Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

tony dungy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrayce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: tony dungy Reply with quote

i think the colts should get jon gruden to finish the job then they will win a superbowl
America's Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

why does he always screw up in the playoffs, he's like the bobby cox of football
GulfBayWarriors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Dungy's was the architect of Tampa Super Bowl. Gruden is just horrible. Hes bringing in his players and look at Tampa now. Dungy might be another Schottenmeyer and cant win the big game.
bigred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Dungy but agree he has to go. I said when he was hired that they would never win a SB with him and he's only reinforced that belief every year.
inkwell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does getting beaten by a superior team qualify as "screwing up"? I was not behind the hiring of Dungy as I felt it gave them too many milquetoast personalities running the team but he has done a good job and the D has improved each year. Forget the rankings in terms of yards. LAst years defense was a Dungy D. It won the turnover battle consistently over the season if not the yardage battle. It did a decent job of bend but dont break. This team will not sacrifice offense for defense because their money players are all on o and to chip away at the supporting offensive cast would be silly as it would waste the investment in Peyton and Marvin and Edge. Once you accept their cap hits, you have to maximize your investment in them. The defense is doing what Dungy wants his defenses to do. The personnel is constantly tweaked and each season shows marginal improvement IMO. That is all we are going to get because if the team makes a huge move (let Edge go) it will detract from the teams strength and from the investment it has in its offensive stars. The defensive improvement would not make up for that. One of Peyton's most important attributes is his play faking. If you lose Edge, you take that weapon out of his arsenal. So you waste the money you pay Peyton if you dont have Edge. Likewise he is a master of using all the weapons at his disposal. So the more weapons you give him, the more he is worth to you and the more return you get from your investment in him. Dungy has this D playing the way he wants them. Now it will take Polian getting lucky with some player he picks turning into a dominant player unexpectedly. Short of that, Dungy is what is getting what we ARE getting defensively from a group that is handcuffed by the offensive spending.
racer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Inkwell that we should not get rid of Dungy. The team has improved vastly under him. However, I disagree with you that we should definitely keep Edge. Dominic Rhodes was very effective his rookie year. He tore his ACL the following year. This will be his 3rd season since the ACL tear so he should be fully recovered from that. I think Rhodes can be a very effective running back in the Colts offense agan.

The Colts have obvious holes at MLB and CB that must be addressed if we are going to have any chance at winning a championship. I don't think we should necessarily sign any big money defensive free agents, but I think the Colts need to take a serious look at signing some second tier defensive players via free agency.
inkwell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until we know for sure that someone is gonna make us an offer we cant refuse for Edge, I say keep him. I dont think Nique scares anyone. I think the Colts offense is predicated on Manning's play fakes and we need a RB who commands respect. Nique is solid, he catches the ball well enough, he works hard at pass protection and blitz pickup but he is a drop from Edge in all categories. With all the options at RB in draft and FA . . . I dont see anyone offering us enough to consider moving Edge.
andersong0857

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beware of possible Super Bowl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andersong0857

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bigred

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post ink and I generally agree, but quite disagree that the D is doing "what Dungy wants it to do" - and if that's true, he really does need to go. They are way too leaky. Still. And it's been that way for WAY too long. Being "not all that bad" isn't good enough. Not losing the game for us (generally) isn't good enough. We need a D that can take over an offense. One that doesn't have to count on Manning and Co. putting up a zillion TDs. And finally "bend but don't break" can still hurt us because it means it's that much less time our potent offense isn't on the field....

No easy answer IMO. Course if friggin Polian had done better with our top picks and a key FA or 2, this conversation might not even be happening...
inkwell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two points . . . first, I meant that the D is doing what Dungy wants, not necessarily as well as he wants. What I meant to say and wasnt clear on is that they have turned over the defensive personnel and instituted the Dungy D. THey still blitz more than he likes but all in all they play his STYLE of D now. The line penetrates and causes havoc. The LBs flow to the play. The backfield plays more cover 2 than they did early on. Now they can plug in one or two new starters a year and integrate them smoothly because the rest of the D is on the same page as the coach. They will NOT have a defense that can dominate an offense so if that is how you rate this coach, you will never be happy. We spend probably 2/3 of our resources (guaranteed money/cap room) on offense. How can our D be as dominant as our O? It is easy to say that our D should dominate but if you dont spend money there, and dont commit guaranteed bonus dollars there, it would take an incredible streak of luck to have the D become a dominant unit.
Second, I think the plan for this team is to spend the money to support the offensive stars as long as the cap situation doesnt crumble around them. I support this. Peyton is NOT a Michael Vick who can steal a game now and then without help. He needs protection, he needs a running attack to make his play action effective, etc. so if you dont give him these things, you waste much of the huge money you pay him. The strategy for this team is to win with offense. They are not gonna dominate defensively without spending money on bstar defenders. SO if they are to win, they need to score big and make enough plays defensively in a bend but dont break defense that they hold the other team to less points. It isnt '85 Bears football but it can win. It HAS won. If the Patriots are one of the best teams ever, and their record over 4 years supports that argument if not proves it, is it embarressing to always get knocked out by them? No matter how good the Baltimore Orioles are . . . what is the likelihood of them knocking out the two highest payrolls in baseball? Is that failure by the O's? Ditto for the Colts. One team has knocked them out of the playoffs year after year. Most years that team proved to be the best in football. Is that bad defense or bad timing? ok, ok, in this case it is both . . . tho you cant blame the D this year for sure! 3 points? grrrr

I also think it is hard to complain about Polian's draft record. I have my complaints with him, I would have done some things different . . . but Irsay hasnt asked me for my help yet Razz. Overall though his drafts have been pretty good IMO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: