Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 37590
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
Glad you like it.

I don't know that it would work that great for wine, since often the point is that the bottle express the field, each year producing a different quality.

Would probably work for liquor, then again I don't think that most drink liquor straight.


As a fellow homebrewer - Whats your thoughts on the Coopers? Am I way out in left field here?


I don't think that I've ever had Coopers. Though I do recall seeing it (different color packaging for the style, yellow for the stout correct?)


I forget the color. Did you make most of your stuff from scratch? The Coopers is a kit, you can sub the yeasties and add your own ingrediants to change it up.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SLCDallasFan


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 12816
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
SLCDallasFan wrote:
What do people think about Hefeweizen or other wheat beers?

I love them with a little lemon in them. I am more of a liquor man - love the jack and cokes - but I like that beer a lot.


Try them with an orange instead of a lemon. Its a nice change up.


I love wheat beers. Have you ever has a Tripel?

I've had the orange, It's good but I like the lemon more. Very Happy

I've never had a Trpel, would they have it at most bars?
_________________

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9730715#9730715
"I concur about SLC. He's either town or a mafia phenom." - VikingsFan51
-It was the latter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Waldo


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 22679
Location: The ATL
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
Glad you like it.

I don't know that it would work that great for wine, since often the point is that the bottle express the field, each year producing a different quality.

Would probably work for liquor, then again I don't think that most drink liquor straight.


As a fellow homebrewer - Whats your thoughts on the Coopers? Am I way out in left field here?


I don't think that I've ever had Coopers. Though I do recall seeing it (different color packaging for the style, yellow for the stout correct?)


I forget the color. Did you make most of your stuff from scratch? The Coopers is a kit, you can sub the yeasties and add your own ingrediants to change it up.


I do mine mostly from scratch.

I do a yeast starter for liquid yeast about 8-12 hours before I begin in a small flask with some extract.

My mash kettle can only handle about 4lb of grain, so I do partial mash beers, typically 3lb of pale malt with ~1 lb of color/flavor malt (I like the flavor of it when it is extracted with high enzyme pale malt), and then augment that with liquid or dry pale malt extract. After extracting I do the brewing as usual adding hops in my kettle, which is a 4 gallon.

I have 3 fermenters, the primary, secondary, and a 3rd half size fermenter that I can use to set aside half of really strong batches for a few more months for conditioning (also a good time to add oak chips).

I used to keg in college, but now I bottle all of it.
_________________

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 37590
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLCDallasFan wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
SLCDallasFan wrote:
What do people think about Hefeweizen or other wheat beers?

I love them with a little lemon in them. I am more of a liquor man - love the jack and cokes - but I like that beer a lot.


Try them with an orange instead of a lemon. Its a nice change up.


I love wheat beers. Have you ever has a Tripel?

I've had the orange, It's good but I like the lemon more. Very Happy

I've never had a Trpel, would they have it at most bars?


I typed that wrong - I meant Triple.

Here is N.B.s take on it, its pretty good. I only drink 1 or 2 of these before the taste wears on me:
http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/trippel

Here is some info on Triples:
http://www.globalbeer.com/body_pages/pages-beer/Triples.html


Go to any good liquor store that has a large beer selectiona dn you will fuind a bunch. Its one of my fav. styles. Im mostly a yellow beer drinker (IPA, Wheats, ect).
_________________


Last edited by Matts4313 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SLCDallasFan


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 12816
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
SLCDallasFan wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
SLCDallasFan wrote:
What do people think about Hefeweizen or other wheat beers?

I love them with a little lemon in them. I am more of a liquor man - love the jack and cokes - but I like that beer a lot.


Try them with an orange instead of a lemon. Its a nice change up.


I love wheat beers. Have you ever has a Tripel?

I've had the orange, It's good but I like the lemon more. Very Happy

I've never had a Trpel, would they have it at most bars?


I typed that wrong - I meant Triple.

Here is N.B.s take on it, its pretty good. I only drink 1 or 2 of these before the taste wears on me:
http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/trippel

Here is some info on Triples:
http://www.globalbeer.com/body_pages/pages-beer/Triples.html


Hmm seems good I'll try it out next time I drink beer, thanks!
_________________

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9730715#9730715
"I concur about SLC. He's either town or a mafia phenom." - VikingsFan51
-It was the latter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17807
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLCDallasFan wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
SLCDallasFan wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
SLCDallasFan wrote:
What do people think about Hefeweizen or other wheat beers?

I love them with a little lemon in them. I am more of a liquor man - love the jack and cokes - but I like that beer a lot.


Try them with an orange instead of a lemon. Its a nice change up.


I love wheat beers. Have you ever has a Tripel?

I've had the orange, It's good but I like the lemon more. Very Happy

I've never had a Trpel, would they have it at most bars?


I typed that wrong - I meant Triple.

Here is N.B.s take on it, its pretty good. I only drink 1 or 2 of these before the taste wears on me:
http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/trippel

Here is some info on Triples:
http://www.globalbeer.com/body_pages/pages-beer/Triples.html


Hmm seems good I'll try it out next time I drink beer, thanks!


I actually did a review of the New Belgium Trippel on page 25.
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 37590
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
My favorite styles:

Scotch Ale
Porter
Dopplebock
Marzen
Red Ale
Brown Ale
Alt
Kolsh

Least Favorite
IPA
Pilsner
Imperial Stout
Barelywine
American Light Lager
Begian Trappist Ale


Wow - Our list are almost exactly opposite. That shows why they make so many different beers. Your bound to find a few you love. Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Waldo


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 22679
Location: The ATL
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
So I've been doing a little studying....

I've been trying to find major brands for a true German Helles available here (I am crazy into German beer right now), and come to find out that in fact one that has been right under my nose, Lowenbrau, is in fact one.

However there are two versions of it, garbo and good. One is a product licensed by Miller that has corn in the grain bill and is basically Miller in a different bottle.

The other (Lowenbrau Original) is a Munich Helles imported from Munich, and Lowenbrau is one of the major Munich Breweries (in addition to Weishenstephaner and Spaten).

Helles bock is basically maibock, am I right? I do love maibock.


Only real difference is that a helles is weaker than a maibock, other than that it is the same style and the line is blurred between them.
_________________

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanFuller003


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 20181
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samuel Adams' Honey Porter

I'm basically trying out all of Sam Adams' brews . . . they're very available, affordable, and people are a lot more willing to try them than some obscure brand that costs $5 for a single bottle.

This beer pours about as dark as a stout. It's opaque and there is no color even when held up to a light, though there's a dark brown hue when it gets low in the glass. The head is very thin and disappears nearly immediately, leaving no lacing.

The aroma of this beer is like heavy chocolate, toffee, and honey. Perhaps molasses as well. The hops are pretty well-hidden I would say, though some floral notes come through (though nothing like you'd find in a Brooklyn Lager, which is very notably floral-scented).

Flavor-wise, honey is dominant. It's a very sweet brew. The roasted malt takes a backseat, but it is certainly there and comes through pretty strong in the aftertaste. Hops are somewhat spicy, if still somewhat hidden. That's fine by me, because that's how I like them. It's balanced, but still on the sweet side. This isn't something you could drink one right after the other, but it's a good enough one to where you can look forward to drinking it.

I'm pretty impressed. This might be my favorite Samuel Adams beer to this point, and I've tried a pretty good amount of them (Light, Boston Lager, Cherry Wheat, Hefeweizen, Brown Ale, Blackberry Witbier, White Ale, Oktoberfest, Winter Lager, and Summer Ale; yep, this is the 11th). The Winter Lager is very good as well, but this probably takes the cake--then again, porter is quickly becoming my favorite style anyway.

Overall Grade: 7.5
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Waldo


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 22679
Location: The ATL
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote



Gaffel Kölsch

Gaffel is another Kölsh from Cologne, Germany. Brewed with ale yeast, but fermented a little cooler, and lagered cold after fermenting. This style is smooth and clean and easy drinking. It is precisely what big American Breweries tout at the desirable properties of their beer (clean, crisp, never bitter). It is summer beer in every sense of the phrase. 4.8% ABV.

Gaffel has a very nice malt flavor. Light malt with hints of toastyness. It uses light bittering hopping, and with no discernible flavor or aroma hops. The flavors are balanced, and there is a light fruityness.

This is another beer I have a hard time finding faults in. The bittering hops are a little more mild than Reissdorf.

I probably would not love this beer year round, but when the temperature is high, this is up there with my favorites.

Grade: 8.3
_________________

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Waldo


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 22679
Location: The ATL
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote



Weihenstephaner Festbier

Weihenstephaner is a German Brewery located just outside of Munich, and is one of 6 participants allowed to serve at Oktoberfest. Connect the dots on the name and brewery, and one would surmise that this is an Oktoberfest/Marzen style, however it says this nowhere and I would argue that in fact that this is not what it is. IMO it is a Bernsteinfarbenes style beer. This beer has three elements that does not fit with the normal Marzen style. It is lighter than a usual Marzen. There is definitely wheat malt used, something not seen in a Marzen. And there is a yeast residual, it is a little cloudy, again not typically found in an Oktoberfest. If any brewery is permitted to be creative with the definition of an Oktoberfest, this is it, but Bernsteinfarbenes is a style native to the area that in fact is similar to a Marzen but displays all of the differences that I noted this beer has.

This beer is slightly darker than a normal Weiss, almost like a hefe-weizen mixed with a Marzen. The esters of the yeast are clove like and slightly banana like, but not nearly as strong as one would expect in a usual hefe weizen. The malt has a slight caramel sweetness with toasty notes. There is some perceptible bittering hops, but no others.

I was really taken aback by this beer when I first tried it. I was expecting a true German Marzen, and I got....this. It however has really grown on me and I absolutely love it. It is very drinkable.

This is really worth a try. It is so different, yet IMO really good. If you get this beer expecting to get an Oktoberfest, expect to be disappointed, big time. If you have an open mind, this beer is quite good.

Grade: 8.1
_________________

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17807
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^

You seem to be on a pretty big German trip right now. Any reason?

A couple months ago, we went to a very good German restaurant in town. I tried one of the Pils they had on tap. It was forgettable enough that I couldn't remember the name to review it when I got home. Next time we go back, I'll take the little tour they have and see if you're lying about all of these.
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Waldo


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 22679
Location: The ATL
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
^^^^

You seem to be on a pretty big German trip right now. Any reason?

A couple months ago, we went to a very good German restaurant in town. I tried one of the Pils they had on tap. It was forgettable enough that I couldn't remember the name to review it when I got home. Next time we go back, I'll take the little tour they have and see if you're lying about all of these.


I dunno, I just have a taste for it right now. Lighter ales have just been bludgeoning my palette, and I haven't been in the mood for anything dark but Guinness 250th (god is that stuff good).

Really started last fall. I lost all interest all practically all beer but Oktoberfests, a style that I have loved for a long time, but really took it to a new level last year.

Its also one of those things, I feel all been there done that when it comes to Great Britan, Belgium, and the US. Germany is the new frontier (for me), I haven't tried nearly as much German beer as I should have given its place in brewing history.

I was this way with Belgium 5 years ago, but have come to really dislike Belgian beer since.
_________________

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 28105
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



this stuff is AMAZING!!!
you can only get it in Argentina tho... Sad
but it's got great flavor, as it is a red lager. It's a lil more filling than your average beer, but that's no problem with me. I shared this with my entire family, and we all were crazy for it!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mistakebytehlak


Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 45087
Location: Brooklyn, NY
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked Slavutych out of Ukraine and i just tried Rogue Chocolate Stout... both were very good, to me atleast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 34 of 100

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group