Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13sieve wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
The problem with threads like these is that they get over-run with posts from guys who know nothing more than getting drunk. They don't realize that there is an art to making beer, and of course, it costs more to brew a higher quality. Instead of enjoying a high quality work of art, they'd rather spend $5 on a 6-pack of garbage, because "it gets the job done".

So instead of making posts about how Coors Light is the best because it's cheap, learn about good beer. Learn about what the different scents and tastes are. Learn what the different styles are. Learn what a lager actually is, and what it takes to make it, instead of believing it's what Bud is because it's on the can. You wouldn't go into a wine tasting room and tell everybody the boxed stuff is the best because it's cheap, so why do it here?

Accually, i really do like this beer. It taste better in my tastes. I dont like stuff the does down like syrup. yuck, thick beer has never been my thing. So im just wondering if its an art. Then why isnt the best beer the most popular? I dont belive the ones that you that are rated that high you can get in any ole liquer store? I believe all the great painting are up on display for everyone to look at and everybody can relize what it is. but man, nobody knows these syrup tasing beers you have.

I'll stick with my good tasting go down smooth, sit back and relax on the chair in the front yard and drink with my buddies kinda beer first.

The belief that a great beer has to be dark and heavy is a total misconception. If you read through my reviews, you'd see there's lighter beers, and they got really good reviews. Like I said, learn about the different styles. There's a lot out there, and not all of them are dark.

The reason a lot of these great beers aren't as common is money. It takes a lot more ingredients to make a great beer. There's also a tax for a business to ship alcohol across state lines, and a lot of people are afraid to spend $8-$10 on a six pack to try it. The smaller breweries are trying to make the money to distribute across the country. It takes years to get the reputation to make the money grow into a brewery that can produce enough beer that they can distribute nation wide. Even the biggest of the craft brewers, like Sierra Nevada and New Belgium, started off in somebody's garage. Not everything that's the best is mass produced.

The post you quoted wasn't directed at people that like the cheap beer. It was directed at the people that want to come in here and post about how it's better because it gets you drunk for cheaper. Not everybody drinks beer to get drunk. Plus if you look at most of the reviews, there was a lot that went into them. Somebody coming in here saying they can get drunk on Keystone for $5, isn't the point of this thread.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
13sieve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
13sieve wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
The problem with threads like these is that they get over-run with posts from guys who know nothing more than getting drunk. They don't realize that there is an art to making beer, and of course, it costs more to brew a higher quality. Instead of enjoying a high quality work of art, they'd rather spend $5 on a 6-pack of garbage, because "it gets the job done".

So instead of making posts about how Coors Light is the best because it's cheap, learn about good beer. Learn about what the different scents and tastes are. Learn what the different styles are. Learn what a lager actually is, and what it takes to make it, instead of believing it's what Bud is because it's on the can. You wouldn't go into a wine tasting room and tell everybody the boxed stuff is the best because it's cheap, so why do it here?

Accually, i really do like this beer. It taste better in my tastes. I dont like stuff the does down like syrup. yuck, thick beer has never been my thing. So im just wondering if its an art. Then why isnt the best beer the most popular? I dont belive the ones that you that are rated that high you can get in any ole liquer store? I believe all the great painting are up on display for everyone to look at and everybody can relize what it is. but man, nobody knows these syrup tasing beers you have.

I'll stick with my good tasting go down smooth, sit back and relax on the chair in the front yard and drink with my buddies kinda beer first.

The belief that a great beer has to be dark and heavy is a total misconception. If you read through my reviews, you'd see there's lighter beers, and they got really good reviews. Like I said, learn about the different styles. There's a lot out there, and not all of them are dark.

The reason a lot of these great beers aren't as common is money. It takes a lot more ingredients to make a great beer. There's also a tax for a business to ship alcohol across state lines, and a lot of people are afraid to spend $8-$10 on a six pack to try it. The smaller breweries are trying to make the money to distribute across the country. It takes years to get the reputation to make the money grow into a brewery that can produce enough beer that they can distribute nation wide. Even the biggest of the craft brewers, like Sierra Nevada and New Belgium, started off in somebody's garage. Not everything that's the best is mass produced.

The post you quoted wasn't directed at people that like the cheap beer. It was directed at the people that want to come in here and post about how it's better because it gets you drunk for cheaper. Not everybody drinks beer to get drunk. Plus if you look at most of the reviews, there was a lot that went into them. Somebody coming in here saying they can get drunk on Keystone for $5, isn't the point of this thread.

Ok man thanks i understand this now. see at least you came out straight with me. the guy before was a big meany. see i didnt mean "get the job done" as u think i did also, kinda just a line we use hear in adrian. Dont get me wrong tho, i do drink beer. alot of it. i mean i just dont see ME paying 4-6 dollars for a can of beer that i might not like. Most beers that i have tried that i have never heard of are dark thick beers. Im sorry i will take my previous statement back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13sieve wrote:
ienjoythesnow wrote:
there's a reason why more people go to mcdonalds more than any other restaurant and it's not because the food tastes good.

Applebees>almost any 5* restraunt i ate at. plus its $50 cheeper a plate.
I dont eat Mcdonalds so dont speak for me

where in my quote did i ever say you ate at mcdonalds?

5 star restaurants cost about EDIT: more like 300 dollars more than any applebees dish. the fact that you think it's 50 tells me you've never been to one (there's less than 50 in the country). shoot i've never even been to a 4 star.

RaiderX with the assist^^
13sieve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:
13sieve wrote:
ienjoythesnow wrote:
there's a reason why more people go to mcdonalds more than any other restaurant and it's not because the food tastes good.

Applebees>almost any 5* restraunt i ate at. plus its $50 cheeper a plate.
I dont eat Mcdonalds so dont speak for me

where in my quote did i ever say you ate at mcdonalds?

5 star restaurants cost about 500 dollars more than any applebees per plate. the fact that you think it's 50 tells me you've never been to one (there's less than 50 in the country). shoot i've never even been to a 4 star.

easy, im done with this thread before it gets closed no need for that. sorry for not being able to put my thought into a thread. on a forum.
Code:
a public meeting or assembly for open discussion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^Dudes, is this necessary...., just let it go, don't worry about it. Have a beer.

MrDrew wrote:
The belief that a great beer has to be dark and heavy is a total misconception.

One of my highest rated ones is probably one of the lightest ones reviewed in this thread.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
13sieve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
^^^^Dudes, is this necessary...., just let it go, don't worry about it. Have a beer.

MrDrew wrote:

One of my highest rated ones is probably one of the lightest ones reviewed in this thread.

No its not, thats why i quit.

And ok, someone should give me some of your fav light beers. im not a fan of heavy dark beers. Give me some advise. I changed my mind and i think im going to make a trip to sioux falls tommorow to go to a larger liquor store to find some of this stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13sieve wrote:
Waldo wrote:

MrDrew wrote:

No its not, thats why i quit.

And ok, someone should give me some of your fav light beers. im not a fan of heavy dark beers. Give me some advise. I changed my mind and i think im going to make a trip to sioux falls tommorow to go to a larger liquor store to find some of this stuff.

If you check out the original post, I've linked just about every good informative review in this thread.

Pilsners are light beers. Floral hops, and light malt.

Alts are probably the taste you associate with Coors/Miller. But really good.

Kolsh beers are typically pretty light.

Wheat beers are really usually light. They tend to have a fruity banana type flavor.

Cream Ales are light.

The hops my be a bit hash in an EPA (Extra Pale Ale), but they are pretty light.

There are two types of golden ales. Belgian Golden Ales are light colored but very heavy and powerful beers (very flavorful). American Golden Ales are usually very light beers.

Guinness is one of the lightest macrobrews in the world. Pretty much just as light as the average light beer brewed by the American Megas. Just has a powerful flavor. At first it is not easy to separate heavy from strong tasting. They are not the same. (The beers listed above are nothing like that. All are very light styles, without powerful flavors).

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

13sieve wrote:

You can look to some of the wheat beers listed here. They all are at least decent, and wheats are very light. The others I reviewed that would be worth trying are:

Mama's Little Yellow Pils from Oskar Blues Brewery. It a pilsner, which is a very light lager. Yellow in color, and very easy to drink. This particular one will run about $10 a 6 pack, and it's well worth it.

Tire Bite Golden Ale from Flying Dog Ales. It's a Kölsch ale, which is also light and clear yellow in color. Different than a Pilsner, but not too far off. This one will run about $7-$9 for a six.

It's a huge list, but here's some descriptions of beer styles.

http://www.beertown.org/education/pdf/AOB_Beer_Styles_2004.pdf

ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone's 11th Anniversary Ale
ABV: 8.7%

Aged for a year and a half, the carbonation is darker than the picture and is definitely a little thicker with crazy dark black color. Smell is very bitter, with a coffee/rich malt smell. Taste is pretty darn bitter as well but still has its fair share of malts, pretty good balance, doesn't really taste like an american strong ale, more like a really dark ipa. Definitely a thick beer, the tastes i could pick out were of molasses, coffee and chocolate maltiness. Never tried it fresh, but i will say that it aged nicely.

My Rating: 7.3

RaiderX with the assist^^
Waldo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. Peter's Old Style Porter

Shocked

St. Peters is an old style Porter brewed in Suffolk England. Porter beer originally started as a cheaper way to enjoy good beer. Heavy, aged expensive beer (old ale) was combined with a younger lighter bitter, the result is what was originally known as Porter. It was much cheaper than Old Ale, but more expensive than a light bitter. Over the years the definition has changed, the modern definition being a black/very, very dark ale that lacks roasted barley (stout).

This beer is like a light version of an old imperial Porter. Old Imperial Porter is a style I've never had a good American version of, but I highly suggest all dark beer lovers seek it out, it is very distinct. This beer has the hallmark flavor or it, but it is lighter and smoother, and has an added layer of complexity. It has the whole ultra heavy/merged into one flavor thing going on, but also a light slightly smokey tasting bitter that is fairly clean, combined. The flavors are a very excellent mix. Wow what a good beer.

The malt complexity of this beer is some of the widest I've tasted. The full spectrum of caramelized malt flavors merged into a whole in a heavy aged beer, mixed with a lighter beer that has a some peat smoked malt, in addition to some young lighter caramelized malt.

Gosh, I'm at a loss to think of negatives. Were it my beer I would have upped the dark caramelized malt profile of the younger beer. But that is very ticky tack.

I've seen this beer a lot, but never took the plunge and picked it up. I should of, I absolutely love it. There are so many layers. So many flavors. This is a dream beer for people who love Porters.

Grade: 8.7

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^

Why must you tease me with a beer that's not available in CO. You horrible person.

Waldo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samuel Adams Double Bock

First off, dudes at SA, major lame factor in calling a Dopplebock a "Double Bock". I know that technically that is what it means, but come on......lame.

SA has a new Imperial Series of beers out, priced similar to a 6 pack, but only 4 bottles to a pack (at least I think it is new, I haven't seen it before). I gotta give SA props at least for their work in the last year or two. The Brewmasters series and the Imperial series that I've had have all been very good beers, plus represent many styles/flavors that aren't very common in the US. SA's Red is one of my favorite beers.

The bottle says that there is nearly half a pound of malt per beer. I'm gonna have to call BS on that one; unless their yield is atrocious, in homebrewers terms that is 25 lbs of malt to a 5 gallon batch; even if I was getting moderate yield, I'd be pushing 20% ABV or more if I had a yeast that could handle it.

Anyway, Dopplebock is a German style, basically the Lager equivalent of a heavy Scotch Ale, low hops, very strong, wide array of malt flavor. This beer is hopped very low relative to the amount of malt, and the only detectable hops are bittering hops. It packs a whallop though, coming in at around 9.5% abv. It is a little cleaner drinking than the heavy Scotch Ales or Barley Wines, the lagering helping to round the flavors. There isn't much darker malt used, the reddish color more the result of a ridiculous amount of light malt moreso that any darker caramelized malt. There is a fair amount of residual sweetness in this brew.

This is a fine example of the style, perhaps a bit young. It is very easy drinking for a beer this heavy. This beer tastes like what it smells like when you are are doing a starch-sugar conversion (mashing) when brewing. Almost exactly.

Unfortunately I don't think that this one is bottle conditioned. Too bad. If this beer had yeast, it would be one to hide in the back of the fridge and leave for a year or two. I think that it would greatly add to the beer.

This is a fine example of a style that I really love. There is so much that you can do with the style, but SA opted instead to make a simple style true brew, which is something that I respect their brewery for a great deal. It seems lately a lot of their variety stuff is less about crazy novel brews, and just back to the basics on styles that aren't as common, big kudos to their brewers for doing that. This surely is not the best dopplebock that I've ever had, but I'd put it up agaisnt anything domestically produced. It lacks the "it' factor though of the really spectacular beers.

Grade: 7.5

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
13sieve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ladies and gentalmen. I went out and tried a new beer. My cousin is from austrailia. He brought over some beer this weekend with him. I think i have found my new favourite beer.

Its called...

James Boags Light

it has just light a great taste, i have never even heard of this stuff until now. Im going to keep going out and trying new beers. I like this. I am real glad you guys changed my mind about beer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budweiser American Ale

After wavering on this for a while, I was finally put in a situation where I almost had to get it (rest of the selection at the bar was terrible), now a day later my hotel has free beer, and this is on tap. Not bad. I wouldn't call it an American Ale per se, I think flavor wise it is much more similar to a Red Ale. But hoppier. It has a fairly strong amount of diacetyl, a fermentation byproduct of some yeasts, that leaves a distinctive butterscotch flavor. I am shocked by both the bittering hop levels and the distinctiveness of the flavor hops (in fact it may be dry hopped as well). It is like a lighter, hoppier version of SA's Red, much better than Killians.

It is definitely not expected out of an American mega. Though they still cheaped out on the ingredients somewhat and it sticks to that "clean, crisp, never heavy" mantra they push, this beer actually has flavor. The hops are distinct and a major portion of the flavor, yet not overdone.

I wish they just went all in and actually brewed something a little heavier. Very easy drinking though. I guess you gotta ease in the customer base, can't give them complete shock, the hop levels are shocking enough.

I dig the overall flavors of it, and definitely will consider getting it again, especially since it is a couple bucks cheaper than most micros, and the ones that are cheaper tend to suck. This is better than most of the bad cheap micros. Overall it is a well crafted beer, I always knew the mega brewmasters could run circles around their micro counterparts if they wanted to, and this is an example of it. Granted it still doesn't have the micro pov to spare no expenses on ingredients, you can tell that they still held back and had to work under a very limited budget. But, that said they did manage to produce a pretty good beer.

If you are a mega drinker and want one to try just to test the micro world, this is a very good choice, a little cheaper, and lighter versions of the flavors, but still well crafted.

Grade: 5.5

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Ale Brewhouse Brown Ale

I'm visiting San Antonio this week, while I'm here I figured I'd check out some of the local brews that I can't get in Georgia. Kinda lame that the brewery (Real Ale Brewing in Blanco, Tx) took the name of the British craft brewing movement, even lamer that they aren't bottle conditioned, one of the tenets of the Real Ale movement (carbonation to be developed by an extra fermentation step with an added sugar at bottling, as opposed to carbonated via pressurization).

This is a dark brown ale, not like the much lighter Newcastle. The bulk of the malt flavor comes from a good amount of dark crystal malt, there is very little actual dark malt added. There is some discernible hop bitterness, and little other hop contribution. Most of the flavors come from the caramelized malt, which are sweet and nutty, and some biscuit like flavor.

This is a smooth and tasty beer. It isn't overly complex, but they did a good job with this beer. I like the sweet flavor of it and how "brown" it tastes.

I wish they would have added a bit more dark malt, to hint of it. I think that would have made a world of difference with this beer. To really take it to that next level.

This is pretty good stuff. A very good example of the style. I like it, and wish that it was available back home in Georgia.

Grade: 7.5

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 23 of 100

Jump to: