Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:

I'm not a fan of Heineken whatsoever. If you ask me it's really no better than Budweiser, plus the fact that it comes in a green bottle means it gets skunky way too easily. It's probably better on-tap or in a can, but I can't say I've ever been overly impressed with it.

i feel the same way about heineken, never had one that i've enjoyed and I've had it on tap. i too don't see much of a difference between it and bud.

just had a lagunitas little sumpin sumpin ale, sooo delicious that i don't feel like writing a review. i'll just say it's about an 8.

RaiderX with the assist^^
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright guys, my 21st is on wednesday, any beer I should try this weekend for sure outside of the Sam Smith Oatmeal stout I'm having on Wednesday?

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
dave2742

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is everyone's thought on Landshark? To me, it is a much better version of Corona.

Also, has anyone had O'so beer out of Pulver, WI? It is a newer beer and I just got some.

-Props to Waldo!
Willink wrote:
I'd give Rodgers a standing ovation if I saw him buying groceries.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave2742 wrote:
What is everyone's thought on Landshark? To me, it is a much better version of Corona.

Also, has anyone had O'so beer out of Pulver, WI? It is a newer beer and I just got some.

I've never had either. Well, actually I think I did have some Landshark at a bar once because it was on special and I had never had it. Didn't leave any impression on me, I guess. But the fact that it's a lager brewed by Anheuser-Busch leads me to believe it probably isn't any good.

O'so, never heard of it. But based on their website it looks like they're actually trying to be good since they have over a dozen different types of beer on the market. What kind did you get?

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
alright guys, my 21st is on wednesday, any beer I should try this weekend for sure outside of the Sam Smith Oatmeal stout I'm having on Wednesday?

Try a Rogue Dead Guy. One of my personal favorites.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
dave2742 wrote:

I've never had either. Well, actually I think I did have some Landshark at a bar once because it was on special and I had never had it. Didn't leave any impression on me, I guess. But the fact that it's a lager brewed by Anheuser-Busch leads me to believe it probably isn't any good.

O'so, never heard of it. But based on their website it looks like they're actually trying to be good since they have over a dozen different types of beer on the market. What kind did you get?
I got The Big O, Hopidinger, Rusty Red and Night Train. So far, I have only tried the Big O. There are a lot of different flavors mixed in but it is a very solid light beer.

Also, try Landshark out and give me your thoughts. I realize it is owned by a large beer but I think it has to be the best made beer in Florida.

My personal favorite is Leinie's, and I really prefer Honeyweiss. I really haven't found a beer like it.

-Props to Waldo!
Willink wrote:
I'd give Rodgers a standing ovation if I saw him buying groceries.
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to review more when I drink. I'm in the midst of a hardcore Oktoberfest tour as football season has drawn near.

Some thoughts:

Paulaner - Defines the style.
Left Hand - Light for an American. Decent flavor, definitely not elite ingredients
Sam Adams - More like a DoppleMarzen than a true Oktoberfest
Spaten - Light. Kinda blah. Good session beer.
Warsteiner - See review below.

Also got some Spaten Helles going.

Of all the German stuff I've had as of late, Lowenbrau Original is my favorite everyday beer (like a slightly less hoppy Urquell), but you can't go wrong with any offering by Weihenstephaner. I especially like their fest beer.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Last edited by Waldo on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warsteiner Oktoberfest

Warsteiner is imported from Germany. Like Becks, they make an Oktoberfest, however are not part of the big 6 of Munich breweries (Lowenbrau, Spaten, Hofbrauhaus, Hacker-Pschorr, Paulaner, Augustinerbrau) that are part of the official Oktoberfest celebration. Warsteiner's Oktoberfest is a light amber version of the style (Marzen). It is a bit lighter in malt flavor than the typical Oktoberfest, however it still has the higher alcohol content (5.9%). It is well carbonated for the style.

Warsteiner is hopped a little bit more than you typically see out of an Oktoberfest. The hops used have the distinct flavor of continental noble hops. It is very German tasting. I like how the hops balances the strogn malt flavor moreso than you typically see in an Oktoberfest, which tend to be malt overload, especially the American varieties.

The big difference between the American and German versions IMO is approach. American Oktoberfests are specialty styles. Most of the American breweries rarely even make Lagers, and they don't have the means for the highly complex German brewing process (Multiple Decoction mashing and Krausening). They tend to be mid gravity amber lagers that are lightly hopped. German Oktoberfests are meant for celebrations. It is session beer, party beer. American versions have a hard time pulling that off, they tend more toward sipping beers.

Grade: 7.1

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Last edited by Waldo on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total
paulthom23

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave2742 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
dave2742 wrote:

I got The Big O, Hopidinger, Rusty Red and Night Train. So far, I have only tried the Big O. There are a lot of different flavors mixed in but it is a very solid light beer.

Also, try Landshark out and give me your thoughts. I realize it is owned by a large beer but I think it has to be the best made beer in Florida.

My personal favorite is Leinie's, and I really prefer Honeyweiss. I really haven't found a beer like it.

landshark is delicious! i downed at least eight of them last night at all you can eat crab night at a local tavern.

Jeezy on the Sig!
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulaner Oktoberfest

Woooo, party beer.

If you were to define the Oktoberfest Style, this would definitely be the truest representation of the flavors of the style. Based in Munich, Paulaner is one of the main suppliers of Munich's Oktoberfest.

Oktoberfest is a malty amber brew that celebrates the harvest from the summer. It is typically lightly or moderately hopped with continental noble hops. Oktoberfest is pretty much the best that brewers have come up with to maximize hammering. It is a moderately strong brew, that is drinkable yet tasty. Everybody can find something they like in an Oktoberfest, it is a very universal style.

Paulaner's is a little stronger tasting than the typical German Oktoberfest, yet still lighter than many American varieties. It has the extremely drinkable qualities of a German Oktoberfest.

The malt sweetness is powerful, but not overbearing. It has a strong nutty-toasty flavor to go along with the sweetness. The sweetness is balanced by spicy noble hops. The hops are more noticeable than many American varieties (surprisingly, but Americans don't do noble well), but not as distinct as Warsteiner.

The malt flavor of Paulaner has a very long finish, with the nutty notes lingering a long time.

While it is possible to do Oktoberfest better IMO, you can not go wrong with Paulaner's offering.

Grade - 7.9

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried trois pistoles brewed by unibroue

it is awesome.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's 09/09/09 . . . everyone should drink one of these today:

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thought about doing the Magic Hat for my birthday. but I decided against it for a Fat Tire. the Fat tire was pretty damn good too. then at dinner I had a sam adams. saturday is the big beer tasting day though.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Buckrock101

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried some Tuatara Hefe (I think?) the other day at The Malthouse, just down the road, and it was daaaaaamn good. A lot better than my usual brand of $1 per can beer.

IrishGreen wrote:
buck comes thru in the clutch
McNabbMcFadden wrote:
All Hail Buckrock
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My birthday was last night, so I had:

1) Bell's Two Hearted Ale (IPA)
2) Magic Hat #9 ("Not Quite" Pale Ale)
3) Samuel Adams Oktoberfest (Marzen)
4) Dragonmead Final Absolution (Trippel)
5) Tommyknocker Maple Brown Ale (Brown Ale)

That Final Absolution is about 10.7% alcohol on tap and it was a 23 oz glass, so drinking that in and of itself was like downing a six pack. It got me pretty drunk.

MrDrew wrote:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 41 of 100

Jump to: