Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Sig courtesy of mack.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, love the question Madd. Love that you're into doing this much research, it's refreshing. I'm gonna answer them all in great detail, just have to prepare my answer well first.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Ken Whisenhunt, he is a soft spoken, leader. He gets the most out of his players though his words and his actions. He also calls the plays for our team. Tendencies as a Head Coach are tough to discern, but as a playcaller he can get conservative with a lead in the 2nd half, going away from what works. He likes to try and set up the run with the pass. Uses Tight-Ends almost primarily as blockers.

MaddHatter wrote:
Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

We do not have an OC perse, but Russ Grimm is the almost defacto OC. He is a power guy, build from the front, and things will come from there. He loves big guys on the OL, if you play Tackle or Guard, you are not going to get drafted if you weight less than 315. We like to utilize our weapons. We will run out of many formations, and pass mostly out of the shotgun...More to come on this later.

Russ Grimm has a son also on the Cardinals Coaching Staff

MaddHatter wrote:
What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Run Game is a power game, get downhill as fast as possible. Passing game is get it to the open man. We have weapons, Q, Fitz, Breaston, Doucet. Get it to the open man. Blocking we prefer a man blocking scheme hat on a hat and drive your man off the ball. It is unique in that it is a power-spread offense. Seems very contradictory. We may see a change with the change at QB.

MaddHatter wrote:
Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

Billy Davis is a little know coach. He likes to blitz, and blitz a lot, but he gets conservative at the worst times. He created huge improvements on the 3rd down defense of this team this season, but we still struggled in the last 2 minutes of halves and games due to conservative play calling.

MaddHatter wrote:
What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

3-4 base front, with a lot of nickel that utilizes 3 safeties. Blitz placakges with Cover 1 and Cover 3 being the most called coverages Adrian Wilson is usually in a shorter zone or in man.

MaddHatter wrote:
When drafting, how important is character?

Very important, if a guy has an arrest, or has been a problem to his team, do not expect him to be on the Cardinals.

MaddHatter wrote:
During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

Whis has only made 1 trade in the past, trading up for Alan Branch, I guess it means if he sees big value he will not be afraid to go for it.

MaddHatter wrote:
Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

Up and Comers, Rashad Johnson, Greg Toler, Brandon Keith. Keith should start this season at RT, Toler will see more snaps possibly as a nickelback and Johnson is the #3 safety and could see increased snaps this season...Steve Breaston will start in the future as will Will Davis at OLB. Cody Brown our 2nd round pick from 09 was on IR all season, will be intresting to watch his development at OLB.

I think many might say the Bryant McFadden should not be starting, but at lot of his problems came from being put in single coverage with no pass rush, any CB will struggle with that. Bryan Robinson is 36 and starting at NT, Chike Okeafor should not start on an NFL team.

MaddHatter wrote:
During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

We rarely trade for veteran players at all.

MaddHatter wrote:
What has been the downfall of your team recently?

Inconsistent defense, Letting teams score with 2 minutes left in the game. Inconsistent pass rush.

MaddHatter wrote:
Where are your largest holes this offseason?

Nose Tackle, Pass Rushing OLB, Cornerback Depth. Inside LineBacker (Pending Dansby decisions)

MaddHatter wrote:
What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

Wide Receiver. Running Back, Tight End(Might not be great players, but we have exactly what we need, maybe a veteran in Free Agency could be added or bring back Becht)

MaddHatter wrote:
What will it take for you to win a championship?

Consistent Defense. Better Pass Rush, Consistent Coverage...

Matt Leinart steeping up to the plate and leading the offense.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here we go:

-Ken Whisenhunt, head coach. He's a very even minded coach, very fair. Best player plays, no discussion. He handles his team as well as I've seen from a Cardinals coach(Not that that says much...). Good team management, good clock management. He's not at all afraid to take chances during games. Half time adjustments could be better. As far as tendencies go, he obviously calls more pass plays, regardless of the situation and if he feels a play can made down the field, he'll go down the field. Doesn't matter if we're up by 3 or up by 50, he strikes when he believes there's an opportunity. Loves trick plays, loves to work out new kinks with the offense, not afraid to use defensive players on offense. Reverves, flea flickers, we've seen it all from Whiz on numerous occasions. Defensively, he seems to prefer an attacking defense but when a precvent is called he rarely overrules, much to our dismay. Overall, a very good head coach.
-Chris Miller and Russ Grimm are the team's co-offensive coordinators but head coach Ken Whisenhunt doubles as the playcaller so most of what you're looking for has been explained above(Hopefully!). More detail, he prefers a vertical pass game and has shown at times that he will force things down the field in an attempt to get that vertical game going. Our run game is centered around a power zone. A lot of shifts and traps centered around the power running game, which is headed by backs Tim Hightower and Beanie Wells. Tight ends and fullbacks are featured in base sets but moreso as run blockers and extra pass blockers. Rarely do these players see the football. I'd like to go into more detail but the offense may very well see changes now that Kurt Warner has retired.
-Offensive scheme features around the vertical passing game, with a power running game as a compliment to that. The team is running best offensively when the playaction pass is a factor. Up front, a lot of zones revolving around the power scheme. Size and strength are stressed heavily.
-Bill Davis, defensive coordinator. A very aggressive coordinator in the early stages of games. Lots of blitzes, both from inside and outside backers in our 34 scheme, lots of safeties blitzes, lots of stunts. Unfortunately, very mellow in the second half of games. Dials down on the pressure, a lot more man-off coverage(Although man-off is used predominantly in the first half of games as well). Relies heavily upon the defense flowing to the football, gang tackling. That's one reason why we're beaten on backside runs. Not as much emphasis on assignment as there should be, more emphasis on gang tackling. Rarely use multiple cornerbacks, instead relying on multiple safety sets. One thing that most people don't understand about Davis is that despite his defensive coordinator position in San Francisco, this past season was his first opportunity to have full defensive say. We're all hoping for a much better defensive performance in year two.
-From seven defensive scheme is the 34. In the secondary, man-off is the predominant coverage scheme. Cover three is seen quite often as well. Very little man press, if any at all. The secondary relies heavily upon on individual athleticism.
-Character does seem to be taken into account in the draft room when it comes to the early selections. Later on, we've the team take fliers on questionable players who have good late round value. Trevor Canfield and Brandon Keith were both value picks in round 7 who had character issue. Keith dropped out of Oklahoma due to academic problems. Canfield had multiple red flags for off the field incidents. One unique situation, a lot of teams shyed away from Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie because he only has one kidney. Our draft room obviously didn't find that to be a problem.
-Up comers, I feel we've got a good list. Brandon Keith, Herman Johnson, Early Doucet, Greg Toler and Reggie Walker are all guys who I feel have bright futures. All three players have been praised openly by our coaching staff(And that is rare, to hear the staff speak positively or negatively about players throught the media). Keith and Doucet will both push to be starters this season. As far as players starting who shouldn't be, you'd probably have to look for further than nose tackle Bryan Robinson. Hard worked, intelligent guy who's a huge locker room asset but he just doesn't have it physically. We need more of a presence inside. The lifer begins and ends with All-Pro safety Adrian Wilson.
-I don't recall the current mix of front office and coaching staff ever making a trade for another player. We have traded up in the NFL Draft but I honestly recall us ever trading for another current NFL player.
-Downfall is very, very easy to answer. Lack of quality depth. Young depth. I feel I speak for everyone on this.
-Linebacker is the largest hole. Both outside and inside. I definitely speak for everyone here....
-Biggest strength would be the quality of the actual starters. I feel we can match up with everyone starter wise. Our 22 against everyone elses 22, I feel good about that.
-What will take to win a championship? Aaron Francisco not being out of position in the final 30 second of the Super Bowl!!! In all honesty, more young talent. More depth. Right now, one of two key injuries at a select few positions...we'd be in serious trouble. That should be our main focus. Adding a lot more talent to our second string.

I'm probably gonna add even more to this because I love this topic so much but this is a good start.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, that's a great sign...Khodder and I gave almost exactly the same answer outside of the blocking game which does feature a lot of zone.

Will Davis is a guy I LOVE, can't believe I left him out. He's definitely an up and coming player from the rush linebacker position. I'm expecting big strides in year two.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, our blocking game is neither one nor the other, I just think that Grimm will tend towards bigger guys and a power scheme.

One thing that many do not know about Billy Davis is that he was a Defensive Assistant with the Steelers when Lebeau was the DB's coach and he has also worked until Dom Capers.

stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, both styles are incorporated but when we're using our zones, it's a power zone. There are differences.

Ken Whisenhunt also very rarely allows his rookies to play significant minutes early on. As stated earlier the best player always plays and if a rookie is a little raw he'll sit, regardless of draft position.
TBus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree with everything both you guys said. Nicely done. But did want to point out Chris Miller is QB coach and Mike Miller is the Passing-Game coordinator.

^^^Props to Deeeej^^^
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBus wrote:
Completely agree with everything both you guys said. Nicely done. But did want to point out Chris Miller is QB coach and Mike Miller is the Passing-Game coordinator.

Nice catch. Thank you for the clarification Tbus.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff guys - really appreciate the insights.

When you look at your ILB's, are they typically undersized, quick, good coverage guys or larger, block shedding run stuffers?

If you lose Dansby, what kind of guy would you need to replace him?

You're CB's spend alot of time in man coverage, is it typically press/bump and run or soft coverage?

With Leinart coming in as a southpaw, will that impact how your LT/RT play is? (RT protecting blindside, etc)

Sig courtesy of mack.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Mixed. Gerald Hayes, Reggie Walker and Ali Highsmith are all a tad small but Karlos Dansby and Monty Beisel both have prototypical size for a 34 inside backer. Hard to say really. Being strong at the point of attack is a must though. That's one reason Highsmith was released.
-I would think we'd try to replace him with someone like him. Same sort of size and skill set. Nothing concrete here, just a guess but it makes sense.
-Always man-off. Very rarely if ever would it be press or bump. Tons of man-off, lots of Cover 3.
-There has been talk of moving Levi Brown to the left side but I haven't seen or heard anything definitive on that.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
-Mixed. Gerald Hayes, Reggie Walker and Ali Highsmith are all a tad small but Karlos Dansby and Monty Beisel both have prototypical size for a 34 inside backer. Hard to say really. Being strong at the point of attack is a must though. That's one reason Highsmith was released.
-I would think we'd try to replace him with someone like him. Same sort of size and skill set. Nothing concrete here, just a guess but it makes sense.
-Always man-off. Very rarely if ever would it be press or bump. Tons of man-off, lots of Cover 3.
-There has been talk of moving Levi Brown to the left side but I haven't seen or heard anything definitive on that.

When I hear Cover 3, I think of the CB's in deep outside zone with a FS in the deep middle zone and LBs and SS underneath - is that the case in Arizona or were you referring to a Tampa-2 Cover 3 where the S's split the deep outside and an ILB takes the deep middle?

Sig courtesy of mack.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
There has been talk of moving Levi Brown to the left side but I haven't seen or heard anything definitive on that.

Would Whiz really put the inexperienced Brandon Kieth on Leinart's blindside? I just assumed Kieth would play right tackle when Warner was here and then switch to the other side when Leinart took over. I would definitely prefer Kieth away from Leinart's blindside for at least a year.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
There has been talk of moving Levi Brown to the left side but I haven't seen or heard anything definitive on that.

Would Whiz really put the inexperienced Brandon Kieth on Leinart's blindside? I just assumed Kieth would play right tackle when Warner was here and then switch to the other side when Leinart took over. I would definitely prefer Kieth away from Leinart's blindside for at least a year.

Problem with switching them is Keith has done all of his work at RT, how much would the switch to LT and the complete reversal of what he has been working on for that past two years affect his ability to play. Not to mention that Levi is a natural LT and the move to RT was a tough transition for him.

Better to play guys in their natural positions than to try and force them into another position.

MaddHatter wrote:
When I hear Cover 3, I think of the CB's in deep outside zone with a FS in the deep middle zone and LBs and SS underneath - is that the case in Arizona or were you referring to a Tampa-2 Cover 3 where the S's split the deep outside and an ILB takes the deep middle?

Traditional Cover 3, though sometimes in our Nickel sets we have two safeties underneath (Rolle and Wilson most times) and the 3rd safety (Has been at different times, Rashad Johnson, Mike Adams, Ralph Brown and a couple of others)

Sometimes you see a Tampa-2 style Cover three like position from Dansby when he dropped really deep, but that was only from our nickel sets and it was usually from something like a 3-3-5 with 3 safeties.

We would split Rolle and Whomever the other S was wide, Karlos would drop into the middle, and Wilson was likely blitzing off the edge with any combination of Linebackers filling the other two LB spots.

Our defense has been described as the most confusing in the NFL by Carson Palmer.

heloinho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:

Our defense has been described as the most confusing in the NFL by Carson Palmer.

But that was with Clancy at DC ... Pendergrast confused our players too Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: