Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Williams vs. Edwards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Williams vs. Edwards Reply with quote

Hey guys, just thought that this might be an interesting read. Both Reports were done by Football's Future Writer Robert Davis. Here I'll post them so you dont have to go looking for them yourselves.

Braylon Edwards:

Michigan has a long line of producing excellent receivers, and Edwards is the latest. Edwards has had an excellent career at Michigan, and may end up being the best receiver stat wise the school has ever had. He's already the school's all time reception leader, and is very close to breaking the yardage and touchdown marks this year. During his true sophomore year, he hauled in 67 catches for 1,035 yards, and 9 touchdowns. He followed that up last year with even better numbers, grabbing 85 passes for 1,138 yards and 14 TD's. He was close to declaring last year, but made the wise choice of returning to school, and is having an awesome senior campaign, definitely boosting his draft stock.

Edwards has very good size, and uses it well to make catches. He can go across the middle to make the tough catch, and he can go up and get the ball in the red zone to make the play. He specializes in making the spectacular grab. He consistently makes the touch catch look easy, and has made a lot of big plays for Michigan during his career. Edwards also has solid speed, and can get deep and outrun defenders to make the big play. Physically, he's got it all - Tall, strong, and has good speed.

Edwards does have a couple traits that knock him down a bit further than his natural skill might have him going. While Edwards can make the big catch, he often drops the easy one. It has been something that has plagued him his entire career, and still as a senior it's popped up from time to time. This is something that can be worked on, but to this point, Edwards still needs work in this area. Edwards doesn't always sell his routes the way he should, and often looks to make the catch look spectacular rather than just grabbing the ball and putting it away. He'll leave the ground on some passes that he doesn't need to, to make the catch look prettier.

While watching Braylon Edwards, I can't help but get a feeling that I am watching a Michigan game from a few years ago. Wearing the #1 jersey, standing 6'3, and possessing a variety of football skill, Edwards looks a lot like former Wolverine David Terrell. Terrell hasn't quite lived up to his hype, but he has flashed potential, and Edwards has the same type of game and potential as Terrell. If he learns to stay within himself and just make the routine play when it presents himself, Edwards can become a great NFL wide receiver. I expect to see his name come off the board in the first round come April, possibly in the first 15 picks.

vs.

Mike Williams:

Mike Williams is a truly unique talent. In just two seasons at USC, he became the schoolís all time leader in touchdown catches with 30, and ranks 4th on the all time reception list with 176. There may not be a better physical specimen in the entire draft.

Williams decided to declare for the draft after the Maurice Clarett situation, and it ended up costing him football this season. He was not allowed to enter the draft and was not allowed back in by the NCAA. Williams did hold a workout for NFL scouts last year, and by most accounts, it was very impressive. Williams checked in at 6í4 5/8Ē and 228 pounds, while also posting a 4.56 40 time and a 37Ē vertical jump.

On the football field, very few play as hard and physical as Williams. He is unique because his biggest asset as a football player is his physical nature and strength, which is not what you typically see in a wide receiver. He is not afraid to go over the middle, and will make the difficult grab look routine. There is not a corner in football that can stop Williams in a one on one situation. With his combination of size, jumping ability, and strength, Williams will win out 9 times out of 10 against even the most physical of corners in the league. Williams gets off the line easy, as he has excellent use of his hands, and the strength allows him to toss aside the corner before he can be neutralized. If there is a receiver with better hands than Williams, I havenít seen him play yet. Mike is going to be a major force in the red zone from his first snap in an NFL game. Mike also happens to be a very good blocker in the run game, and runs very precise routes. He works very hard on every aspect of the game, and it shows on the football field.

The only knock I can see with Williams is his lack of pure deep speed. He does not possess great speed, but it is not something that will hold him back in the NFL. With his size and jumping ability, he can be a downfield threat. USC utilized him a lot on wide receiver screens, and on routes underneath that allowed him to rack up yards after the catch. Heíll never be considered a blazer, but he is not slow by any means. Some people believe the layoff will hurt Williams, but I do not believe it will. Heís a hard worker, and will be working on every facet of his game for NFL teams. He takes a very mature approach to football, and he will be ready come training camp.

I see Williams as a bigger, more athletic version of Cris Carter. All he does is catch touchdowns, and at 6í5 230, heís going to catch a lot of them. As long as Williams duplicates the numbers he posted in workouts last year, he will be the first wide receiver off the board in this draft.

Sounds like the guy likes Williams better, which is why I would LOVE to draft Williams over Edwards.

"You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they donít play together, the club wonít be worth a dime."--Babe Ruth
MidwayMonsterz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are going for a Top WR, I hope they go with Williams or Williamson (if they trade down) and stay away from Edwards. There are just too many comparisons to Terrell.

I still think by adding Moose they are going to turn their attention to a RB or pick up DJ with #4.
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I hope not, we still need offensive power, a RB won't do us any good. T.Jones is an awesome RB, mark my words draft Williams or be sorry.

"You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they donít play together, the club wonít be worth a dime."--Babe Ruth
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a shot in hell that they take DJ with the fourth pick - ain't happenin. The only way they take an RB is if Brown is still there - which I doubt. Then it's a toss up as to who Angelo likes better that day... Williams or Edwards.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michigan's long list of receiver's? Name one. Michigan has a reputation for busted receivers. Besides Edwards, Desmond Howard has been the only other all american receiver back in 1991. There is no argument between the two receivers; it's Williams by far.

Edwards through 4 years at Michigan: 252 rec 3541 yds 39 tds
Impressive stats but nothing compared to Williams if he stayed through four years ( college receivers stats increase each year they play so I used the increase from his fresh to soph year and calculated his four year total)

Williams projected four year total: 408 rec 5354 yds 68 tds

Angelo will make Williams his #4 pick. He was the only GM to personnally attend his workout last year, and he attended again this year with coaching staff in hand. The RB talk is a smokescreen. Muhammed's deal is set up so Angelo can cut him after 3 years (the time it will take a rookie WR to acclimate to the NFL).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: