Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tooki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys get any Australian Beer?
Waldo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:
ill take some Sweetwater 420 or some Terrapin here in Athens

I love those Terrapin specialties. Each one has been really good.

A few weeks ago they did a team brew (Farmhouse Ale) with the 5 Seasons Brewpub at the Prado here in Atlanta, and had a special event serving it. Terrapin's brewer is a cool guy, I got a chance to chat with him for a bit.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:

I've had a Fosters Oil Can in the past, long ago. Not the biggest fan. I like Australia's wine much more than the beer (Au wines are my fave).

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Tooki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Tooki wrote:

I've had a Fosters Oil Can in the past, long ago. Not the biggest fan. I like Australia's wine much more than the beer (Au wines are my fave).

Ah ok, I was hoping it was something really bad like XXXX or Victorian Bitter Smile.

The Wine is good, I'm not a big fan though.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up a bottle of Ale Smith's Speedway Stout. It's rated #5 on RateBeer's top 50. They only had some out of the cooler, so it's in the fridge now. I don't think I've ever been this excited to crack open a beer.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:

I got some Foster's a few times. Not a very big fan at all.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Just picked up a bottle of Ale Smith's Speedway Stout. It's rated #5 on RateBeer's top 50. They only had some out of the cooler, so it's in the fridge now. I don't think I've ever been this excited to crack open a beer.

I know the feeling. For years I've done this thing where I get a special beer to crack during the pregame and first part of the game for every Packer game that is televised in the fall (often I have to go to sports bars, I don't do it then). I always get singles for this occasion.

Money is no object. I get the best I can find. I've found a lot of great stuff this way. One season I did the Trappist tour. I'm always giddy to crack that beer each week (not to mention the football game fast approaching).

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrapin Maggie's Farmhouse Ale

Terrapin is one of the better breweries located in the SE US. Based in Athens, Ga, they are mostly known for their Rye Pale Ale. They have a side project series going, 22 oz bottles of big beer styles they don't normally brew.

This one is lighter than their usual side project beer (in body and color), but a very big recipe. It uses Barley, Wheat, Rye, and Oat malts. The yeast leaves a fruity/spicy flavor, typical of the Farmhouse/Saison style, and it is highly carbonated. The hops are there, but take a back seat to the other flavors. It is a cloudy beer.

There is a good amount of complexity. The light flavor and mouthfeel of the oats. The distinctive wheat flavor. A highly flavored yeast (similar to Belgian styles) that leans more clove than banana. It has a nuttyness. There is some hop flavor there if you look for it. This beer has a lot of flavors.

I don't necessarily feel that more flavors makes beer better. Usually the highly flavored beers take time to merge the flavors into a whole product. Here there is a lot competing for your attention, without a focus. This style is a young style though, so it wouldn't benefit from sitting for a while.

I like it. True to the style and drinkable. A different sort of wheat beer than the German or Belgian varieties, that deemphsizes the wheat a bit.

Grade: 7.7

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

I know the feeling. For years I've done this thing where I get a special beer to crack during the pregame and first part of the game for every Packer game that is televised in the fall (often I have to go to sports bars, I don't do it then). I always get singles for this occasion.

Money is no object. I get the best I can find. I've found a lot of great stuff this way. One season I did the Trappist tour. I'm always giddy to crack that beer each week (not to mention the football game fast approaching).

Well, I let myself down. I wound up taking it out of the fridge after a few minutes, and now I'm saving it until I get home on Sat/Sun. It's a large bottle (1.9 pints I think) and 12% ABV. I got excited by thinking I wasn't going anywhere, and then got the bad news broken to me by my wife that she made plans. Hopefully I make it home in time to watch the Chargers game, and to have it chilled too.

Waldo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innis & Gunn

This is my favorite beer.

If there is a single beer that could be called a "single malt" (reference to scotch), this is the one. It is an oak aged light Scottish ale, brewed in Edinburgh. It was named supreme champion of the 2004 IBC. It is not cheap, a small bottle will set you back at least $5. I got a larger one (~30 oz) that was $10. It is about 5% abv.

Unfortunately this beer comes in clear bottles. Always buy the one furthest back on the shelf, that has been exposed to the least amount of light, or get it at bars (they get cases and light levels are low). Unfortunately I have bought too many skunky ones. It is a delicate beer that is easily damaged.

Good scotches have a sweetness to them that isn't actually sweet (sweet gets fermented). The oak, the grain, it all combine to create it. Being a true Scottish ale, this beer uses the same malts that can be found in scotch. It has a honey/vanilla sweetness to it, balanced by moderate hops, and toffee notes from the caramelized malts. It is balanced by some bittering hops, but it isn't overpowering, there is no flavor/aroma hopping.

It is also balanced between weak and strong. It is not a heavy beer. Nor is it watery. It is sandwiched right in the middle, moderate strength and body. Unfortunately it is too drinkable.

If you like single malt scotches, find a fresh version of this beer. You will not be disappointed.

Grade: 9.0

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Founder's Dirty Bastard

This one is a scotch ale. The only one of its genre I've ever had, actually. This is a very strong beer (8.5% alcohol, which you can taste and smell in it) and is extremely malty. It is made from seven different types of malt.

Appearance-wise, it pours with a pretty thin head (at least in the pint glass I'm using) that's leaving no lacing. It's thick and dark brown/reddish in color; when held up to light, carbonation floats in it almost like a sediment (which is a little off-putting to me . . .). Dirty Bastard smells strongly of alcohol, molasses, chocolate, and smoke. The most pronounced flavors are caramel, molasses, and other such semi-sweet, earthy flavors such as nutmeg. It is pretty sweet until about halfway through, but finishes pretty bitter. Mouthfeel is pretty thick, with little carbonation.

All-in-all I'd say it's a good beer, but it's not particularly drinkable and it's much more of a sipping type of beer. It'll give you a buzz after just one of them (unless you're in the habit of drinking a six pack each day).

Overall Rating: 7.0

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few from Dogfish tonight.... I went back to the Lefthand and really enjoyed it. What an incredibly drinkable beer.
BobSacamano

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't got time for a full review right now.. But I really enjoyed Hoptober brewed by New Belgium. It isn't quite as hoppy as the name would seem to indicated, but it was a very good beer. Probably the only beer I've ever had from New Belgium that I liked.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
last year's vikings were far better than the packers team that just won
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Saison

Brewer: Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
Style: Saison/Brown Ale/Seasonal

My Review:
Pours a deep reddish brown, with a one finger white head. Nice lacing through the glass. Scent was roasted malt, caramel, very light hops, and a tart fruit. Taste started as a brown, roasted malt and light caramel, and finished like a saison, fruity and tart. Palate was medium.

One of the most interesting beers I've ever had. The two styles clashed, yet worked together well. Not a daily drinker, but something that would be nice every once in a while. Glad I found it while I was in CA.

My Score: 7.5

ninerminer49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't give a hoot what beer it is, long as I'm gettin' drunk. Except Keystone. Not Keystone Light. Just Keystone. Can't drink that at all. I didn't even know they made it until we sent someone on a beer run and they came back with a red box that might as well have said "CAUTION: Will cause temporary dislike of beer."

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 38 of 100

Jump to: