You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Dallas Syndrome

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightybk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: The Dallas Syndrome Reply with quote

I finally decided to start a topic for all of the TT haters that roam around on this board!

Let me explain what The Dallas Syndrome is:

No, its not the long-awaited sequel to The China Syndrome.... Brick wall

The Dallas Syndrome is the irresistable urge of a team and their fans to try to hold on to their aging veterans at the expense of future wins. Back in the 70's the Cowboys were one of the true juggernauts of the NFL. They had a massive amount of top-flight talent, which gave them many years of playoffs and 2 SB wins. But as the team moved into the 80's, Tom Landry had a propensity for wanting to keep his aging veterans around on the team. That fact, along with some bad drafting, caused the eventual collapse of the team in 1988, and got Landry fired when Jerry Jones bought the team. Jones completely flushed out the franchise of reminders of the good ol' days and began to build the team from scratch.

- He hired Jimmy Johnson
- In successive years he drafted Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Daryl Johnston, Russell Maryland, Larry Allen, etc, etc.

It took about 3 years before real progress could be realized, but eventually they won 3 SB's in 4 years.

If there were message boards like this back in 1988, I would bet they would be saying very similar stuff to what we see here today (JJ is an idiot!).

I really think it's time for the so-called Packer Fans to realize what TT is trying to do....Its not prudent to hold onto a 35 y/o fullback, a kicker that wants to work in a dome, a backup QB that has never shown anything more than backup skills, a center that seems to always have something hurt......i could keep going but I think my point is made.

The allure of a lot of salary cap room cannot override sound principles of building a team! Resigning Kampman is the right thing, given his age and productivity. Re-signing Green for an incentive-laden 1 year deal is just good business sense, as is not giving into a former pro bowl (but injured) WR's contract demands.

I'm a season ticket holder.....I was at the Cincinatti game when Brett came in and won the game.....I've been to all the playoff games at Lambeau......and I can tell you truthfully that it wouldn't bother me if Brett didnt come back. He's given so much the this franchise, but at some time you have to move on.

So to wrap up.....quit trying to hold on to your memories.....otherwise you dont give yourself a chance to grow and improve!
spilltray

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Seriously, I love reading stuff like this, even if I don't agree, the reasoning, and consideration are what I love about this place.

I agree with you on the bussiness decisions. I have to question the way you move on, away from Farve. I think he should be called on the carpet at least before the draft. The team deserves an answer.

I'd like to see one more year. A little help up front, Green and Gado and maybe another RB getting something like 700 yds apiece, Driver, Franks, and almost any other WR should be able to get 25 td passes. I know HE doesn't really care about records, but I know I'd love to see him hit 421.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fgs5635

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great post and I agree with it all except the Brett thing.
I'd like him to come back for one more year. But I'd like him to come back and say this is deffo going to be my last year. Then we can appreciate his last year and start making plans for next year.
Great post though and very well explained.
tdart314

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a TT hater, but nor am I much of a fan. I agree the fact aging veterns with fat contracts or fat demands and their best years behind them are not worth bargaining the future away.

What concerns me is the lack of FA moves. We stand in a position which GB has not seen for some time -cap room. The last time we dove into FA in a big way, Ron Wolf aquired Keith Jackson, Sean Jones, Brett Favre and Reggie White (not in any particular order), but my point is we went after big names to fill needs with veteran leadership. (Favre was the exception)

Now veterans are leaving and leadership is lacking. Its tough to see who from the recent draft and FA will step up. I'd just like to see a us be a little more aggressive.
USMC_PackFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Dallas Syndrome Reply with quote

mightybk wrote:
I really think it's time for the so-called Packer Fans to realize what TT is trying to do....Its not prudent to hold onto a 35 y/o fullback, a kicker that wants to work in a dome, a backup QB that has never shown anything more than backup skills, a center that seems to always have something hurt......i could keep going but I think my point is made.

The allure of a lot of salary cap room cannot override sound principles of building a team! Resigning Kampman is the right thing, given his age and productivity. Re-signing Green for an incentive-laden 1 year deal is just good business sense, as is not giving into a former pro bowl (but injured) WR's contract demands.

I'm a season ticket holder.....I was at the Cincinatti game when Brett came in and won the game.....I've been to all the playoff games at Lambeau......and I can tell you truthfully that it wouldn't bother me if Brett didnt come back. He's given so much the this franchise, but at some time you have to move on.

So to wrap up.....quit trying to hold on to your memories.....otherwise you dont give yourself a chance to grow and improve!

Well said. Applause Well said indeed.
epackfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdart314 wrote:
I am not a TT hater, but nor am I much of a fan. I agree the fact aging veterns with fat contracts or fat demands and their best years behind them are not worth bargaining the future away.

What concerns me is the lack of FA moves. We stand in a position which GB has not seen for some time -cap room. The last time we dove into FA in a big way, Ron Wolf aquired Keith Jackson, Sean Jones, Brett Favre and Reggie White (not in any particular order), but my point is we went after big names to fill needs with veteran leadership. (Favre was the exception)

Now veterans are leaving and leadership is lacking. Its tough to see who from the recent draft and FA will step up. I'd just like to see a us be a little more aggressive.

I agree more to this. It's not so much that we didn't know he would gut the team. I just wish he'd add more than 2nd stringers and perennial back-ups. Sherman may have made some mistakes, but at least he took the chance. It easier to critisize someone who takes a chance and fails, than to someone who doesn't take a chance at all. Granted,, Sherman may have lacked an eye for talent, but everything he did was aimed at making the franchise better and winning the division.

It's been 10 years since we won the superbowl. There's hardly any of them here yet. And we certainly haven't tried to break the bank on any of them. Really, there's not much comparison there. The GM's goal should be to line-up a repsectable team, that gives our coach a chance to win some games. You guys make it sound like Green Bay is an alcoholic and it has to reach the bottom before it can climb back up. There's a reason we have so much $$$. It's because we aren't spending it.

If TT doesn't make a bunch of moves, we may just hit the bottom. It's not pretty from the bottom. I remember it all too well. Year after year of "this is our year" or "the Pack will be back." When Wolf gutted the team, we weren't coming of of back-to-back-to-back Division Championships. We were coming off 2 decades of mediocrity and sub-par performances.
scannell1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullseye, finally someone who gets it. Big time teams arent built in one year and they arent built in FA anymore. It takes time. Let the Vikes give marginal players huge deals and let them enter salary cap hell. I do think we should have gone after Witherspoon though. He is young and talented

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: