Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Sig courtesy of mack.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Sup MaddHater! Laughing

(I saw that in a thread in Gen and chuckled...)

Quote:
Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Mr. Gary Kubiak. If you remember the Broncos from the late 90s/early 00s, you'll get a view of how Kubs runs his show. He is a disciple of new Washington HC Mike Shanahan and just about everything he does is a mirror image of Shanny.

Gary's not a yeller, and he is not shy to take blame for issues that surround this team. In fact...some might view this as a hinderance to his style. There are times in which you need to hold players' feet to the fire and let them know that their performance needs to step up, as opposed to referring to them as "kids" and treating them as such. These are grown men...another weakness is his loyalty; His staffs have contained coaches that have some sort of personal tie to either the Broncos or Colorado State University (the school in which both of his sons play).

Quote:
Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Rick Dennison, the former OL coach for the Broncos. Again, another disciple of the Shanny era. I don't know much about him yet, but all signs seem to point to him holding the same values and vision as Kubiak, which makes this good yet bad at the same time. Good because there's no shift in philosophy...bad because groupthink can set in and all coaches could be blind to critical errors on the offensive side of the ball.

Quote:
What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Run/Run Blocking - ZBS
Passing - Run to set up the pass, naked bootlegs and crossing routes used heavily.

The Texans might be one of the few teams that strictly utilize the ZBS system as their primary form of blocking. Many teams shifted over to the ZBS when Denver had their "plug-n-play" model of using late round RBs and OL to create havok...however, with DT and DE getting faster and faster, the "small but quick OL" used in the ZBS model might be antiquated, as witnessed by the Texans lack of a running game.

The ZBS has been dissected by just about every NFL pundit since the Terrell Davis/Olandis Gary/Mike Anderson/Clinton Portis dominance that Denver trotted out, so not much that people don't know anymore.

Passing? It all lives and dies off of the naked bootleg. The Texans use the threat of the run (no matter how non-existant it might be) to roll Matt Schaub out of the pocket. WRs Kevin Walter and TE Owen Daniels are allowed to work the seams and the middle of the field to find pockets. Andre Johnson is the wildcard to this equasion; His athleticsm is something rarely seen in any Kubiak-based offense, so it gives the Texans more utility in attacking the defense downfield. Team that with Schaub's uncanny accuracy to throw the deep ball and you have an interesting wrinkle on an offense that John Elway ran to perfection.

Quote:
Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

Frank Bush is our current DC. A former LB coach for the Arizona Cardinals, Bush has eschewed his former 3-4 roots in favor of a 4-3 setup. The one thing that is ALWAYS said about Bush is that he's a player's coach. The 11 guys on defense will break their back for Bush and it started to show after week 3 of this season.

Quote:
What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Bush's philosophy (as well as Kubiak's philosophy) is to generate heavy pressure with the front four, allowing LBs to be reactive against the run/pass as opposed to proactive in the blitz. Even though Bush is somewhat averse to blitzing, he is very situational in nature: In middle to long situations, it's starting to become evident that Bush likes to turn up the heat and send players after the QB.

Secondary? The Texans like to mix it up between soft man coverage and hard zone coverage with a lot of "turn and burn" with the CBs. SS tend to stay at home and patrol from sideline-to-sideline (with a secondary assignment to follow the run game) and the FS to play a deep CF style to take away the long passes. The secondary was flawed and had massive mistakes early on, but the addition of SS Bernard Pollard gave the Texans a SS presence who could play the run and pass with equal results.

Quote:
When drafting, how important is character?

It's somewhat important, but the Texans will take a risk if they see a reward. The top of the draft is littered with "early to bed/early to rise" players such as QB David Carr (very active in the community during his tenure here) WR Andre Johnson (a quiet player amongst the bravado of the University of Miami) DT Amobi Okoye (a young and up front young man who was accepted into Harvard at the age of 16) and DE Mario Williams (someone who is described as an "introvert" and wasn't as flamboyant or self serving as the other "top prospects" in the 2006 draft).

However, the Texans have also taken gambles on guys such as Dominick Davis-Williams (who has fathered six children from six women, many of them coming before his days as a Texan) and WR Jacoby Jones (a brash WR from a small school). While it's not in line with taking a risk on a player such as a Lawrence Phillips, it was still very risky given the Texans track record.

Quote:
During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

Up and down, depending on the year and prospects. Two years ago, the Texans moved down and managed to grab some additional picks in the process, one of which was RB Steve Slaton. Any kind of trade that involves draft picks is usually done well in advance of the draft (QB Sage Rosenfels to the Vikings, QB Matt Schaub from Atlanta, CB Phillip Buchanon from the Raiders). The Texans will take a risk, but it's usually figured out WELL before they are on the clock.

Quote:
Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

UP AND COMERS:
WR Jacoby Jones
WR David Anderson
OG Antoine Caldwell
DE Conner Barwin
LB Zac Diles
CB Glover Quin
SS Bernard Pollard

STARTER BUT SHOULDN'T:
OG Mike Brisel
C Chris Myers
RB Arian Foster
DT Shaun Cody
CB Dunta Robinson

WILDCARD:
DT Amobi Okoye - Part of you looks at his production in three years and think that he has busted out, but part of you looks at the fact that he is younger than many of the Sr draft prospects this season. You want to believe that he can make that step and you think his age is an advantage, but it's hard to get a read right now...

TRADABLE:
None

LIFER:
WR Andre Johnson
QB Matt Schaub
RT Eric Winston
DE Mario Williams
OLB Brian Cushing

Quote:
During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

Rather docile; Outside of the trade for Matt Schaub, there haven't been many veterans the Texans have traded for. The prevailing thoughts are that the Texans fill out the depth with nondescrept and affordable FAs, make 1-2 big FA signings, then fill out the rest with the draft.

Quote:
What has been the downfall of your team recently?

The Texans can not finish out a game, otherwise known as lacking a killer instinct. The Texans have been the story of two halves in each game: One half, they are a Super Bowl darkhorse team...another half, they are jockeying for a top-10 draft selection. They are very rarely the same team for four consecutive quarters.

Quote:
Where are your largest holes this offseason?

- CB
- Interior OL
- NT
- RB
- FS
- K

Quote:
What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

- Elite passing attack
- Active front seven

Quote:
What will it take for you to win a championship?

- Consistency in the run game
- Consistency in pressuring the QB
- Consistency in coverage
- Consistency in FGs
- Red Zone efficiency (don't leave it to K, score TDs)
- A killer instinct/ability to finish out games

Hope this helps. Wink

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.

Last edited by EliteTexan80 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marco79

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post ET, I agree with most of what you said.

2 other names that I would add to up and comers would be Duane Brown and Brice McCain.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Former Quarterbacks guru with Denver in the 90s. Runs the same ZBS they used back in the Mike Shanahan days. Has way to much loyalty to players who simply aren't cutting it. Lots of ex-Broncos in and around this franchise thanks to Kubiak, many failed Broncos. Lots of his friends, or friends of his sons hang around too.

• Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

No idea, it was the guy from the Seahawks. Who apparently was a good QB coach and has previous relationship with Schaub. Although Seahawk fans tell us he was very much run first in Seattle.

• What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Zone blocking scheme. Arguably the worst to use in this current day and age. We rely on smaller, agile lineman, who excel in getting to the 2nd level. We runs lots of roll outs and screens. Unfortunately, the philosophy of smaller lineman being able to out run, or move big defensive tackles is a thing of the past, so now you see mammoth 330lb lineman pushing guys like Chris Myers and Chris White about like rag dolls.

• Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

Frank Bush. I think he was meant to bring a more aggressive style of play, but to be honest through the first 3 weeks of last year, it looked like nobody knew what they were doing

• What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

We have one of the most expensive, and most talented front sevens in the NFL. Mario Williams, Antonio Smith, Amobi Okoye, Brian Cushing and DeMeco Ryans all have bags of ability but its trying to get that out of them thats proving the problem. Our secondary is, well, as it's always been, partially to get burned deep. Dunta Robinson has regressed since his injury and will likely not be back. Jacques Reeves was relegated to third on the depth chart with the emergence of rookie Glover Quinn Jr. who has shown he can be a solid corner for us. After those 3 we have 3 unknowns/terrible players, rookie Brice McCain, 2 year pro Antwuan Molden, who spends most of his time injured and Fred Bennett who should be buying his ticket to the game. Our safeties are not a great deal better, although the signing of Bernard Pollard has been a revelation for our defense improving in every category. The fact we had John Busing and Brian Russell being in many snaps shows you the problems we have.

• When drafting, how important is character?

Very. Our FO, Owner and Kubs love good character guys.

• During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

Not very. In 2004 we traded up to select Jason Babin. I like to think we learnt our lesson.

• Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

Glover Quinn Jr. showed a lot of promise. Jacoby Jones showed tonnes of improvement. Zac Diles showed us he can be a good player for us. Chris Myers and Mike Briesel should not be starting. Basically we have Schaub, Slaton, Leach, AJ, JJ, KW, OD, Duane Brown, Eric Winston, Caldwell, Mario, A.Smith, Cushing, Barwin, Ryans, Pollard and Quinn. After that it's slim pickings.

• During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

Not very, Kubiak loves the draft and signing ex-Broncos.

• What has been the downfall of your team recently?

Kicking game. Cornerbacks. Running Game. Interior Oline play.

• Where are your largest holes this offseason?

Offensive line and secondary

• What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

Quarterback, Linebackers and Receivers

• What will it take for you to win a championship?

A running game, a run stuffing NT and either a top corner or ball hawk safety.

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Would go into more detail but its late here and I'm shattered

Raz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

This is an excellent idea to help others get info.

Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
Kubiak is an offense minded coach, he really isn't a head coach or at least doesn't act like one but he's a great offense coordinator.He runs Zone blocking scheme for running and likes the one cut running backs.He uses play action alot in the passing game and also scripts plays which works really well.The rumor is that he scripts first couple of plays of first and second half.He also is annoyingly loyal.

Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
Offensive line coach from Broncos, not much know and he will have to run his plays through kubs this season.He is a pure zone guy.

What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
Zone blocking and play action.Does not take chances.

Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc
Defense coordinator uses speedy guys and likes alot of movement.Does not use CB's and free safety in helping with the run game.

What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
We run 4-3 and kubs usually keeps that intact.Against great TE's we often let LBackers cover them with not that great results.Should play with Nickel CB more often but there is not much depth there.Strong safety plays in the box and we are usually man coverage.

When drafting, how important is character?
Character is extremely important, character issues are not welcome in Houston or so it seems.

During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
We have only traded down to get more picks and in the end reaching for a player who fits the scheme.

Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
On offense Schaub proved that he is the man, he will lead this team to greatness.Also we have AJ but not much alse worth mentioning.On defense we have Mario Williams and Antonio Smith who are solid as DE's, defense tackles have potential but in my mind we need a big, athletic and strong DT who can help Okoye reaching full potential.Linebackers are set for next decade or so.We are very weak at corners and could use help there, only future potential starter is Glover Quin.Safety position is solid and Pollard is a potential star on this team, but we could use a playmaker to play centerfield.

During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
Usually we have been picking up scraps from other good teams, but i think Kubiak has learned his lesson and won't sign another big name once was a great player.

What has been the downfall of your team recently?
Kubiak has had problem managing games and we have been extremely unlucky on couple of occasions.Kubiak said before this season that he was disappointed that he could get a good power back and that certainly hurt us.3rd and longs have also been extremely annoying to defend as other teams convert with ease.

Where are your largest holes this offseason?
RB, CB, DT/NT, Guards

What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
QB, DE's, Linebackers and Strong safety.

What will it take for you to win a championship?

Power running back and a good man coverage corner, and depth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL ET - You caught that too? Very Happy

Great stuff guys - really appreciate it

Sig courtesy of mack.
texandominance

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

STARTER BUT SHOULDN'T:
OG Mike Brisel
C Chris Myers
RB Arian Foster
DT Shaun Cody

Still think that lol,

just messing, I thought the same thing at the time, good thing its changed!
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm ET80 this says otherwise about Kubs yelling habits

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Ummm ET80 this says otherwise about Kubs yelling habits

That's a battlefighter yell if I've ever seen one. Laughing

Quote:
just messing, I thought the same thing at the time, good thing its changed!

I'm waiting with baited breath to see it all unfold...

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: