Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickelpete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Vikings draft Reply with quote

I have been watching this forum and notice the current consensus seems to be that everyone hopes that either Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards or Derrick Johnson will fall to the Vikings at #7.
What about Shawne Merriman?
I have been watching the reports on this guy. He is currently projected as a classic "tweener." Possibly an end in a 4-3 or an OLB in a 3-4 but I've also read reports that he has the speed and intelligence to play either a strong or weakside backer role in a 4-3 like the Vikings play. He had a great combine, is big and fast, and currently moving rapidly up draft boards (with some outside predictions feeling he could go as high as #3 to Cleveland).
I'm thinking Shawne Merriman could be a great pick for the Vikes at #7. Everyone obviously thinks he would be a DE if the Vikes draft he, but I think, while perhaps more "raw" than a Derrick Johnson, Merriman could potentially be a better OLB for us (particularly as the reports are that some people are leary of Derrick Johnson's ability to shed blockers and conform to a defensive system that doesn't allow him to freelance.)

So here's my question. What do y'all think of a Vikes LB core of weakside LB Merriman, MLB Henderson, strongside LB Harris...
(I guess if someone knows for certain whether Nap Harris is slated to play outside or middle, I'd appreciate it...)
Helter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done much homework on him I only know what you and others here have posted ...
tongtonk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Merriman would be a great pickup.

I still think he is #4 on my list of picks at #7.

1. DJ
2. Williams
3. Edwards
4. Merriman

TONGTONK
tdub

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merriman shouldnt go any earlier than 11, so we could theoritcally trade down

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theroetically, but the Draft is not predictable, otherwise we wouldn't be here...Digest that...

VIKINGS+DJ=SUPER BOWL TITLE
common cents

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the seven pick this my my personal value board seeing what the vikings have...

1. derrick johnson
2. mike williams
3. ronnie brown
4. shawn merriman
5. braylon edwards
Helter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

other than RB any of those would work
thomas davis maybe at 18
SKOL_VIKES

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need T. Davis anymore with darren Sharper coming in.

Dynamite will play the Sam.

Merriman would be a real good pickup, but take a look at Channing Crowder. He is the Mike from Florida and I just don't trust EJ in the middle.

DJ would still be gold at the seven.

Props to VIKES 4 LIFE on the sig
common cents

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark my words surrond EJ with decent actual nfl quality players...give him some more coaching...and he will be a beast...
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with cents here. EJ needed last year to learn, but with the Williams' and Udeze at full strength, EJ should be able to roam like Urlacher did with Washington in front of him.

As for Merriman, I think the guy's an animal -- a playmaker. He'll make rookie mistakes wherevere a team puts him, but by mid season, he'll figure it out. The guy could be as successful as Terrell Suggs, Freeney, or Chris Doleman their rookie years.

Right about now I'm thinking how well Millard, Doleman, Thomas and Noga did as a D-line - - - - what do ya think Studwell's making his draft decisions on?

Oh, one last thought, we still need a stud safety - Davis would be a major improvement for depth.
nickelpete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
Oh, one last thought, we still need a stud safety - Davis would be a major improvement for depth.

Couldn't agree with you more. All signs point to the fact that he should be available for us at #18. With Sharper and Chavous starting he will provide necessary depth while he learns the defense and, who knows, if he catches on quickly could be starting by end of the year. Either way, he'd be a beautiful long term solution at strong safety. (I think both Sharper and Chavous are more suited to be free safety.)
common cents

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want davis bad with the 18th pick...almost as bad as i want derrick johnson with the 7th...
Serick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Davis Reply with quote

I also want Davis. I agree that both Chavous and Sharper are best at FS. Davis can give us that intimidation factor that is needed to keep WR's from running those crossing patterns. For me, I'd rather see my defense clean another team's clock than watch a Randy Moss bomb. I miss the good old days - the days when I waited for our offense to be on the field to get a beer or run to the bathroom, cuz I didn't want to miss a play with the defense. Thomas Davis is a guy that can bring that back to me.

He'd fit well in a backup role for a year or two, then can come in and deliver serious defense.
Helter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKOL_VIKES wrote:
Don't need T. Davis anymore with darren Sharper coming in..

still need someone to t back them up and learn the ropes , sharper if can get it done this season is still not as young as he was

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: