You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If you were the Browns GM, would you do this...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: If you were the Browns GM, would you do this... Reply with quote

Hello Cleveland fans,

I am a regular poster in the Vikings forum and proposed a trade over there between the Vikings and the Browns. I was just curious, from a Browns fan's perspective, whether this hypothetical was realistic at all (not in the sense of: would it happen?, just in the sense of :is it fair value?.

Vikings fans are pretty split between Mike Williams and Derrick Johnson and I was just theorizing whether there was a possible way to get them both. I came up with this trade:

The Vikings trade:

#18 pick (First Round)
#49 pick (Second Round)
5th Round Pick
7th Round Pick
SS Brian Russell (would have to sign a franchise tender and then be traded clean, but Crennel was impressed with his visit I hear)
RB Michael Bennett

for Cleveland's #3 pick.

The Vikes could then, more than likely get both Williams at #3 and Derrick Johnson at #7.

It looks to me like you guys would get fair value too: A proven rusher in the league in Bennett, although he has some injury concerns. A SS that Crennel likes and would be a decent backup at least. Romeo might even be able to turn him into a great starter. Conjecture, but intriguing. Plus 3 extra picks to help pad your team, and on top of that you don't even lose your first round pick. It would be on the low end, but there will be a quality defender or QB Alex Smith left at #18.

I think it'd be a good deal. It will never happen. But I just thought I would get some Browns' opinions.
The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things would have to have gone horribly wrong for the Browns to want to trade down that far in the draft. The only way I could see it is if they were receiving another 1st rounder. Not a mid second etc. it's just not enough value.
ShakeNbake2128

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a terrible trade 18th? and a 2nd for our 3rd then a couple or crap picks and Bennett who we have no use for and a worthless saftey NO THANKS RETARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charger-man thanks for the sweet sig and Scar for the avatar.
matt27j

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way it will work for the Vikes to trade up with us will be either both of their 1st rounders since they value Mike Williams a lot it seems, or this maybe pushing it, but the 7th pick+49th+vikes 4th.
MusingsFromBigPink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Vikes trade? Reply with quote

First off, let me apologize on behalf of most Browns' fans for the name calling. Every forum suffers a few fools I guess.

Quote:
The Vikings trade:

#18 pick (First Round)
#49 pick (Second Round)
5th Round Pick
7th Round Pick
SS Brian Russell (would have to sign a franchise tender and then be traded clean, but Crennel was impressed with his visit I hear)
RB Michael Bennett

for Cleveland's #3 pick

You're right, it's too big a deal to ever get done -- it would scare both teams. But it's not that far off in fairness terms. The problem lies with the current players you offer. Russell is a nice safety who's nowhere near worth a franchise tender number; and can be had for much less (you offer what you no longer own, my friend). I don't know Bennett's contract situation, but if it's friendly he's a nice sweetener (even with the misguided Chester Taylor signing); if not, we'd have no interest.

It looks to me like you're adding spare parts players to avoid upgrading the late draft picks. Tell you what: #18, #49. 4th rnd this year, 2nd round next year for #3. 15 minutes on the clock. Neither Williams nor Johnson is gonna make it to #7 . . . tick tock. . . What do you say?

Question
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accept your terms and we'll throw in Bennett too, just for good measure. We take Mike Williams at #3 and if Johnson is gone at #7 as you say, we take one of these players in the this order Merriman-Benson-Cadillac-Carlos Rogers. One of them will surely be left.

Thanks for playing along.
truebrownsfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope never trade that low 7 a second and 1st next year...how much do you want them...lol
Dawgpoundcrazy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also apologize for the name calling. If it were gameday all is fair but on an internet forum it isn't needed.
You'll never get Williams and DJ if the brown were to trade down it would be for both of your 1st rd picks and that is probably the only way I see it happening
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I would want to move down 15 spots.

18, 49, and next year's first rounder. Too much you say? Not enough I say.

The dropoff in talent from 3 to 18 warrants a lot of compensation.

I honestly don't see how you could trade up without giving up the 7.
Dawgpoundcrazy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a drop happening for the Browns if they don't want a qb right off becasue who knows after the 3rd pick but it wouldn't be with out getting the 7th pick, sorrytoburst your bubble
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
#18 pick (First Round)
#49 pick (Second Round)
5th Round Pick
7th Round Pick
RB Michael Bennett

I actually dont understand why that would be bad.. it is def. unrealistic.. but we would get a speed back... a good young safety... we would draft a corner probably then get 2 2nd round picks for Blackstock and Adam Terry, then draft Nugent in the 3rd (sorry, I had to throw him in) and go on from there.... That's really not bad... it would just be costly to us...

This is called TRUTH!

Rest In Peace David, Renee and Joe (Crakburn)
ClevelanDawg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

give us your #7, #49 and next year's number one, for our #3 and the chance to draft Mike. That or your 2 first rounders . . .

How bad fo you want him . . . .he wont get by the Titans with Chw @6, you dont want to trade extra picks to Chicago, and Tampa already said that they would take him @ 5. So, its us our the Dolphins . . . . . and 2 os worth more than 3 . . . . . Im just sayin
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
give us your #7, #49 and next year's number one, for our #3 and the chance to draft Mike. That or your 2 first rounders . . .

there is no way... the trade that he proposed is legit, I dont see anything wrong with it...

This is called TRUTH!

Browns...Someday

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is everyone thinking that min. wants to trade. they have # 7. Let's do the math of the positions likely to go in the top 10:

2 WR
3 RB
2 LB
2 CB
2 QB

Unless, 2 WR, 3 RB, 1 LB, 1 QB go off of the board w/out any CB's or A. Rogers being selected, Min. will get someone that they want and will make a huge difference.

MIN. IS NOT GOING TO TRADE. Just do the math and think, would we want to trade up? No, b/c we would know that we could get two good players with one of them being an superb impact.

Of course, if they do, I stand corrected.
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if they do.... of course

This is called TRUTH!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: