.

Thanks to QuinneyluvsNFL for the sig.
Bills28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice write up JB. I think you covered it all very well. If I had to add anything i'd say our inability or unwillingness to keep talent here, or bring in FA. Winfield and Fletcher are two I hated to see go.

(Thanks NickChowaniec)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: