Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

question about the draft?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brotherdew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: question about the draft? Reply with quote

New to the board and I have a question regarding the draft?

Do you guys know if Seattle has any interest in Matt Jones from Arkansas? The guy could offer Seattle a lot of opportunities on offense. He could be a credible backup for Hassleback and a viable wr or tight end option. He's projected to go 4th or 5th round, maybe the Seahawks need to give him a look.
SuperHawk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt is an odd duck. He's too big to be a WR. But he's too small to be an NFL TE. And he's rocket fast and tall.

Based on his raw skills and versatility, he's worth something there on potential alone. I'd be surprised to see him slip beyond the bottom of the third or the top of the fourth round...more likely he'll be an early 3rd round pick...he might even slide up to the second if someone has a need for his skills.

An innovative offensive coordinator would try to get him involved in the running game. He's big enough to punish CBs with his blocks.

And he's tall enough and fast enough to be a deep threat.

I think the knock on him is that larger WRs sometimes lack a little in the "nimble" category...the ability to really change directions quickly and get seperation quickly. That might limit his ability to be a short threat on anything but a slant, etc. He might be okay on outs and hooks against slower CBs because they will need to give him some cushion or he's going to run by them.

My thought is that he would be a good fit on a team that uses the WCO and has a QB that can also throw deep. He might also fit well on a team like the Raiders who have a more specialized deep game.

Seattle does use the WCO but we're not much of a deep throwing team so that would negate part of his advantage. Hass is good but he's not exactly the best deep passer in the NFL.

If somehow he slipped to the 4th round, I think it would be well worth the risk in my view to take him. Might be good value for us in the 3rd. I wouldn't risk a second rounder on him because I don't think he's that great of a fit for our offense.
brotherdew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the honest opinion. I must admit, i'm a homer for Matt. Being a Seahawks fan in Arkansas is difficult. I do agree with you on when he would be a viable pick for the Seahawks. There is a need for WR but there are better receivers out there at the 2nd and maybe even the 3rd round. I haven't seen his results from the Arkansas pro day, but I do know that there has been 2 coaches that are interested in him, one of them likes him as a qb.

I think he would make a dangerous threat as at the rb position. I've watched him run out of the backfield for 4 years and that is how he won games for the Hogs. He isn't built like a typical rb, but he has speed and he will run over you as well as make you miss. The only thing is that he hasn't got any experience at that position. He played wr all through highschool until his senior year and then moved to qb. He learned the qb position pretty quickly and I think that he could do the same in any position.
Wazzu-'hawk_fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: KR, gunner, S? Reply with quote

Can Jones return kicks? Mo Morris works there, but a kick returner wouldn't hurt and it sounds like Matt has the skills to do that. He also looks like the prototypical special-teams gunner.
To me Jones is sounding eerily like an Eric Crouch in-waiting. With his size and speed, safety seems like a logical position for him to land in and the Seahawks don't have a need there.
immuhguy10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jones is too tall to return kicks...too much body...and fast, not quick like u need a kick returner...i hope the hawks dont draft him...i dont want a guy that we dont know exactly what to do with...
brotherdew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really expect him to go to Seattle but as an arkansas native I would love to be able to continue cheering for him. It looks like he may go to Dallas or Tampa Bay. Gruden spoke very highly of him at the Senior Bowl and the Dallas fans feel he is a homer seeing as how he is from the region. No one has mentioned him on the defensive side of the ball, but why not he can run and he's not afraid to hit someone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: