Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Sig courtesy of mack.
Kazkal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Defensive Minded likes to run the Ball Stuck with a OC that Mike Brown is in love with...Get's alot of uncalled for Hate IMO being that he has one hardest couching jobs...Alot people question his Challenges and time outs but I remember hes in top half for challenges and if OC would get the play in on time wouldn't have call time outs so much to stop a delay of game.

* Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Poor Mans Martz with very unoriginal game planning and doesn't seem to usre players to their Strengths? Has Something against Pass Catching Tight Ends wants them to be mainly a 6th Linemen.

* What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Well Pass happy in pass,We were Slightly more Run Heavy this year...Seems to have a problem with Predictable Play Calling.

* Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
[/b]

Defensive Genius? Had one of the Worst Units in the NFL and turned it in to one of the best over 2 years? He's a great players couch He'll use players to their Strengths and make them play much better then they actually are (Notice 0 probowlers in 4th Ranked Defense)

* What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Pretty Standard 4-3 that does good amount of blitzing,Our best Blitz's seem to come from our DB's..

* When drafting, how important is character?
Depends what type character you mean? Yes we take our share of problem Childs...But at same time our """High""" Character guys never get the credit they deserve.

* During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

Mike Brown likes to sit in one spot and take his player...We Traded Down some in 2004 But we also turned down 2 entire Drafts to take akili Smith...

* Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
* During the offseason, how act

Michael Johnson-Is Probably one of my favorite Young players.Bender Scott is a Great Change of Pace back and Andre Smith will be Starting RT next year...Outside of that I don't really see any Depth Guys unseating Starters.

ive in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

Well Tend to just let Them Walk,Trading? not so much

* What has been the downfall of your team recently?
Mike Brown is pretty Cheap and is to Loyal/ Family Based...I'd kill to have a Real Football mind in charge of football operations.

* Where are your largest holes this offseason?
Saf,RG,K,WR & 3rdownDE) (TE would be nice but I don't see us drafting one early
* What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
Not Really losing any Key Players? So team should only improve.

* What will it take for you to win a championship?

Protecting Carson (Right side of Oline was suspect)
Having Some Reliable Weapons to open up the Passing game
Mike Brown To Pass away

PS,Play Making Safety would be nice too Wink we need our Version of Ed Reed or a Enforcer type.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff man - keep it coming guys!

Sig courtesy of mack.
Kazkal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Good stuff man - keep it coming guys!

Ya just my own opinions hopefully they helped some,But should get a nice Variety the perk of a msg board.
CincyCracker9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll try to help:

* Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him? he is a prototype AFCN coach...wants to play clock-control offense and pound the rock; his style seems to be: run, run, pass, punt...he tends to maintain a game philosophy whether it works or not, but has shown that he tries to make adjustments; one thing i like about marvin (and i'm not his biggest fan) is that he realizes he has to build a team that can win the AFCN- he knows that's the first step to the Super Bowl and makes conscious roster decisions based on what helps us beat BAL, CLE, and PIT.

* Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him? for some reason, bratkowski is regarded as one of the better OCs in the league (at least according to some columnists, websites, etc.), but it's become apparent to me over the years that he is predictable, he lacks creativity, he underutilizes his talent, and he makes awful in-game adjustments. like kaz said, a pass-catching TE is, for some reason, not important to his scheme. he draws up terrible routes for our WRs. we likely have led the league over the past 5 years in 'delay of game' penalties..not sure who is to blame, but it seems like getting playcalls in is a problem.

* What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it? our offensive linemen love to block for cedric benson, and they do a very good job...they're strong, pretty mobile and show good technique in their run-block assignments; as pass protectors, they struggle, getting pushed back (poor leverage, not poor strength) frequently on blitz packages; missed assignments in the passing game seem to have gotten less frequent, but part of me wonders how much carson is responsible..is he not making proper LOS changes? not sure..

* Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc. zimmer should be our HC in my opinion. on top of best utilizing his talent, he is a motivator..he's a coach players want to play for. they trust him, they believe in him, and as a result, they believe in each other. what i love about zimmer is his recognition of how to best use the players he has. he wants to be aggressive, but he won't be unless he has the right players to fulfill those plans. great adjuster; mixes up packages well enough to keep offenses on their toes.

* When drafting, how important is character? it seems as though it is not important at all. had a few awful wtf-type drafts. at this point, we have veterans who can help iron out character issues...a few years ago, we didn't have the right foundation to bring in low-character guys- that is why they were drafted and continued getting in trouble. now, our vets take them under their wing and teach them how to be pros.

* During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?not very. never trade up to get a player we want. in fact, the last time we traded in the first round was so we could PASS ON STEVEN JACKSON for two-carry chris freakin perry.

* Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?we have a "what you see is what you get" type of roster. no hidden gems waiting to blossom really, except fan-favorite MICHAEL JOHNSON. he is a freak of nature and will only get more PT. some good, young O-linemen and i still like pat sims' future a lot. ndukwe (SS), i thought would get better and be a starter-type player, but he doesn't seem to have gotten any better; robert geathers is overrated and shouldn't be starting at DE; our TEs would not make half the rosters (or practice squads) in the league, but j.p. foschi was servicable. lifers- carson palmer, leon hall, benson, domata peko, keith rivers would be my guesses, but who knows..

* During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans? we have been trying, but frankly, not a lot of FAs have wanted to come here in the past...things are changing, though. we're about average, i would guess. we're good for a couple signings per year.

* What has been the downfall of your team recently?history, pass protection, and the passing game in general; lack of professional atmosphere (which is changing, finally); poor defense (which is changing, as well); playing in the AFCN

* Where are your largest holes this offseason? we need a S, a DE, a WR or two, a functional TE, pass protection, and creativity on offense.

* What are your biggest strengths this offseason? we have a good foundation in place; we are more desirable to FAs than in the past; we shouldn't be losing a whole lot (maybe bobbie williams, among others); we have some good, young talent that is ready to blossom soon (andre smith, rey maualuga, michael johnson, pat sims, bernard scott...) and they all have the potential to be game-changers

* What will it take for you to win a championship?
i have to think mike brown is the problem. at some point, you look at the captain of the ship...it's the trickle-down effect; it starts at the top. his football knowledge has been unfairly attacked, but his ability to lead a winning NFL franchise has been exposed as pure suck. he's simply not a winner and his flaws have proven to keep the team down. i would say that him being gone would help us immediately...only problem is, his daughter katie blackburn is next in line and i have a feeling she will be even worse than mike.
ncaa: u. cincy/ u. tennessee
ADOPT-A-BENGAL:
a.j. green- 19catches, 312yds, 2 TDs
jonathan fanene- 13 tackles, 2.0 sacks
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

[*]Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

As previously stated, he's your typical AFCN kind of guy. Also he likes for his young guys to be able to contribute on special teams. If they can't play on teams early they won't see the field (See Chase Coffman, Jerome Simpson and Ahmad Brooks before that).

[*]Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Most people know what play he's going to call. He likes blocking TE's and oversized linemen. He's looking for another Chris Henry to bail out his horrible play calling.

[*]What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

We are trying to get away from the no huddle, quick passing game and turn into a grind it out running team. The HC decided that we should use less no huddle because it wears down our oversized linemen, so they aren't as good in run blocking as a result.

We are trying to find a deep threat after the passing of Chris Henry. Also we are looking for taller receivers after losing TJ (6'2) and Chris (6'4).

[*]Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

Zimmer started out as a DB coach. He can't get enough good corners or safeties. He does wonders with them (Roy Williams multiple pro bowls, JJoe and Hall turned into one of the best corner duo's in the NFL).

He likes to rotate his D-Linemen a lot. So you'll see DE's like Antwan Odom and Johnathan Fanene playing DT on 3rd downs.

Also him and Jeff Fitzgerald likes bigger LB's. Before Zimmer our Lb's included Landon Johnson, Caleb Miller and other smaller LB's. Now they are looking for bigger LB's who can support the run.

[*]What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Nothing fancy we play a straight 4-3. But he does like versatile DE's that can play DT on 3rd downs.

Our DC would like to have some more blitz packages but doesn't want the defense to lose it's fundamentals, so we'll see how that goes.

[*]When drafting, how important is character?

If the player comes cheap, Mike Brown could care less about character. Marvin Lewis does but he is trumped by Brown.

[*]During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

I can see us moving down, especially this year. But rarely if ever do I remember Mike Brown moving up. Mainly we don't make a lot of moves.

[*]Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

Michael Johnson - up and comer
Jason Shirley - Possibly up and comer at guard
Fui Vakapana - up and comer

Leon Hall or Johnathan Joseph - Possible trade bait. I don't know if Mike Brown can keep both of them. So I wouldn't be surprised if one leaves in FA or if we trade one prior to that.

Robert Geathers - Tradeable. With the rise of Johnathan Fanene and Michael Johnson, Geathers could be trade bait if anyone was actually interested.

Anthony Collins - After drafting Andre Smith and the rise of Dennis Roland, Collins could be good trade bait. He's an up and comer at OT, who could fetch some interest from other teams.

[*]During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

Ah, next question.

[*]What has been the downfall of your team recently?

The curse of Bo Jackson.

[*]Where are your largest holes this offseason?

- #2 receiver opposite Chad. Preferably a big, deep threat receiver.
- Tight end
- Pass rushers
- Depth at FS
- Guard if Bobbie Williams doesn't resign
- Depth at CB if JJoe or Hall get hurt
- Depth at DT if Tank Johnson isn't resign
- Field Goal/kick off kicker
- FB if Fui Vakapana doesn't pan out

[*]What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

Continuity of the O-Line. We had 4 new starters (Counting Whit changing from LG to LT) this last season. Next season the left side of the line including the center will probably stay the same. Andre Smith got some experience at RT and will probably start there. Only RG might change this season. If we resign Bobbie it will be a huge plus having all 5 linemen return. That will cut down on the penalties which killed our offense last season...

[*]What will it take for you to win a championship?

Mike Brown to sell the team.

After that a true pass rusher to replace Geathers on defense. And a vertical threat on offense combined with Carson Palmer regaining his accuracy...
BigNati

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him? Defensive, run it down their throats grinder in the mold of the AFCNorth. Cocky, maybe on the verge of arrogant, but I like that in a coach. I dont think many people know that he's a master of psychology and human resources. How else does he work with Mike Brown?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him? Most people dont know he suffered brain damage in a bar fight. Explains the play calling... drap, slow, uneventful. His style is rigid, without elite running and catching, he doesnt convert to another style readily.
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it? Lots of power, little finnesse. Unusual number of heavy sets, but might return to normal with the maturation of the line. The proportion of runs to passes is rare, but not unique as is the present reliance on a full back.
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc. Even keeled DC with a history of building strong defenses with little known players. Plays to the strengths of the guys he has, a stark contrast to the OC. Values his two young corners' ability to man cover and expands the rest of the defense off of this tenet. The best thing about him is he doesn't have a lot of tendencies, the defense is not predictable even though the sets are usually designed to line up and smash. Not an inordinate amount of blitzes, just play the play thats called.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it? Base 4-3, man 2, narrow gaps on the line. The DE kicks out from time to time opening that gap a little wide, but that's mostly when our speed rusher is in (Michael Johnson). Most people dont know that we dont blitz very much, and when we do its not elaborate or overtly disguised even on a safety or corner blitz. Again, just line up and go get 'em!
  • When drafting, how important is character? Is this a trick question??? Character is not heavily weighted in our war room. Mike Brown is the Redeamer. It has hurt us on a number of occasions (see downfall question)
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades? Damn near never, unless its the prudent 'trade down' that had saddled us with such garbage as Chris Perry...
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer? Michael Johson (with some added bulk) along with Bernard Scott are up and comers. If we used BScott more like B Westbrook we'd get a lot more out of him. LV Coles should not be starting at WR, and none of our TEs are starting caliber in the NFL. I would say chad is tradeable, but that would live our WR corps in bad shape. Benson could bring a late 1, and with enhanced role for BScott and drafting a mauler, we could take the hit. Pat Sims would bring a 3. Andre Smith is a future starter.
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans? More active lately a la Brian Leonard, but usually our grissled vets come from 2nd and 3rd tier free agent signings.
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently? An abhorant scouting department and management. We can cry all day about outdoor practice facilities and robbing the county for stadium money, but nothing has hurt this team more on the field than the drafting of undersized (David Pollack, Peter Warrick), red flag (Odell Thurman, AJ Nichols, Chris Henry), fragile (Chris Perry, Ki-Jana Carter), 'project' (Stacey Andrews, Jerome Simpson), fraudulant, untalented (Akili Smith, Eric Ghaicuc) so called players that never cut it! And yes, I did that from memory!
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason? WR, 3rd CB, S, OG, DT, in that order
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason? our DC is back and will have a scheme in place to draft for. Something our OC couldn't do with 3 brains.
  • What will it take for you to win a championship? Prayer, continued fan support to keep Mike Brown from Scruge McDucking us for the next 10 years, Prayer, and a couple of bounceback years from our QB.

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: