Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GC EXCLUSIVE - ERNIE SIMS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GridironCentral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: GC EXCLUSIVE - ERNIE SIMS Reply with quote

Here's the transcript of my interview with Ernie Sims. I hope you guys enjoy it. I want to thank Ernie for taking the time to talk with me. If you enjoy these interviews, please support us by heading over to www.gridironcentralmag.com and checking out the site. Thanks...

ERNIE SIMS - LB - FLORIDA STATE

LE: What have the last few months been like for you?

ES: Theyíve been exciting. Iíve been moving around a lot. I did the Combine and everything, and that was pretty nerve-racking. Right now Iím traveling around, visiting with teams. I just visited with Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore and Indianapolis, and then tomorrow Iíll be visiting Washington and Tampa. So, right now weíre just getting ready for the Draft and everything.

LE: What are you most looking forward to about Draft Day?

ES: My name being called out in the top 10, really. Thatís something Iíve dreamed of. Iíve been watching players get drafted in the top rounds since I was a little kid. Itís something Iím excited about, for my family and me, and we canít wait for it.

LE: Is there a specific team youíd like to play for, maybe a team you rooted for growing up?

ES: Probably Tampa Bay. I always watched them when I was younger. Another team that Iíve grown to love watching is the Baltimore Ravens, mostly because of Ray Lewis.

LE: A lot of people are talking about you fitting well into the defensive system used in places like Tampa Bay and Indianapolis. What type of defensive system do you think you would fit best in?

ES: I think the teams that Iíve been visiting like Detroit, Chicago and Tampa Bay. Teams that run that Cover 2 defense, where the Will can pretty much run around and make a lot of plays. I think thatís the type of defense that Iím best suited for. Basically, the type of defense that Derrick Brooks has been so successful in.

LE: What do you say to critics who question your size?

ES: You know what, I just tell them Iím a football player. I canít control what my size is. I just go out there and make plays. Iím not as tall as some linebackers, but Iíll tell you one thing, I can play just as hard, or even better, than they can.

LE: You are an NFL scout. Break down Ernie Sims. What are your strengths and weaknesses?

ES: I think my main strength is that Iím very explosive. I hustle to the ball a lot and I give great effort. I think I need to take better angles to the ball. Some coaches might think that I might be too small for their defense, but other coaches may love it, and see that my speed is my biggest asset, and that I would fit their scheme perfect. So, it really depends.

LE: A lot of people are comparing you to fellow FSU star Derrick Brooks. How do you feel about that comparison?

ES: Iíve seen him several times on film, especially at Florida State, and the main thing we have in common is our speed. I think thatís what a lot of people see when they compare the two of us. You canít really say, ďThis player is like that player,Ē because every player is different, but again, I think the reason people compare myself and Derrick Brooks is because of our speed.

LE: What did it mean to you to play at FSU, with such a great tradition of playmakers, especially on defense?

ES: It was a great privilege. To play for a team thatís had so much success, and especially playing for Bobby Bowden, it was a real privilege to be a part of a tradition like that. I mean, with all the players that have come through there like Derrick Brooks, Deion Sanders, Warrick Dunn, Samari Rolle, and it just keeps going. All these great names who played there, and if you think about it, itís never going to end. Thereís always going to be great players coming through Florida State. Itís really a privilege.

LE: Because of the NFL success of players like the ones you just mentioned, do you think that your time at FSU gives you any kind of advantage over some other prospects?

ES: Like I said, if you think about it, Florida State is always going to have athletes coming in, and we always have so much depth on our team, and we have all-stars coming in here every year. The idea of competing is like second nature to us. Every day in practice, we compete. We know what it takes, and we know that youíve got to earn your position. You canít just walk in and have a starting spot given to you, like in high school. Itís not a cakewalk.

LE: Tell me about your high school football experience at North Florida Christian, a Class 1A school (smallest class in FL), and the success that they had while you were there (4 state titles). Also, did anyone ever question your ability because they thought you werenít playing against good enough competition?

ES: Well, thatís always going to be the case. People are always going to look at what class you play in, and say that, ďOh, youíre only in Class 1AĒ. The thing that I would tell them is that the players in Class 1A are very gifted. Weíve had several players go to college, and on to the next level. It proves that Class 1A wasnít a cakewalk. We played bigger schools, several times. I remember when we played Lincoln (Tallahassee, Class 4A), and Lincoln will tell you that they had the utmost respect for us because we played them so tough, even though we may not have had the amount of athletes that they did. People always talk about how I went to a Class 1A school, but we won 3 state championships while I was there, so it couldnít be that bad.

LE: What were some of the key factors in your decision to leave FSU early?

ES: The main thing for me was it was just a great opportunity. A lot of players pass up that opportunity, and I didnít want to do that. Also, a lot of players want to see if they have a good chance to go in the 1st round, and thatís the thing that I was really thinking about, ďDo I have a great chance of going in the 1st round?Ē Everyone I talked to said I had a great chance, so I wanted to take that opportunity.

LE: What would be your ideal situation: Getting picked higher and possibly making more money, or maybe going at a lower pick to a team who could best use your skills, and possibly be a playoff contender?

ES: Everyone wants to be picked high and make more money, and donít get me wrong, I would love that. But, Iím hoping that the team that picks me picks me for the right reasons. At the same time though, I hope that team picks real high. Iím not a normal linebacker. Iím smaller than a normal linebacker. A team isnít going to pick me just to pick me. Theyíre going to pick me because I fit well with their scheme.

LE: Who are some past or current players you try to emulate on the field?

ES: Derrick Brooks and Ray Lewis are pretty much it. I really like watching LaVar Arrington, too. I like the way he plays. Pretty much, any linebacker that plays with a lot of intensity, and is very aggressive, hustling to the ball a lot. I like watching Brian Urlacher play, too. Those are the type of guys that I love to watch.
LE#16

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." - 1 Corinthians 9:24
SantanasTown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice interview man, thanks for posting it. Im a big Ernie Sims fan.

Human Crack in the Flesh. Im the last of the best. One word to describe me? Spectacular, Yes.
2006 FF Mock Draft Contest Winner
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie come to the cards young one...Great interveiw GC....i think detroit is really a big option but with boss and teddy???who knows Minny could be the place or tampa.....so many questions.....thats why i love the draft

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stuff man. Awesome.

Yeah, awesome cool! Denver Broncos rock the world!
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
who knows Minny could be the place

He better get used to the cold, because that's where he's going! Laughing
GridironCentral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I'd be very surprised to see him last to Minnesota...
LE#16

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." - 1 Corinthians 9:24
RavensWin520

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize he visited with Baltimore. I love him, but I am not sure if I would want the Ravens to pick him because Scott and Thomas are already at OLB, along with Cody filling in.

Good interview.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
khodder wrote:
who knows Minny could be the place

He better get used to the cold, because that's where he's going! Laughing

Yea, he better ask for a mint coat and for someone else to take care of the gas bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted Ernie to come to Tampa, but after this.......

Quote:
LE: Is there a specific team youíd like to play for, maybe a team you rooted for growing up?

ES: Probably Tampa Bay. I always watched them when I was younger. Another team that Iíve grown to love watching is the Baltimore Ravens, mostly because of Ray Lewis.

I want him EVEN MORE!!!!!!!!1

props on the interview...

disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GridironCentral wrote:
At this point, I'd be very surprised to see him last to Minnesota...

Even with the issues regarding his concussions? Couldn't that possibly play an effect in some of the others that could be interested in him?
Maverick41

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo! Nice job GC! I can't wait for the Pope and Ryans interviews

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060620
cew28315039

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job man i am surprised that he hasnt been to STL but stuff happens

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great stuff! besides pope, sims, and ryans are you interviewing any other draft prospects?
Proud Canadian
Dion Phaneuf owns you
GridironCentral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this may be hard to believe (and after what happened with NFL Draft Blitz, I don't expect you to, lol), but Reggie Bush's agency called me back tonight, and said they were delivering my interview request to him tonight. This would be quite the interview...

Other names that are likely to be interviewed include:

DJ Shockley
Stanley McClover
Andre Hall
Anthony Mix

Other players that I have contact info for include:

Matt Leinart
LenDale White
Winston Justice
Mario Williams
Vernon Davis
D'Qwell Jackson
Antonio Cromartie
Brodrick Bunkley
LE#16

Poloplaya1112

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well If you get ahold of Vernon Davis Let him know we would love to have him in Jacksonville Wink Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: