Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen

Ayinger, another German import from Aying Germany. They are mostly known for their Hefe-Weizen (an exceptional version of a Hefe) and their Dopplebock (Celebrator, one of the best), but also produce an Oktoberfest in the fall.

It is a little stronger than the typical German Oktoberfest. There is very little discernable hopping. The malt is amber with a strong spicyness.

Though it follows the German Purity Law, it has a lot of Hefe-Weizen like notes. The yeast leaves a strong tint to the flavor, this beer has a lot of partial fermentation esters.

This beer is not nearly as drinkable as the typical German Oktoberfest, and the presence of the esters means that heavy drinking would probably lead to a hideous hangover. But it is a different take on a traditional Oktoberfest so worth a try. Hefe-Weizen fans especially should give it a try.

Grade: 6.0

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
wstussyb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was shopping last night for some beer, seen a small keg up for sell, so I bought it, Oberon. So I called a friend that was coming over he told me to buy a orange and put slices like you do with Lime for Corona.

Great tasting beer from the keg or tap, my friend said the bottles are not as good.

Also, if you guys want a wider range of beer that has been tasted, I recommend http://beeradvocate.com/ I go there sometimes before I go to a new city to see what they offer.
Waldo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bells Octoberfest

Bells is a mid size microbrewery located in Michigan. Overall their lineup is solid from top to bottom.

Their Octoberfest is definitely an Americanized version. The malt has the flavor of American malt, and the hops have the flavor of American hops. The flavor is not as delicate as a continental Octoberfest, instead the flavors are more bold. It is a medium strength beer.

The malt flavor is the prominent flavor, and it is a spicy amber. The flavors are clove and pumpkin like, with some sweetness. It is not a spiced beer, rather that is the flavor of the grain.

It is well balanced by the hops, which are of the bittering variety. The hops are not a strong part of the flavor profile, but they are noticeable.

IMO this is what fall tastes like in American beer. This is an outstanding example of an American Octoberfest. Not quite as drinkable as a German Oktoberfest, but an overall bolder flavor. But it isn't sipping beer and is very drinkable.

Grade - 8.7

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Fifty-3Titans

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave2742 wrote:
What is everyone's thought on Landshark? To me, it is a much better version of Corona.

Also, has anyone had O'so beer out of Pulver, WI? It is a newer beer and I just got some.

I like landshark, but for my money I would rather have Modello Especial. Love that beer.
Bengals_09

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interactive guide for people that don't know the difference between Lager, Wheat Beer and Ales.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/flatpages/entertainment/beer.html?cmpid=2628
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest the other day; not very good. Too heavily hopped for my tastes, and it's a bit more bitter than I think it should be.

I also finally found Guinness 250th Anniversary and bought it. Boy, was that a disappointment. It was good enough, but a little too plain and it definitely isn't something I'd get excited about.

Waldo wrote:
Bells is a mid size microbrewery located in Michigan. Overall their lineup is solid from top to bottom.

I absolutely love Bell's Brewery. I'll be buying their Oktoberfest pretty soon.

wstussyb wrote:
Was shopping last night for some beer, seen a small keg up for sell, so I bought it, Oberon. So I called a friend that was coming over he told me to buy a orange and put slices like you do with Lime for Corona.

Great tasting beer from the keg or tap, my friend said the bottles are not as good.

Oberon is Bell's flagship beer. It's a wheat beer with very subtle fruit flavor to it; it's more subtle than Blue Moon, but a similar style. It's definitely something you need to sip on, though, and it has to be cold; if it gets a little warm or you drink it too fast, it can be pretty gross.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Löwenbräu Original

Grade: 7.5

I have this in my fridge right now. I tried it, and I'd have to say your review and grade are pretty spot-on. It's not great, but it's a good, drinkable beer with surprisingly substantial flavor for its color and thinness.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Bucky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:

I absolutely love Bell's Brewery. I'll be buying their Oktoberfest pretty soon.

I, too would recommend picking up Bell's Octoberfest. I found it on tap at one of the bars around here and I agree with Waldo's high 8 ranking for it. It's a very good beer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/130/6590/?sort=topr&start=0

Anybody ever tried this?

2014 Adopt a Titan:
Bernard Pollard #31
Marc Mariani #83 - CUT
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/130/6590/?sort=topr&start=0

Anybody ever tried this?

mr.drew did a lovely a review on it here

RaiderX with the assist^^
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried Fuller's london porter... not impressed at all. was nasty tasting, and didn't have much flavor. I literally just dumped the glass out. first time I've ever done that.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Matts4313

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the stone 13 yr anniversary - and I think I'm a better man for it. Talk about hoppy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
Just tried Fuller's london porter... not impressed at all. was nasty tasting, and didn't have much flavor. I literally just dumped the glass out. first time I've ever done that.

I had it a while back (I had to--I mean, it's my namesake . . .) but I don't remember much of it. It was just when I was starting to try out more expensive beers. I don't remember not liking it . . . though it's possible it sat on the shelf and kind of went bad on you before you bought it.

It gets good reviews elsewhere.

MrDrew wrote:

ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
I had the stone 13 yr anniversary - and I think I'm a better man for it. Talk about hoppy.

good, good stuff man, i've been drinking that for the past month or so. and you're absolutely right about the hops, one of the hoppiest beers i've ever had.

RaiderX with the assist^^
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
scar988 wrote:

I had it a while back (I had to--I mean, it's my namesake . . .) but I don't remember much of it. It was just when I was starting to try out more expensive beers. I don't remember not liking it . . . though it's possible it sat on the shelf and kind of went bad on you before you bought it.

It gets good reviews elsewhere.
sounds like it. but it just kind of tasted like an old spoiled milk with carbonation. and it's the 3rd porter I've had, but it didn't taste nearly as good as the other 2.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 42 of 100

Jump to: