Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HonoluluBlue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never claimed to be a beer connoisseur. Simply, I heavily prefer lager to ale and am inquiring about a beer to fit my tastes that is American made. Sam Adams Boston Lager has a bit of an after taste, IMO, and tastes almost like a lager. Any suggestions from The Boston Beer Company that might suit my tastes?

I have researched the beers you mentioned, but I'm questioning the availability. I'm looking for a beer that I would be able to consume at an average bar or purchase at an everyday store/bottle shop.

artwork by Kempes
diehardlionfan wrote:
Don't break a leg jumping off the bandwagon.
GO LIONS!!!!
the lone star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to try ten beers that I have not tried before during this summer.

I have not tried much, but I have tried almost everything u can find at a local gas station.

I'm looking for a unique gem that not too many people out there have tried, much less even heard about.

So I am asking for anyone that wants to compile a list of 10 beers that I could find somewhere in Dallas, Texas.

you can post in this thread or just pm me (pm would be the better option, but if you want to share with all, then go for this thread).

thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:

I have not tried much, but I have tried almost everything u can find at a local gas station.

I'm looking for a unique gem that not too many people out there have tried, much less even heard about.

So I am asking for anyone that wants to compile a list of 10 beers that I could find somewhere in Dallas, Texas.

you can post in this thread or just pm me (pm would be the better option, but if you want to share with all, then go for this thread).

thanks in advance!

I was pretty impressed with the Real Ale Brewery when I was in San Antonio, I'd imagine that it is available in Dallas.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HonoluluBlue wrote:
I never claimed to be a beer connoisseur. Simply, I heavily prefer lager to ale and am inquiring about a beer to fit my tastes that is American made. Sam Adams Boston Lager has a bit of an after taste, IMO, and tastes almost like a lager. Any suggestions from The Boston Beer Company that might suit my tastes?

I have researched the beers you mentioned, but I'm questioning the availability. I'm looking for a beer that I would be able to consume at an average bar or purchase at an everyday store/bottle shop.

I don't think that there is a lager with major national distribution that is not made or owned by AB, Coors, Miller, or Boston Beer. Schell and Shiner probably get the closest. Though right now the Sierra Nevada summer seasonal is a Summerfest lager, Sierra Nevada pretty much has national distribution. Not as bitter as SA, and a little lighter, but it has a good amount of flavoring hops (typical Sierra Nevada style), and is pretty good.

But what are you really looking for? Lager is a broad umbrella term that describes any beer made with bottom fermenting yeast. Pils, Helles, Marzen, Bock, Maibock, Urbock, Dopplebock, and American Light Lager are just some of the lager varieties. Marzen (Oketoberfest) are very malty and drinkable. Dopples are dark and super heavy (and strong). Pils are light and hoppy. American Light Lager is the absence of flavor.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
the lone star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
the lone star wrote:

thanks in advance!

I was pretty impressed with the Real Ale Brewery when I was in San Antonio, I'd imagine that it is available in Dallas.

never heard of it, but I'll definitely give it a try now.
any specific one from them that stands out in ur mind?

still looking for some more input tho!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
Waldo wrote:
the lone star wrote:

thanks in advance!

One of my favorite beers is Shiner Bock and lucky for you it's Texas based. It's a real treat and I am sure that you will find it in the Dallas area since I am able to get it in NC.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys I was wondering if you could review some more mainstream beer. Stuff that wont run me 12 bucks for a 6 pack. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
the lone star wrote:
Waldo wrote:
the lone star wrote:

thanks in advance!

One of my favorite beers is Shiner Bock and lucky for you it's Texas based. It's a real treat and I am sure that you will find it in the Dallas area since I am able to get it in NC.

definitely had shiner.
love the stuff.
Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhslinebacker wrote:
Hey guys I was wondering if you could review some more mainstream beer. Stuff that wont run me 12 bucks for a 6 pack. Thanks!

I've done a few that are fairly "mainstream." Try Goose Island Nut Brown Ale if you can find it (realistically all of their beers are pretty good; they're based in Chicago and have a fairly wide distribution). It will probably cost about $9 or $10 for a six pack.

Brooklyn is another solid brewery with a wide distribution base and their stuff will probably cost about $8 or $9 for a six-pack.

Sam Adams makes a lot of good stuff and they're available nation-wide. Same with Sierra Nevada.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HonoluluBlue wrote:
TrueViking28 wrote:
I had my first Sam Adam's a week ago, and I think it was Boston Lager. I must say that this was one of the worst tasting beers I can remember having.

I wouldn't say it's the worst tasting I've ever had, but I tried it a few days ago and I'd say there's definitely an after taste. It's supposed to be a lager but it reminds me of an ale.

I don't agree with you there, HonoluluBlue, it tastes like a classic lager to me. They do have a fairly high hop content though. Sam Adams' Boston Lager is just a fairly average beer that's a cut above the Bud/Miller/Coors junk, but it's available just about everywhere for a relatively low price.

HonoluluBlue wrote:

Blue Moon, Leinenkugel's Red, Sunset Wheat, Amber, and Summer Shandy are available at many bars in the Midwest, Sierra Nevada's popular, and Goose Island has a wide distribution base. Since you're in Northern Michigan you should be able to find Bell's beers at a lot of grocery stores and/or liquor stores in your area; they're based out of Comstock, MI and they make a lot of different varieties of beer.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Waldo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout

Guinness, the classic Irish Stout, you love it or hate it. This year marks the brewery's 250th anniversary; to commemorate the occasion the brewery produced a special formula.

I have only seen the 250th Anniversary Stout available via bottle, without the draught cracker. At first this made me very leery, I'm not a fan of regular Guinness in a bottle without the cracker, at all.

Call me surprised. Boy this is good beer. Not nearly as dry as its more usual counterpart. It used a more varied grain profile, more hops, and a more flavorful yeast than regular Guinness. The aftertaste is really good, and lingers for a long time.

This is definitely a stout, and an Irish Stout. Not nearly as Americanized as the stouts you get over here, this really retains its British/Irish character. It is very complex and all the parts are very well balanced.

This really is one of my favorite stouts. It is so very good. I should have got it long ago. I'm going to have to keep at least one in the fridge until I can't find it anymore. I usually don't like stouts as much as Porters, but this one I'd take over almost any Porter.

Grade - 8.6

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Waldo,

How hard was the Guinness to find? Did they charge a ton, and how big was the pack? It's on I'll definitely have to try.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Waldo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Hey Waldo,

How hard was the Guinness to find? Did they charge a ton, and how big was the pack? It's on I'll definitely have to try.

Nah, it was about what a usual 6er goes for, maybe a buck more. I've seen it at a few different liquor stores, so I imagine that it isn't that hard to find.

6 pack. The bottles aren't quite 12 oz though, like 11.2 or something.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:

Grade - 8.6

Shocked Really? Out of curiosity, what would you give regular Guinness on your scale? I'm not actually much of a fan of Guinness, especially the extra stout, which I thought was downright bad.

MrDrew wrote:

BobSacamano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Waldo wrote:

Grade - 8.6

Shocked Really? Out of curiosity, what would you give regular Guinness on your scale? I'm not actually much of a fan of Guinness, especially the extra stout, which I thought was downright bad.
I'm not a fan of regular guiness we get over here either, but when I was in Dublin I tasted some very good brews they make. They're very capable.

I've yet to try the 250th anv, but I sure plan to.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
last year's vikings were far better than the packers team that just won

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 28 of 100

Jump to: