Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Aaron Morgan, DE, ULM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reality_Check

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Aaron Morgan, DE, ULM Reply with quote

Morgan has recorded five sacks through the first three games to go along with his 15 tackles . I know what youíre thinking -- Morgan is just another small-school guy beating up on weaker competition early in the year. Not exactly. Morgan has faced off vs. Texas, Texas Southern and Arizona State on a Louisiana-Monroe defense that only plays with three down linemen. Plus, heís only a 20-year-old senior...

Anyone seen him live? Got any insight?
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big problem for him, he is listed at 6-4, 224, but reports do have him at around 235. Still far too small to be a DE or a 3-4 OLB.

He apparently runs in the 4.6 range. He plays in the 3 point stance and any success in the NFL would need bulking up, major position change or both.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Reality_Check

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Big problem for him, he is listed at 6-4, 224, but reports do have him at around 235. Still far too small to be a DE or a 3-4 OLB.

He apparently runs in the 4.6 range. He plays in the 3 point stance and any success in the NFL would need bulking up, major position change or both.

Very true. Of course he is only 20, which does lend credence to the thought that he could bulk up...

Everything I have on him suggests 4-3 end in the pros is his position, but it is immensly harder for me to get a lot of legit firsthand info here in Kuwait, than it has been for me in the states in years past...
ROBERTFREEMAN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the fact you are in Kuwait and I'm assuming you're a military man I will find every thing I can on him.
DemYankees2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaron Morgan, DE, ULM Reply with quote

Reality_Check wrote:
Morgan has recorded five sacks through the first three games to go along with his 15 tackles . I know what youíre thinking -- Morgan is just another small-school guy beating up on weaker competition early in the year. Not exactly. Morgan has faced off vs. Texas, Texas Southern and Arizona State on a Louisiana-Monroe defense that only plays with three down linemen. Plus, heís only a 20-year-old senior...

If you're going to say it word for word, at least give the man who read this all from the props.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Scouts-notebook-defensive-review-5434.html
Quote:
Small-school hybrid on the rise

It isnít often we get to talk Louisiana-Monroe football, but the play of defensive end Aaron Morgan certainly deserves mention. Morgan has recorded five sacks through the first three games to go along with his 15 tackles and has been a real difference maker for the Warhawks up front. I know what youíre thinking -- Morgan is just another small-school guy beating up on weaker competition early in the year. Not exactly. Morgan has done his damage vs. Texas, Texas Southern and Arizona State on a Louisiana-Monroe defense that only plays with three down linemen. Itís still early, but if Morgan can keep up this type of play, he could end up hearing his name called on draft day. Plus, heís only a 20-year-old senior and still possesses a lot of upside to his game.

He ran in the 4.9's coming out of High School, and he was in the 200's back then. He's at 6-4 235 lbs. now. He reminds me a lot of former UL-M Defensive End Brandon Guillory. Guillory was athletic, more athletic then Morgan in my opinion, but was dominated at the Point, struggled mightily against the run, and was just pushed around too much. Morgan is very similar in that aspect. Sure, his athletic ability is nice, and he shows good lateral quickness, agility, and moves from sideline-to-sideline in pursuit fairly well, but it isn't at an elite level where it can cover up his obvious flaws. The guy is an above average athlete and I'd only take a 7th Round flier on him. Unless he posts much better workout numbers then I expect or have heard, then I doubt he gets drafted. His age is a nice thing as well, but not that big of a deal. Situational Pass Rusher only.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaron Morgan, DE, ULM Reply with quote

DemYankees2 wrote:
Reality_Check wrote:

If you're going to say it word for word, at least give the man who read this all from the props.
Quote:

It isnít often we get to talk Louisiana-Monroe football, but the play of defensive end Aaron Morgan certainly deserves mention. Morgan has recorded five sacks through the first three games to go along with his 15 tackles and has been a real difference maker for the Warhawks up front. I know what youíre thinking -- Morgan is just another small-school guy beating up on weaker competition early in the year. Not exactly. Morgan has done his damage vs. Texas, Texas Southern and Arizona State on a Louisiana-Monroe defense that only plays with three down linemen. Itís still early, but if Morgan can keep up this type of play, he could end up hearing his name called on draft day. Plus, heís only a 20-year-old senior and still possesses a lot of upside to his game.

He ran in the 4.9's coming out of High School, and he was in the 200's back then. He's at 6-4 235 lbs. now. He reminds me a lot of former UL-M Defensive End Brandon Guillory. Guillory was athletic, more athletic then Morgan in my opinion, but was dominated at the Point, struggled mightily against the run, and was just pushed around too much. Morgan is very similar in that aspect. Sure, his athletic ability is nice, and he shows good lateral quickness, agility, and moves from sideline-to-sideline in pursuit fairly well, but it isn't at an elite level where it can cover up his obvious flaws. The guy is an above average athlete and I'd only take a 7th Round flier on him. Unless he posts much better workout numbers then I expect or have heard, then I doubt he gets drafted. His age is a nice thing as well, but not that big of a deal. Situational Pass Rusher only.

http://www.football.com/articles.php?aId=900

An article on him...

Quote:
Morgan is 6- 4 and currently approaching fall camp at 235 pounds with growth potential and a lot of talent as a pass rusher

Quote:
One of Morgan's strengths is his feet. He has remarkable footwork to play the run or the pass. That gives him the ability to get off the ball more quickly on the line of scrimmage. He is a quick twitch athlete.

Quote:
He was timed in the spring at a pretty impressive 4.6 in the forty. He has improved his time since then thanks to an explosive first step.

Not sure what that means for him, but no doubt the kid needs to bulk up to be a pass rusher on the next level, then again was Marcus Howard not 235 at the combine and the Colts drafted him??

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
DemYankees2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaron Morgan, DE, ULM Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
DemYankees2 wrote:
Reality_Check wrote:

Quote:

http://www.football.com/articles.php?aId=900

An article on him...

Quote:
Morgan is 6- 4 and currently approaching fall camp at 235 pounds with growth potential and a lot of talent as a pass rusher

Quote:
One of Morgan's strengths is his feet. He has remarkable footwork to play the run or the pass. That gives him the ability to get off the ball more quickly on the line of scrimmage. He is a quick twitch athlete.

Quote:
He was timed in the spring at a pretty impressive 4.6 in the forty. He has improved his time since then thanks to an explosive first step.

Not sure what that means for him, but no doubt the kid needs to bulk up to be a pass rusher on the next level, then again was Marcus Howard not 235 at the combine and the Colts drafted him??

Howard ran a 4.45 and put up 27 Bench Reps of 225 lbs. He also had 10.5 Sacks his Senior Season while playing in the SEC. And, Howard isn't even on the Colts anymore after getting selected in the 5th Round. If a much more physically gifted player who was groomed at a top program couldn't get the job done, hard for me to believe Morgan can.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: